What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor on NRL 360

watatank

Coach
Exactly. Melbourne have to travel twice as much as our squad and i'm fairly sure they do okay.

This excuse is based on travel time to training only. He implies that other clubs have it 'easier' because most players live closer to where they train/play, even though we don't have to board a plane every second week. Can't make this stuff up.

It's a massive cop out. Kogarah and WIN Stadium are about an hour apart at most and most of the Sydney players live in the Sutherland Shire which is closer! It's mostly freeway and traffic is not that bad.

Saintsified

Bench
Please throw everything at Paul Green.
What if Mary wins a premiership this year? Do we throw everything at him too for next contract ? Can happen with the players we now have. Paul Green struck gold at Cowboys doubt he would've won a title with us had he of been coaching. Green and Robinson have a Ricky Stuart smell about them.

giboz71

First Grade
This excuse is based on travel time to training only. He implies that other clubs have it 'easier' because most players live closer to where they train/play, even though we don't have to board a plane every second week. Can't make this stuff up.

It's a massive cop out. Kogarah and WIN Stadium are about an hour apart at most and most of the Sydney players live in the Sutherland Shire which is closer! It's mostly freeway and traffic is not that bad.

I have no idea why this comes up time again?? They are a professional footy team ffs, and he’s talking about players having trouble getting to training????

It’s just his way of deflecting blame if he doesn’t get results. It’s like he wants this excuse up his sleeve in case he needs it.

And I’m sure it was an issue when Brown and Bennett were coach as well and they perennially got our team to play finals.

grouch

First Grade
What if Mary wins a premiership this year? Do we throw everything at him too for next contract ? Can happen with the players we now have. Paul Green struck gold at Cowboys doubt he would've won a title with us had he of been coaching. Green and Robinson have a Ricky Stuart smell about them.
You are completely out of your mind

giboz71

First Grade

Mate, Paul Green got the Cows to the Grand Final without JT and Matt Scott and a backline possibly slower than ours.

He had plenty of excuses to put the cue in the rack for the year but he didn’t. He got his team up even without the worlds best half and prop.

The guy can flat out coach.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Mary makes both Green & Robinson look like Rocket Scientists. They both can think on their feet and articulate with sense & purpose. Mary opens his mouth firstly and speaks in cliches & deflected Spin.

How can you even compare Robinson with Green?
Chalk and cheese...

Life's Good

Coach

Robinson I can agree with(although an upgrade on Mary). Green, absolutely no way.

watatank

Coach
I have no idea why this comes up time again?? They are a professional footy team ffs, and he’s talking about players having trouble getting to training????

It’s just his way of deflecting blame if he doesn’t get results. It’s like he wants this excuse up his sleeve in case he needs it.

And I’m sure it was an issue when Brown and Bennett were coach as well and they perennially got our team to play finals.

All part of the narrative if things don't go our way. We had our battles, we worked hard, what people don't realise is there were all these mitigating factors...etc, etc. It's also something for the journalists to ask during the season, allows the narrative to be controlled further.

Most of the team was based in Wollongong but I think this year more than ever we have a higher percentage of players that are based in Sydney.

BennyV

Referee
All part of the narrative if things don't go our way. We had our battles, we worked hard, what people don't realise is there were all these mitigating factors...etc, etc. It's also something for the journalists to ask during the season, allows the narrative to be controlled further.

Most of the team was based in Wollongong but I think this year more than ever we have a higher percentage of players that are based in Sydney.
In addition to that, its him deflecting blame for last years' capitulation. Everyone can see that we fell down the ladder based on his game plan not being sustainable, his rotation of players (bench and reserve grade) being por and resulting in player burn out, and his lack of ability to adapt to opposition developing their game plan and nullifying ours.

But he's doing his all to find another excuse - in this instance, the fact that the players had to travel a bit further to training leading to them being tired and unable to keep up the effort all year (and in the second half of games). This gives him the added benefit of being able to paint him out as being a proactive problem solver, adjusting training schedules this year to avoid that burnout.

Of course, when other teams do realise the the formula to shut us down hasnt changed and we start falling down the ladder, he still has the ready made excuse.

This cycle of self promotion, blame shifting and excuse mongering is the reason that this clown is such an embarrassment to our club.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Obviously Mc Fookknuckle has never heard of "squinters".
There is a whole world of poor bastards that would kill to travel less than 2 hours to and from work every day let alone having to divert past the pre school to pick up kids etc.
Me thinks he may be lining up the ducks because after all if it starts to go south "he has the roster he wants" so nowhere to go there when trying to find excuses.
I agree OT...poor boys having to travel....FMD when I worked for Sutherand Shire Council in the workshop (admittedly a long time ago) a lot of 1st graders were garbos (they used to run and empty metal bins back then )and brickies labourers or did roof tiling etc and worked their arses off..then had to go to training of a nightime after work....even blokes like John Sattler and Ken Maddison used to come in once a week as sales reps they drove around Sydney all day long, that was their job...players after busting their butts on a Sat or Sun would then have to get up for work on the Monday and go to work....players today on a Monday get someone to fill their bubble bath and after that get their bums powdered.....players I worked with their recovery sessions were get up at 4am on a Monday morning and empty 1800 garbage bins.....and I dont mean the wheelie ones.....and they talk today about burn out...and players in Sydney having to drive to training......as I said FMD

LINESPEED

Juniors
In addition to that, its him deflecting blame for last years' capitulation. Everyone can see that we fell down the ladder based on his game plan not being sustainable, his rotation of players (bench and reserve grade) being por and resulting in player burn out, and his lack of ability to adapt to opposition developing their game plan and nullifying ours.

But he's doing his all to find another excuse - in this instance, the fact that the players had to travel a bit further to training leading to them being tired and unable to keep up the effort all year (and in the second half of games). This gives him the added benefit of being able to paint him out as being a proactive problem solver, adjusting training schedules this year to avoid that burnout.

Of course, when other teams do realise the the formula to shut us down hasnt changed and we start falling down the ladder, he still has the ready made excuse.

This cycle of self promotion, blame shifting and excuse mongering is the reason that this clown is such an embarrassment to our club.

Mary would've been shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic
There are elephants in the room you fuc*wit Mary

ALSGI

Bench
I agree OT...poor boys having to travel....FMD when I worked for Sutherand Shire Council in the workshop (admittedly a long time ago) a lot of 1st graders were garbos (they used to run and empty metal bins back then )and brickies labourers or did roof tiling etc and worked their arses off..then had to go to training of a nightime after work....even blokes like John Sattler and Ken Maddison used to come in once a week as sales reps they drove around Sydney all day long, that was their job...players after busting their butts on a Sat or Sun would then have to get up for work on the Monday and go to work....players today on a Monday get someone to fill their bubble bath and after that get their bums powdered.....players I worked with their recovery sessions were get up at 4am on a Monday morning and empty 1800 garbage bins.....and I dont mean the wheelie ones.....and they talk today about burn out...and players in Sydney having to drive to training......as I said FMD
Yep, FMD.
Good rant BSE, totally agree mate.

There’s also other issues on the bus they have to deal with that increases burn out like;

1. Bluetooth will only do one phone at a time.
2. Accounting hassles with splitting bills for hire, fuel, etc Tax receipts etc.
3. Driver roster.
4. Stress of bumper to bumper traffic going in the opposite direction.
5. Police speed traps while trying to get away from paparazi following them.
6. Que at Macca’s drive through.
7. Ventilation when somebody farts.
8. Picking a radio station.
9. No air bags in the back seats.
10. 4G blackspots.
11. ........ I’m sure there are other inconveniences I haven’t thought of.

Poor dears, don’t know how they do it, FMD.

In fairness to the players they haven’t raised it as an issue publically - the painter and decorator did which makes it more mind numbing.

Life's Good

Coach
Yep, FMD.
Good rant BSE, totally agree mate.

There’s also other issues on the bus they have to deal with that increases burn out like;

1. Bluetooth will only do one phone at a time.
2. Accounting hassles with splitting bills for hire, fuel, etc Tax receipts etc.
3. Driver roster.
4. Stress of bumper to bumper traffic going in the opposite direction.
5. Police speed traps while trying to get away from paparazi following them.
6. Que at Macca’s drive through.
7. Ventilation when somebody farts.
8. Picking a radio station.
9. No air bags in the back seats.
10. 4G blackspots.
11. ........ I’m sure there are other inconveniences I haven’t thought of.

Poor dears, don’t know how they do it, FMD.

In fairness to the players they haven’t raised it as an issue publically - the painter and decorator did which makes it more mind numbing.
And that is a fine point you make. The players have accepted responsibility for the fade of last year yet SuperCoach looks for an excuse plucked from the WTF handbook(tries from kicks, leading at HT, 98mtr fieldsetc).
Just come out and say ‘I got this, this & this wrong but was happy with this & this & will work on it....’ Show some humility or are you that thick to believe we buy the sh*t you are trying to sell(personally I believe he is which is another blight on the club for not clipping him over the ears about his media presence).

Life's Good

Coach
So Green would've won a title with us ?
I’m not sure why you’re asking me that question as I never mentioned anything of the sort in my reply(please read again).

I simply disagreed with your comment that Green has a ‘Ricky Stuart smell.....’. I can live with the Robinson comparison as I expressed in my initial reply.