What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers show us how to defend

possm

Coach
2 weeksvin a row the tigers have put in a defensive Masterclass against the 2 comp favourites.

The in your face defensive style has really upset the 2 comp heavyweights and shown other clubs how best to defeat these 2 teams. Hats off to Ivan Cleary !
Packer is looking good as Tigers captain. I think we will really miss him this year.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
2 weeksvin a row the tigers have put in a defensive Masterclass against the 2 comp favourites.

The in your face defensive style has really upset the 2 comp heavyweights and shown other clubs how best to defeat these 2 teams. Hats off to Ivan Cleary !
I love it when you drink-post..

kit66

Bench
The Tiges are my 2nd favourite team and it's great to finally see them turn a corner.
What a mighty effort tonight despite the refs, Smith and playing in Melbourne, great work. You have to applaud Cleary. Nice to see Benji come good too, he's a nice bloke and has always been a great role model for the kids.
I haven't enjoyed a game that much since last Thursday, maybe longer.
they'll need to score more points though if they want to beat us.;)

2 weeks in a row the tigers have put in a defensive Masterclass against the 2 comp favourites.

The “in your face” defensive style has really upset the 2 comp heavyweights and shown other clubs how best to defeat these 2 teams. Hats off to Ivan Cleary !
The Tigers were inspirational 2 weeks in a row.
There has been a train of thought on here that a good roster and a poor coach combination can still be successful.
Clearly has already shown that to be BS.
What he has achieved since taking over the basket case Tigers, is nothing short of amazing.
There were signs of improvement last year but this year he has them defending like demons and having the belief to win tight games.
One can only speculate as to why we didn't pull out all the stops to sign Cleary when he was available - but there was no way he was coming to us just to become a yes man.
Hard to believe that we had a number of coaching options but settled for McGregor.

Saint or sinner

Juniors
It just goes to show it's an open comp this year and any team can be beaten... I think all wins will be very important and the top 8 might come down to last round with several teams fighting for it.. Good to get off to a great start and should be 3 from 3 next week if we are serious about making top 6

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
How good is Benji under a real coach? His two & a half years under McAnchor looked like he was in a sink hole. It spiralled his career & earning capacity backwards.

Couldn't agree more, and I reckon that once retired, Marshall will have a Steve Rogers type epiphany and publicly state that his Dragon years were wasted.

I noted with interest that Marshall was quoted as saying that Wayne Bennett helped him discover his passion for league again...words to that effect anyway. This was a massive slap in the face to Paul McGregor.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Post game, did anyone notice the entire Tigers' outfit form a circle with Packer mouthing off a few words?

Are there any good lip readers who want to take a stab at what he said?

BennyV

Referee
The Tigers were inspirational 2 weeks in a row.
There has been a train of thought on here that a good roster and a poor coach combination can still be successful.
Clearly has already shown that to be BS.
What he has achieved since taking over the basket case Tigers, is nothing short of amazing.
There were signs of improvement last year but this year he has them defending like demons and having the belief to win tight games.
One can only speculate as to why we didn't pull out all the stops to sign Cleary when he was available - but there was no way he was coming to us just to become a yes man.
Hard to believe that we had a number of coaching options but settled for McGregor.
Cleary is a fantastic coach and I have a solid ‘lol’ at those claiming he isn’t as good as Mary nor that he wasn’t the best coach available.

Sure, he doesn’t have the ultimate title next to his name but he took the perennially underachieving Warriors to a grand final, he basically built Penrith from the ground up to take them deep into the finals (would have done much better last year than Griffin did) and is getting off on the right foot at the Tigpies.
What’s most impressive is his attitude. He doesn’t splash his face in the media promoting second-rate achievements like falling into 8th, he doesn’t peddle excuses or bitch and moan about having the team he wants or the field being 2m too long, no blame shifting to recruitment or ‘the attacking coach from North QLD’ and he doesn’t bring out random stats in order to try and paint himself out to be less of a failure. He just puts his head down and gets the job done. Takes ACTUAL accountability for his coaching. I’m envious of those with a coach like him.