What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Roster: Gains & Losses

One Warrior

Bench
Sam Lisone re-signed until the end of 2020.

Vodafone Warriors sign Lisone until 2020

Front rower Sam Lisone has signed a new two-year contract to keep him at the Vodafone Warriors until the end of the 2020 NRL season.

Lisone, who turned 24 today, was off-contract at the end of this season but has recommitted to the club in a deal which will extend his Vodafone Warriors career to at least six seasons.

Preparing for his fourth campaign since his debut in 2015, the Toa Samoa international has clocked up 63 appearances so far – he missed just one game in 2017 – leaving him in line to join the club’s 100-game club some time during the 2019 campaign.

“We’re delighted we’ve been able to keep Sam here despite interest from other clubs,” said Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith.

“He’s another example of a player who has come through our system and has developed into a really important member of our NRL squad. He now has the opportunity to step up to the next level and to continue improving his game.”

An Otahuhu Leopards junior, Lisone was snared by the Vodafone Warriors after standing out for Tangaroa College.

“It’s awesome knowing I have another two years here,” said Lisone.

“I’ve learned so much at the club over the last few years from the experienced players in the squad and it’s been great having Blairy here to help the younger forwards like me. Now it’s time to step up and take on more responsibility.”

Lisone had a stellar NYC career, finishing it in the 2014 grand final when he played his milestone 50th game in helping the Stacey Jones-coached Vodafone Junior Warriors to the premiership.

By round one of the 2015 season, Lisone was making his NRL debut against Newcastle and went on to play 19 times in his rookie year, following it up with 21 appearances in 2016. In his first two seasons he started just three times but was a starting forward in seven matches last year including each of the last six games.

SAM LISONE

Date of birth: February 19, 1994

Birthplace: Auckland, NZ

Junior Club: Otahuhu Leopards

Position: Prop

Height: 184cm

Weight: 106kg

Rep Honours: 4 Tests Samoa (2015-2017)

Previous Clubs: Nil

NRL Debut: v Newcastle, Hunter Stadium, 07/03/2015 (Rd 1)

Vodafone Warriors No: 196

NRL Career: 63 appearances (2015-2017)

NYC Career: 50 appearances (2013-2014)

NYC Points: 60 (15 tries)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/02/19/vodafone-warriors-sign-lisone-until-2020/

One Warrior

Bench
Current Squad/year contract expires

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2022
Nathaniel Roache 2020
Sam Lisone 2020
Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papalii 2019
Shaun Johnson 2019
James Gavet 2019
Ligi Sao 2019
Blake Ayshford 2019
Charnze Nicole-Klokstad 2019
Mason Lino 2019
Lewis Soosemea 2019
Joe Vuna 2019
Chris Satae 2019
Albert Vete 2019
Hayze Perham 2019
Isaac Luke 2018
Simon Mannering 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Jazz Tevega 2018
Junior Pauga 2018
Zac Santo 2018
Manaia Cherrington 2018
Patrick Sipley 2018
Donovan Briggs 2018
Sam Cook 2018?
Tevin Arona 2018?

Losses

Ryan Hoffman (Melbourne Storm)
Kieran Foran (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Ben Matulino (West Tigers)
Toafofoa Sipley (Manly Sea Eagles)
Ofahiki Ogden (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Manu Vatuvei (Salford Red Devils)
Matt Allwood (Wyynum)
Bureta Faraimo (Hull FC)
Jacob Lillyman (Newcastle Knights)
Bodene Thompson (Leigh Centurions)
Etene Nanai (Waikato Chiefs)
Jordan Pinnock (Redcliffe Dolphins ISC)
Ata Hingano (Canberra Raiders)

Gains

Tohu Harris 2021 (Melbourne Storm)
Leivaha Pulu 2020 (Gold Coast Titans)
Gerard Beale 2020 (Cronulla Sharks)
Adam Blair 2020 (Brisbane Broncos)
Peta Hiku 2020 (Warrington Wolves)
Matiu Love-Henry 2018 (Brisbane Broncos)
Agnatius Paasi 2019 (Gold Coast Titans)
Blake Green 2020 (Manly Sea Eagles)
Anthony Gelling 2018 (Wigan Warriors)
Karl Lawton 2019 (Gold Coast Titans)

Unknown for 2018

Matthew Sauni

Anybody who has any further info please advise, thanks.

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck re-signs with the club until the end of 2022

BREAKING NEWS ] Tuivasa-Sheck signed for four years

Captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has reinforced his commitment to the Vodafone Warriors by signing one of the longest deals in the club’s history, ensuring he’ll remain at Mount Smart Stadium until the end of the 2022 season.
Captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has reinforced his commitment to the Vodafone Warriors by signing one of the longest deals in the club’s history, ensuring he’ll remain at Mount Smart Stadium until the end of the 2022 season.

The four-year signing coup was announced by Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George at the club’s official season launch at SKYCITY tonight.

“As one of the game’s most exceptional athletes, Roger understandably attracted lots of interest, so we couldn’t be more delighted to have him onboard for another four years,” he said.

“Still only 24, he embodies all the qualities we want to see in our players.

“This is hugely significant for both Roger and the Vodafone Warriors, not only critical for our future but also for Roger in paving the way for him to truly establish himself as a leader for the club on and off the field. He’s the type of person we can build our club around.”

Tuivasa-Sheck is entering his third season since joining the Vodafone Warriors. His first campaign in 2016 was limited to seven appearances after a season-ending knee injury before he returned to feature in all but one game in 2017.

“I’m excited knowing my future will be with the Vodafone Warriors for another four years after this season,” said Tuivasa-Sheck.

“I’m also glad to be able to sort it out now before the season starts.

“We’ve had some challenging times but all of us are working really hard to turn things around this season and in the years ahead.

Wanting to be part of that was a huge factor in my decision - RTS

“Wanting to be part of that with everyone at the club was a huge factor in my decision to stay with the Vodafone Warriors.”

Tuivasa-Sheck was named the club’s 2017 Vodafone NRL Player of the Year and also the New Zealand Rugby League’s Player of the Year following the Rugby League World Cup.

“Roger’s a wonderful player and also a wonderful person,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“He sets an example in all he does as a player on the field and in all aspects of training as well as looking after himself off the field.

“He’s a tremendous asset for the Vodafone Warriors and has a huge appetite to improve each and every day.”

Tuivasa-Sheck warmed up for his seventh NRL campaign with a quality performance in the Vodafone Warriors’ 20-14 trial win over the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday.

With 11 tries and 30 appearances for the Vodafone Warriors, he has a career tally of 39 tries in 114 first-grade games.

ROGER TUIVASA-SHECK
Date of Birth: June 05, 1993

Birthplace: Apia, Samoa

Junior Club: Otahuhu Leopards (Auckland)

Position: Fullback

Height: 182cm

Weight: 93kg

Rep Honours: 16 Tests for Kiwis (2013-2017), World Cup (2013, 2017)

NRL Debut: Sydney Roosters v Gold Coast, Allianz Stadium, July 27, 2012 (Round 21)

NRL Career: 114 appearances, 2012-2017

NRL Points: 156 (39 tries)

Secondary School: Otahuhu College (Auckland)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/02/27/breaking-news--tuivasa-sheck-signed-for-four-years/

This is awesome news and the best possible start to the new season.

One Warrior

Bench
Karl Lawton signed until the end of 2019, Sam Cook & Hayze Perham contracts upgraded.

Titans utility signed and two players upgraded
Gold Coast utility Karl Lawton has today been signed by the Vodafone Warriors while hooker Sam Cook and highly-promising fullback Hayze Perham have had their contracts upgraded ahead of the 2018 NRL season starting next week.

Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith said Cook and Perham had been rewarded for their performances in the preseason and the club’s NRL trials while the 22-year-old Lawton has been secured on a two-year deal.

Capable of playing in the outside backs, hooker and loose forward, Lawton has made 12 NRL appearances since his debut against the Vodafone Warriors in 2016, an occasion which ended in disappointment when he broke his leg.

He recovered to turn out 11 times for the Titans last season when he alternated between starting at hooker and being on the interchange bench.

“We’re thrilled to be able to secure Karl so quickly following Ata Hingano’s departure,” said Smith.

“While Karl’s versatility is valuable, he'll give us experience and add to our depth.”

Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney welcomed Lawton’s arrival, the club’s 10th new signing for 2018 and the third to join the club from Gold Coast (alongside Lawton’s ex-Titans team-mates Agnatius Paasi and Leivaha Pulu).

“We really like what Karl has to offer and he’ll be a great addition to our squad,” he said.

“He lined up against us twice last season and we’ve also seen him in trials so we have a good understanding of his qualities.

“It’s also pleasing to see Sam and Hayze promoted. They’ve been wonderful during our preseason training programme and also impressed in both trials.”

As well as Cook and Perham, Smith noted other rookie talent featured in the club’s NRL system including Chanel Harris-Tavita, Joseph Vuna and Matiu Love-Henry.

“They’re all examples of the rewards available to young players rising through the ranks at the Vodafone Warriors,” he said.

Northcote junior Cook (24) made 10 NYC appearances for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in 2013 and has since gone on to play 37 times for the club’s Intrust Super Premiership side. The Westlake Boys’ High School product spent 2016 playing in Newcastle before coming back home last year. He played all but one of the team’s 25 games and was named the club’s 2017 Vodafone ISP Team Man of the Year.

Perham joined the club after an exceptional schoolboy career in both rugby league and rugby union, the latter in the Rotorua Boys’ High School First XV. He combined his rugby union commitments with rugby league, playing for the Pikiao Warriors, for his school at the New Zealand Secondary Schools Nationals and for the New Zealand 18s.

Standoff Harris-Tavita (18), the club’s 2017 Vodafone NYC Player of the Year, has rugby league pedigree on both sides of his family (his grandfather Ray Harris represented New Zealand Maori). A Pakuranga College, he played his junior rugby league for the Mount Wellington Warriors while he also had stints with the Richmond Rovers and Howick Hornets. Still eligible for the under-20s for another two years, he played for the Junior Kiwis last year (he has played 39 times for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in the last two years).

Vuna (19) also comes from a family with a strong rugby league heritage. A New Zealand Secondary Schools representative, the ex-Otahuhu College junior and Otahuhu Leopards junior has made 43 under-20 appearances for the Vodafone Junior Warriors over the last two seasons.

After 32 NYC appearances in 2014 and 2015, Love-Henry (22) moved to the Brisbane Broncos for the 2016 and 2017 seasons, where he played for Norths Devils in the Intrust Super Cup without breaking into the NRL. A Taupo Phoenix junior, he also turned out for the Point Chevalier Pirates in Auckland. Fluent in Te Reo, he was educated at Te Kura Kaupapa Maori o Whakarewa | Te Reo Ki Tuwharetoa in Taupo.

KARL LAWTON

Date of Birth: November 29, 1995

Birthplace: Murwillumbah, NSW

Junior Club: Burleigh Bears (Qld)

Position: Standoff

Height: 185cm

Weight: 93kg

Previous Clubs: Gold Coast Titans (2016-2017)

Rep Honours: Queensland under-20s (2015)

NRL Debut: Gold Coast v Vodafone Warriors, Mount Smart Stadium, July 2, 2016 (Round

17)

NRL Career: 12 appearances, 2016-2017

NRL Points: 8 (2 tries)

SAM COOK

Date of Birth: August 1, 1993

Birthplace: Auckland, NZ

Junior Club: Northcote Tigers

Position: Hooker

Height: 180cm

Weight: 92kg

Previous Clubs: South Newcastle

Rep Honours: NZ Maori Residents

NRL Debut: Yet to make NRL debut

HAYZE PERHAM

Date of birth: July 2, 1999

Birthplace: Taupo, NZ

Junior Club: Pikiao Warriors

Position: Fullback

Height: 184cm

Weight: 88kg

Rep Honours: New Zealand 18s (2017)

NRL Debut: Yet to make NRL debut

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/03/01/titans-utility-signed-and-two-players-upgraded/

Cold Roses

Juniors
Thought I'd repost this here, to complement the work One Warrior does in keeping the Squad list updated. (Thanks One Warrior as well, I cut and posted most of the names from your list)

The idea behind this is because I'm always interested to know each year who our First Grade Squad members are, largely because it gives an idea as to how many spots are left in the Squad, and therefore lets us now how much scope is left for promotion from the Reserves to First Grade later in the season.

The first group have played First Grade, so must be in the squad. The second group are very likely to play First Grade as well, and the last group are the players from where the remaining unknown spots are filled.

Definitely in the 30 Man NRL Squad

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2022
Tohu Harris 2021
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Blake Green 2020
Adam Blair 2020
Peta Hiku 2020
Sam Lisone 2020
Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papali'i 2019
Shaun Johnson 2019
James Gavet 2019
Ligi Sao 2019
Isaac Luke 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Sam Cook 2018
Agnatius Paasi 2019
Jazz Tevega 2018

Most likely in the NRL Squad
(e.g. Have already been named on extended bench but not played)

Simon Mannering 2018
Gerard Beale 2020
Blake Ayshford 2019
Anthony Gelling 2018
Mason Lino 2019
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2019
Chris Satae 2019
Albert Vete 2019

Possibilities for the NRL Squad

James Bell
Lewis Soosemea 2019
Joe Vuna 2019
Hayze Perham 2019
Matiu Love-Henry 2018
Junior Pauga 2018
Zac Santo 2018
Manaia Cherrington 2018
Patrick Sipley 2018
King Vuniyawa
Chanel Harris-Tavita

Unsure of Status

Karl Lawton 2019
Nathaniel Roache 2020

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
Thought I'd repost this here, to complement the work One Warrior does in keeping the Squad list updated. (Thanks One Warrior as well, I cut and posted most of the names from your list)

The idea behind this is because I'm always interested to know each year who our First Grade Squad members are, largely because it gives an idea as to how many spots are left in the Squad, and therefore lets us now how much scope is left for promotion from the Reserves to First Grade later in the season.

The first group have played First Grade, so must be in the squad. The second group are very likely to play First Grade as well, and the last group are the players from where the remaining unknown spots are filled.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2022
Tohu Harris 2021
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Blake Green 2020
Adam Blair 2020
Peta Hiku 2020
Sam Lisone 2020
Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papali'i 2019
Shaun Johnson 2019
James Gavet 2019
Ligi Sao 2019
Isaac Luke 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Sam Cook 2018

Simon Mannering 2018
Gerard Beale 2020
Blake Ayshford 2019
Albert Vete 2019
Agnatius Paasi 2019

Anthony Gelling 2018
Mason Lino 2019
Lewis Soosemea 2019
Joe Vuna 2019
Chris Satae 2019
Hayze Perham 2019
Matiu Love-Henry 2018
Jazz Tevega 2018
James Bell
Junior Pauga 2018
Zac Santo 2018
Manaia Cherrington 2018
Patrick Sipley 2018
King Vuniyawa
Chanel Harris-Tavita

Unsure of Status

Karl Lawton 2019
Nathaniel Roache 2020
Thanks Cold Roses, so you have 22 names who are definitely in the 30, I know Roache was in the 30, unsure if we have to carry him in the 30 because of his season ending injury, but pretty sure Lawton comes in for him. So that means either 23 or 24 names depending on whether we have to carry Roache in the 30. To this you can add Lino, Tevega and Gelling as they were in the extended squad in Perth, so that would be 26 or 27, add to this Nicol Klokstad, Perham was upgraded like Cook, so I believe he will be in the 30. At a guess I would say the last two spots would be filled by Satae and Love-Henry, that would be 30, with Roache dropping out because of his injury, I believe Perham replaced Hingano in the 30.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Thanks Cold Roses, so you have 22 names who are definitely in the 30, I know Roache was in the 30, unsure if we have to carry him in the 30 because of his season ending injury, but pretty sure Lawton comes in for him. So that means either 23 or 24 names depending on whether we have to carry Roache in the 30. To this you can add Lino, Tevega and Gelling as they were in the extended squad in Perth, so that would be 26 or 27, add to this Nicol Klokstad, Perham was upgraded like Cook, so I believe he will be in the 30. At a guess I would say the last two spots would be filled by Satae and Love-Henry, that would be 30, with Roache dropping out because of his injury, I believe Perham replaced Hingano in the 30.

Is Roache confirmed gone full season?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Why would Roache drop out because of injury? If he's one of the highest 30 paid players (which he is) then he's included in the top 30.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Why would Roache drop out because of injury? If he's one of the highest 30 paid players (which he is) then he's included in the top 30.

According to the NRL rules

"each club must select 29 players for their NRL squad by March 1 and 30 players by June 30, who are included in the $9.4 million salary cap."

So I guess, depending on when Roache was injured, it's possible that they had the chance to get Lawton as a replacement, and leave Roache out of the squad.

disclaimer - I have no idea if this is actually possible though, and how any dispensation would work.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Not sure about that wording. In previous years it was your top 25 highest paid players.

If selection was a criteria then any club could leave out any high priced player they didn't want at the club to open up cap space.

Not 100% on the new conditions this year.

Cold Roses

Juniors
I've added Satae and Nicoll-Klokstad to the 'most likely' list after they were named on the extended bench today. That brings the NRL squad up to 26. So basically apart from those that we know, we only have 4 more guys to elevate from ISP before the end of the year to cover for Injury and poor form.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Updated with players who have taken the field since Round 1

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2022
Tohu Harris 2021
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Blake Green 2020
Adam Blair 2020
Peta Hiku 2020
Sam Lisone 2020
Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papali'i 2019
Shaun Johnson 2019
James Gavet 2019
Ligi Sao 2019
Isaac Luke 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Sam Cook 2018
Agnatius Paasi 2019
Jazz Tevega 2018
Mason Lino 2019
Chris Satae 2019
Anthony Gelling 2018
Simon Mannering 2018
Albert Vete 2019
Joseph Vuna 2019

(e.g. Have already been named on extended bench but not played)

Gerard Beale 2020
Blake Ayshford 2019
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2019

James Bell
Lewis Soosemea 2019
Hayze Perham 2019
Matiu Love-Henry 2018
Junior Pauga 2018
Zac Santo 2018
Patrick Sipley 2018
King Vuniyawa
Chanel Harris-Tavita

Unsure of Status

Karl Lawton 2019
Nathaniel Roache 2020

Not in 30 Man Squad

Manaia Cherrington 2018
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12040110

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
    1. Current Squad/year contract expires

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2022
      Nathaniel Roache 2020
      Sam Lisone 2020
      Solomone Kata 2019
      Bunty Afoa 2019
      David Fusitua 2019
      Isaiah Papalii 2019
      Shaun Johnson 2019
      James Gavet 2019
      Ligi Sao 2019
      Blake Ayshford 2019
      Mason Lino 2019
      Lewis Soosemea 2019
      Joe Vuna 2019
      Chris Satae 2019
      Albert Vete 2019
      Hayze Perham 2019
      Isaac Luke 2018
      Simon Mannering 2018
      Ken Maumalo 2018
      Jazz Tevega 2018
      Junior Pauga 2018
      Manaia Cherrington 2018
      Patrick Sipley 2018
      Donovan Briggs 2018
      Sam Cook 2018?
      Tevin Arona 2018?

Losses

Ryan Hoffman (Melbourne Storm)
      Kieran Foran (Canterbury Bulldogs)
      Ben Matulino (West Tigers)
      Toafofoa Sipley (Manly Sea Eagles)
      Ofahiki Ogden (Canterbury Bulldogs)
      Manu Vatuvei (Salford Red Devils)
      Matt Allwood (Wyynum)
      Bureta Faraimo (Hull FC)
      Jacob Lillyman (Newcastle Knights)
      Bodene Thompson (Leigh Centurions)
      Etene Nanai (Waikato Chiefs)
      Jordan Pinnock (Redcliffe Dolphins ISC)
      Ata Hingano (Canberra Raiders)

Gains

Tohu Harris 2021 (Melbourne Storm)
      Leivaha Pulu 2020 (Gold Coast Titans)
      Gerard Beale 2020 (Cronulla Sharks)
      Adam Blair 2020 (Brisbane Broncos)
      Peta Hiku 2020 (Warrington Wolves)
      Matiu Love-Henry 2018 (Brisbane Broncos)
      Agnatius Paasi 2019 (Gold Coast Titans)
      Blake Green 2020 (Manly Sea Eagles)
      Anthony Gelling 2018 (Wigan Warriors)
      Karl Lawton 2019 (Gold Coast Titans)

Unknown for 2018

Matthew Sauni

Losses for 2019

Zac Santo (Townsville Blackhawks) - Effective immediately.

Anybody who has any further info please advise, thanks.

One Warrior

Bench
Roster updated to reflect Zac Santo has been released effective immediately to the Townsville Blackhawks and can somebody tell me why the hell Sam Lisone was re-signed to the end of 2020.

Juju

Juniors
Moley is saying Satae to the Storm for 3 years.

But of a bummer - we probably couldn't match their offer initially I'd imagine.

Latest posts