What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann Vs Aitken, who deserves the starting centre role?

Who deserves the starting centre role?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Life's Good

Coach
Not the favourite here on the Forum ATM - but he's rated elsewhere- and recently, as per the following link:

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/12/25/18-stars-of-2018--jai-field/

Jai has the Xfactor about him with long range tries & is probably one of the fastest guy in the NRL. Scored a try last week against the Mounties & defended well. The club classes him as a utility as he can play fullback, half & 5/8. Has bulked up and is 20yrs old.Kicks goals. The commentators can't wait for him to get the ball because of his electric speed. The kid's done nothing wrong & scored a brilliant long range try for NSW U20's Origin last year to win the game.
The bench seems to have a vacant No 17 FFS - unutilized anyway while Mary dithers.
Against tiring opponents he'd wreak havoc. Remember Auckland Nines?
Sorry I'm off thread in this response, but I do rate him and I confess I have a speed addiction!

I don’t think his talent/potential is in question & sure, he has plenty of speed. He needs to be delivering in ISP to get his chance and by all reports he’s not.
The other thing is that whilst we keep winning there won’t be seismic changes to the team.
I hope he gets a shot but it should be based on his form warranting selection.

possm

Coach
Yes we have had some early success in 2018; a similar situation as in 2016 and 2017. The only trouble is that it can all doesn't count for anything if we don't make the eight.

I'd like to see the following action being taken:
Lafai pulled aside and given a stern warning from the coaching staff. Forget the flick and improve the defensive reads or off to reserve grade.
Mann to right centre and Aitken to the bench as the utility. If there is an injury in the backline slot him at right centre and Mann to cover the injured player. If there is not an injury to a backline player, bring him on for a stint in the backrow wither on the right edge or at lock. If people thing this is too risky, then get him on the bench in reserve grade and test him in this role. I have a feeling he will do very well as a bench forward/utility player.

Crush

Coach
Yes we have had some early success in 2018; a similar situation as in 2016 and 2017. The only trouble is that it can all doesn't count for anything if we don't make the eight.

I'd like to see the following action being taken:
Lafai pulled aside and given a stern warning from the coaching staff. Forget the flick and improve the defensive reads or off to reserve grade.
Mann to right centre and Aitken to the bench as the utility. If there is an injury in the backline slot him at right centre and Mann to cover the injured player. If there is not an injury to a backline player, bring him on for a stint in the backrow wither on the right edge or at lock. If people thing this is too risky, then get him on the bench in reserve grade and test him in this role. I have a feeling he will do very well as a bench forward/utility player.
So after 2 good games as a starting centre you want to drop him either to the bench or to reserve grade?
Thats ridiculous mate. We have won 2 games from 2 and Euan has been instrumental in those wins and we drop him?

possm

Coach
So after 2 good games as a starting centre you want to drop him either to the bench or to reserve grade?
Thats ridiculous mate. We have won 2 games from 2 and Euan has been instrumental in those wins and we drop him?
Mann is a better player and is wasted on the bench. I would rather refine the team while we are winning than lose a game and two competition points when sticking our head in the sand. Nightingale also needs to go and be replaced by a young gun. First grade or reserve grade he will still get paid.

Crush

Coach
Mann is a better player and is wasted on the bench. I would rather refine the team while we are winning than lose a game and two competition points when sticking our head in the sand. Nightingale also needs to go and be replaced by a young gun. First grade or reserve grade he will still get paid.
I'd be happy for Mann to replace Nightingale at this stage but not Aitken. We have been waiting to see some good form from him and to replace him now when he is full of confidence and playing well would be stupid move.

possm

Coach
I'd be happy for Mann to replace Nightingale at this stage but not Aitken. We have been waiting to see some good form from him and to replace him now when he is full of confidence and playing well would be stupid move.

Yes but in the two games we have seen this year, Aitken has had problems gathering a kick and rarely passes the ball inside or outside. He and Nightingale were also caught out in defence a couple of times in the same way as that of 2017.

Yes Aitken seems to be over his injury and yes he is playing much better this year however, he still shows the same skill problems he did in 2017.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Absolutely correct , aitken is a gun centre powerful and his game is on the up , Mann should be replacing either tim lafai or Jason nightingale who are both extremely slow and liabilities in defence

TomRedVRiver

Bench
If Lomax fires in NSW Cup this season, then finally our backline is looking good... Pending selection.

1. Dufty
2. Mann
3. Aitken
4. Lomax
5. Macdonald

If all of those lads are in form, i'd take that backline in a heartbeat.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If Lomax fires in NSW Cup this season, then finally our backline is looking good... Pending selection.

1. Dufty
2. Mann
3. Aitken
4. Lomax
5. Macdonald

If all of those lads are in form, i'd take that backline in a heartbeat.

Agree tom.
But lomax is being heavily maked.
He need to improve.
He wasn't dominant in the Jersey flegg yesterday.
So a while of yet

Como Connection

First Grade
Mann prefers to play on the left side of the field, is very good defensively, elusive in attack and has a good passing game. I'd like to see him run more direct and then setup his winger.
Hey Possm
How do you know Mann prefers the left side?
I have never seen that quoted or reported.
I have read that he would like to be given a chance to play in a set position in the run on side.
Cannot believe he stayed for two more years under this coach.
CC

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Hey Possm
How do you know Mann prefers the left side?
I have never seen that quoted or reported.
I have read that he would like to be given a chance to play in a set position in the run on side.
Cannot believe he stayed for two more years under this coach.
CC

Cc
For what it worth from watching them train and so on . I would say either side.
Mann seam to be very happy here, but for how much longer.
Who now's.
Unfortunately Mary see him as a utility and is very set in his ways and unlikely to change.
We can only hope

hazzbeen

Bench
Cc
For what it worth from watching them train and so on . I would say either side.
Mann seam to be very happy here, but for how much longer.
Who now's.
Unfortunately Mary see him as a utility and is very set in his ways and unlikely to change.
We can only hope
Samy what a waste of a player , just can't see why Mary won't start him or give him longer game time . Dufty is doing good at fullback but I would love to see Mann given a go there from time to time .

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Samy what a waste of a player , just can't see why Mary won't start him or give him longer game time . Dufty is doing good at fullback but I would love to see Mann given a go there from time to time .

Agree.
Mate.
If I was him I would be pissed by now.
I like to see him a nighty switch.
Nighty on the bench may work.
Nighty can cover the back line and even hooker for 10 or 15 mins.
That when McInnis could get a rest.
Also if you have mann on the field .
You could have him a dufty switch occasionally.

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
I’m going to thru one from left field . To give McInnes a rest coming up to half time when the big forwards are tiring why not give Dufty a few runs from dummy half when we are attacking and have a bit of space. I reckon with his pace he would make some great meters.

hazzbeen

Bench
I’m going to thru one from left field . To give McInnes a rest coming up to half time when the big forwards are tiring why not give Dufty a few runs from dummy half when we are attacking and have a bit of space. I reckon with his pace he would make some great meters.
Said before even Mann would do the job , tiring forwards Mann has pace and can set up play ..... But Mary has no vision ....

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Unfortunately mary is not the coach to tap nighty on the shoulder ,Mann should be on the park that way 4 Forwards on the bench .then Mary use all the bench to give your big boys a rest ,less chance of a forward seizure half way through the season ........ if you have a back go down frizzell or Sims or Host or Sele can cover in the centres sorry boys DREAMING .......

giboz71

First Grade
Aitken wont get dropped any time soon and nor should he.

He’s had 2 good games and hasn’t had any defensive lapses and has been a terror in attack.

I’ve been calling on him to get dropped like most on here but he’s responded so deserves his place for the time being.

Drag Queen

Bench

He’s had 2 good games and hasn’t had any defensive lapses and has been a terror in attack.

I’ve been calling on him to get dropped like most on here but he’s responded so deserves his place for the time being.

He hasn't missed a beat giboz. I can't mention which position Mann should be playing for fear of being slaughtered. Isn't Aiken though.