What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is it too hot to play?

In extreme heat, should games be delayed until after sunset?

• Yes

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters

Prometheus

Juniors
It was 38°C when the Eels v Manly match begun today. By half-time it had reached 40°C. Should the game have gone ahead or should it have been delayed until after sunset? When does player safety become more important than the NRL's love of money?

Rabbit toes

First Grade
It was 38°C when the Eels v Manly match begun today. By half-time it had reached 40°C. Should the game have gone ahead or should it have been delayed until after sunset? When does player safety become more important than the NRL's love of money?
I agree. Especially after Kato Ottio you would think there would be a lot of emphasis on heat stroke or related symptoms and player welfare would be top priority.

Timbo

Staff member
Manly didnt seem to mind on the scoreboard, but you can get heat stroke when you're on the winning side of a hiding too.

It was stupid and reckless in regards to player welfare. If they weren't willing to postpone it, then there should have been breaks at the 20 and 60 for water and five minutes added on to halftime.

It's not hard to workout why they didn't though - Nine don't want to push the news, and you then risk the kickoff overlapping the Raiders/Knights game and the NRL are hellbent on every game having a standalone timeslot.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Pretty crazy that players have to play in it when plenty of workers on outdoor sites get to knock off when the temperature cracks 38. I’ve been sitting in the smoko room watching the footy for pretty much our entire shoft. Doubt we’ll be out til after 7.

simmo05

Bench
Pretty crazy that players have to play in it when plenty of workers on outdoor sites get to knock off when the temperature cracks 38. I’ve been sitting in the smoko room watching the footy for pretty much our entire shoft. Doubt we’ll be out til after 7.
I work on outdoor sites in northern aus and have never knocked off for heat. Seen plenty go down though. Karratha was the worst

Grapple

Bench
I thought the refs did a good job of managing it today. A penalty every few minutes worked well. Then you've got the bunker involved every now and then, an extra minute or two there... I usually give the Refs grief, but today they handled the heat situation nicely.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
No where near as bad as the insufferable humidity here in Brisbane or in Townsville.

For example it is currently 36 in Sydney, but with 17% humidity, it feels more like 33. Dew point is 7c, which is quite pleasant.

I remember for some Broncos home games in March the feels like temp has been 38-42, with dew points of 24-26.

Read about dew point here:
http://media.bom.gov.au/social/blog...hered-its-not-the-humidity-its-the-dew-point/

Latest posts