What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale one season too many ?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Never write off a champion. If he is still stinking it up like he did against the Sharks after 6-8 weeks then drop him.
I'm still calling he wins the Clive Churchil this year!

Did Nightingale really "stink" against Cronulla? After watching a replay yesterday, I noted the following:

1. Seventh minute - Nightingale drops the ball (fair call).

2. Twenty third minute - again, it appears he's committed another handling error.

Or, did he?

On closer scrutiny, it's obvious Cronulla's Matt Prior surreptitiously knocks the ball out with his left hand. No penalty required as it was a one-on-one tackle, however it was a definite knock on that should've resulted in a Dragons' scrum feed.

3. being caught in-goal (by Dugan) came as a result of Dufty failing to catch a kick.

4. the try which came down Nightingale's wing came from a quick tap and a four-on-three overlap (following a penalty). A lot has been said about Nigtingale's diminishing speed, but even Usian Bolt wouldn't have stopped Cronulla from scoring (Sidenote: the penultimate pass was noticeably forward, so the play should've been stopped).

5. the 'professional foul' was unfortunate as Nightingale got caught by Dugan rising to his feet quickly - things were exacerbated by the Sharks player falling down in comical, A-League style.

So, I believe your assertion is a bit harsh.

Crush

Coach
Did Nightingale really "stink" against Cronulla? After watching a replay yesterday, I noted the following:

1. Seventh minute - Nightingale drops the ball (fair call).

2. Twenty third minute - again, it appears he's committed another handling error.

Or, did he?

On closer scrutiny, it's obvious Cronulla's Matt Prior surreptitiously knocks the ball out with his left hand. No penalty required as it was a one-on-one tackle, however it was a definite knock on that should've resulted in a Dragons' scrum feed.

3. being caught in-goal (by Dugan) came as a result of Dufty failing to catch a kick.

4. the try which came down Nightingale's wing came from a quick tap and a four-on-three overlap (following a penalty). A lot has been said about Nigtingale's diminishing speed, but even Usian Bolt wouldn't have stopped Cronulla from scoring (Sidenote: the penultimate pass was noticeably forward, so the play should've been stopped).

5. the 'professional foul' was unfortunate as Nightingale got caught by Dugan rising to his feet quickly - things were exacerbated by the Sharks player falling down in comical, A-League style.

So, I believe your assertion is a bit harsh.
Jimmy, he had a poor game. He'll bounce back because he is a great player but on Thursday he stank the place up. The stench was wafting across the shire. It was putrid.

possm

Coach
It's one thing to show appreciation, be loyal and support Nightingale by extending his contract another year however, it is another thing to select him in first grade each week to the detriment of the team and the limitation of opportunity of those young wingers coming through. For first grade selection, form should be the key criteria. A player like Lomax who has speed, good defensive skills and the ability to take a high ball should be given the chance to gain first grade experience and improve the performance of the team. Like with Garrik, if Lomax proves to be not up to the task, drop him back and bring another young gun forward. It is very clear to me that Nightingale is no longer up to the task and Mann is out of favour for whatever reason with this head coach.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
This issue is not about Nightingale and playing one season too many.
It is about the coach and being decisive.
If Nightingale is selected he will play on. He is a professional footballer for Pete's sake.
If he is not selected this thread doesn't appear.
We have a ready made replacement in Mann.
He was superb when he played wing in 2016 bagging 10 tries in no time at all.
Why doesn't McGregor bite the bullet and make the change???
Why didn't he persevere with Mann on the wing in 2017???
Right now, McGregor has yet another opportunity to make a genuine coach's decision and make the swap.
I'm sure Mann would rather play 80 minutes on the wing than sit on the bench twiddling his thumbs.
Bagging Nightingale is just a total anathema to me. He doesn't deserve it.
It has very little to do with him actually.
Maybe Mann to start and Nightingale to come off the bench would be a great compromise because Nightingale may be very useful when the big men start to tire.

Dennis.
Like the idea
I'm not going to knock nighty.
But of the bench great idea.
He can play anywhere in rhe back line if needed. I would say even 10 or 15 min at hooker.
As you have said put mann in.
Unfortunately mary see him as a 17 only.
I do agree its not nighty fault that he gets picked.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Noticed that Saint_JimmyG. Happened to Gareth also.

We did it also. Don't mind it though, keep the ball.

I'd keep Nighty, makes heaps of metres from dummy half, poor bugger.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Look at the backline in our ISP team .. It is crying out for some experience and leadership.

We are not going to develop backline players into 1st graders if there is no-one down there with NRL experience to help them/guide them.

Mann to Wing now and Nightingale to be the mentor in the reggies .. They need him there. If we get an injury then Nighty can come back however the club would be best served with him helping a backline of Field/Lomax/Garrick/Johns/Tohi/Herbert/Clune/Nicholls ... Otherwise we are going to widen the gap between 1st grade and reserves.

As for DH ... 3 runs for 22 metres against the sharks and 1 run for 8 metres against the broncos is hardly "heaps" ...

Sele to the bench (he can play the 10 minutes of lock that Mann has been playing this season) with Mann to the Wing. A backline injury would have to be covered with someone like Sele or Tariq even to centre like Thommo used to play. They are obviously not full time centres but we are only after a warm body to finish a game out.

merahputih

Juniors
Look at the backline in our ISP team .. It is crying out for some experience and leadership.

We are not going to develop backline players into 1st graders if there is no-one down there with NRL experience to help them/guide them.

Mann to Wing now and Nightingale to be the mentor in the reggies .. They need him there. If we get an injury then Nighty can come back however the club would be best served with him helping a backline of Field/Lomax/Garrick/Johns/Tohi/Herbert/Clune/Nicholls ... Otherwise we are going to widen the gap between 1st grade and reserves.

As for DH ... 3 runs for 22 metres against the sharks and 1 run for 8 metres against the broncos is hardly "heaps" ...

Sele to the bench (he can play the 10 minutes of lock that Mann has been playing this season) with Mann to the Wing. A backline injury would have to be covered with someone like Sele or Tariq even to centre like Thommo used to play. They are obviously not full time centres but we are only after a warm body to finish a game out.
Well said. The old Reserve Grade was changed years ago to become the NYC,etc to overcome a supposed problem that it was harboring old 1st graders who were over the hill and impeding the development of fresh talent. That may have been partially true but it also gave emerging youngsters a chance to play with and against men and transition more readily to the top grade. The gap between what now passes for "reserve grade"and 1st grade is much wider.

Old Timer

Coach

If Nighty and Latimore were playing reggies I am sure the kids would learn a lot and would benefit greatly from senior leadership.
People keep decrying the young ones as not being ready for NRL due to indifferent form in reggies but they are playing that grade with no senior players providing guidance and a somewhat suspect coach so what do we think the outcome for them will be?
Nighty and Latimosre to reggies Mann into the run on side and Sele and Host in to 1st would be a much better fit.
The reggies team get the benefit of experienced players and the ones elevated to 1sts get the bonus of learning from Graham.
Win Win situation for both teams.

RED73V

Juniors
I personally think Nightingale would be better suited as our utility on the bench for 2 reasons. 1. Mann is clearly faster & a better finisher given his short stint in 2016 when he was our leading try scorer & he balances the team properly.
2. Nightingale could come on in busy short spurts & still keep his reputation intact by not being remembered for going a year to long. The only problem with the second point is McGregor won’t sell it that way or make any decisive changes. McGregor’s a jellyfish he has no backbone

O'Sullivan

Juniors
He should have retired last year. I never thought I would say that I have my heart in my mouth when a kick is directed at him or when attack goes down his side. He is not fully responsible for all defensive errors down his wing but he is at best an average winger now when we take away the sentiment. Pains me to say that but alas true.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Nighty is done.

I'm sick of this argument saying he's "safe as houses" and "mr reliable".
Modern wingers are not simply "reliable". If you're serious about winning premierships you NEED X factor and speed out wide. Mann or Lomax are the obvious choices for replacements, both of which provide exactly that.

Okay lets get things in
perspective. He coughed up a couple of balls, yes he had a bad knight at the office. BUT when he got sin binned he saved a certain try and got us home. Would his replacement, whoever it may have done the same thing or was it his experience that got us over the line. Open to discussion????
Bad knight? Shaun Kenny-dowell?

Nighty is done.

I'm sick of this argument saying he's "safe as houses" and "mr reliable".
Modern wingers are not simply "reliable". If you're serious about winning premierships you NEED X factor and speed out wide. Mann or Lomax are the obvious choices for replacements, both of which provide exactly that.
Mann to centre Lomax to wing plenty of X FACTOR right there!