What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who deserves to be added to the Rugby League Hall of Fame in 2018?

The NRL picked 100 players for the Hall of Fame in 2008. They have announced today that they will add six more this year.

Who deserves to be added?

The one name that is crying out for recognition is Ricky Stuart. He was an equally talented rival and competitor of existing Hall of Fame member Alan Langer. Stuart lacked the speed off the mark and the wiliness of "Alfie" Langer, but he had the best passing game I have ever seen and possessed one of the best field kicking talents I have ever seen -- better than Langer's and was probably equal to the passing game and almost equal to the kicking game of Andrew Johns (Johns was superior to Stuart in kicking because of his innovation of the so-called "banana kick."). But Stuart could land a field kick on a dollar coin 40 metres up field.

Ricky Stuart was a decent defender, much better than Darren Lockyer, but not as strong a defender as Andrew Johns. Unlike Johns, Stuart was not a first string goal kicker. Therefore he does not deserve to added to the list of Immortals. But Stuart certainly must be the first player added to the Hall of Fame.

Despite his defection to rugby union Sonny Bill Williams has played enough rugby league, and played well enough, to be added to the Hall of Fame. If he does not return to rugby league this year he could be considered as retired from the game and therefore be eligible. He was a great tackle buster and off loader of the ball. Because of those skills, and his highly professional attitude to training, which inspired his fellow team members, SBW was a significant factor in the Sydney Roosters winning the 2013 Grand Final. Unlike Sam Burgess, SBW was able to adjust back to rugby league from rugby union without any discernible loss of form. But because the decision on the next six Hall of Fame members will be made in July 2018, perhaps SBW should wait until the next round of appointments in 2022.

I would also nominate winger Bill Mullins (Eastern Suburbs) and his full back-winger son Brett Mullins (Canberra Raiders and Sydney Roosters), the "raging bull" second rower Gordon Tallis (Brisbane Broncos), the centre nicknamed "The Pearl" Steve Renouf (Brisbane Broncos and Wigan Warriors), full back and five eighth Darren Lockyer (Brisbane Broncos), and the Kiwi maestro half back Stacey Jones.(New Zealand Warriors and Catalans Dragons).

There is no reason why New Zealanders should be excluded from the Hall of Fame since they have played in the NRL for either the Warriors or other Australian teams. Other Kiwis including SBW should be considered for the Hall of Fame in 2022.

So in summary, my six nominations for Hall of Fame in 2018 are:

Ricky Stuart
Bill Mullins
Brett Mullins
Gordon Tallis
Darren Lockyer
Stacey Jones

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Me:
72 games for Wynnum-Manly Juniors and 23 games for Cannon Hill Juniors for 1 premiership.Surely that is hard to deny.

King hit

Coach
Would be great if Stuart gets recognition. He should've been in the top 100 players. His kicking and passing game was one of the best of all time. Beat Langer in 8 of his 14 origin encounters and forced him out of Kangaroo teams.