What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9th Immortal

Thurston has not yet retired and so is ineligible in 2018.

Lockyer was a weak defender and thus should never be picked..

It should be between Dally Messenger, Dave Brown, Brian Bevan, Mal Meninga and Eric Grothe.

At a minimum Brian Bevan must be picked. His recognition is long overdue.

Springs09

Juniors
There's no way Dally Messenger does not get in then

For anything before the 80s it's pretty much Messenger v Churchill as to who was the best player ever.

There should be no way Lockyer gets in over Brown, Burge or Provan.

I think having the possibility of 2 inducted every 4 years lessens the concept a bit.

Alfred DeBois

Juniors
I think they should take care of the past and sort it all before modern day choices. Whether it be Provan or Messanger or someone else. let Lockyer and Meninga wait.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
People say Lockyer was a crap defender, I disagree, not outstanding, but not Moses shyte either.

Some front rowers were faster than Johns.

King hit

Coach
He did come up with some good one on one tackles at fullback but I thought Lockyer was useless defending in the front line. Remember how Tonie Carrol, Brad Thorn etc used to cover for him and do all of his tackling for him.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not sure DeVere was no pussy.

Johns never would have made that tackle but.

Johns was a great player, but slow as a slug, played hooker too Kimmorley being half.

Some blokes forget facts.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
He did come up with some good one on one tackles at fullback but I thought Lockyer was useless defending in the front line. Remember how Tonie Carrol, Brad Thorn etc used to cover for him and do all of his tackling for him.
Yeah I do, imagine protecting your half.....

So he can be backing up for an try, with pace, unlike Johns.

I hate you all make point Johns weakness.

mozza91

Coach
Not sure DeVere was no pussy.

Johns never would have made that tackle but.

Johns was a great player, but slow as a slug, played hooker too Kimmorley being half.

Some blokes forget facts.
Johns was actually pretty quick over 20 or 30 metres.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Lockyer was not, he ran in tries, like Johns never did.

Paul Gallen was once the fastest over 20 at Cronulla.

Facts are not your friend.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
No. But I do remember the still used tactic of having a strong defender assist a half who has big guys running at him all game to tire them out and make them less effective in attack.

King hit

Coach
The following is also from the NRL's website -

Lots of players from the pre-WW2 era who deserve consideration. I'd be shocked if Dally Messenger does not get in at some stage considering his importance to the founding of the code in Australia.

I sometimes have to giggle a bit at this Messenger thing. To have ever remember Messenger playing you would have to be 120+ years old :D.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Again, simple facts, Messenger left Union, so blokes got paid.

So if they got injuries could feed their kids.

What makes me laugh is super league haters, they would hated Dally.

What is even better is Union fools, who now get paid.

Facts..

Dally knew blokes should get paid, Union and super league haters, hate this fact.

Souths being the ultimate hypocrites, sold out to a kiwi.

Facts people...

Perth Tiger

Bench
Yeah well that might have been at the incpetion, but as it is now owned by the code itself, how can you say "sorry, pre World War 2, your contribution did nothing so we won't recognise you? That is daft.

For example, Dave Browns's record of 38 tries in a season and 45 points scored in 1 game still stand. You want to say those kinds of feats don't deserve to at least be considered?

Also for those not surte who is currently in the Hall of Fame, haave a look here - https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/19/the-nrl-hall-of-fame-100-players/

Gee look at the photo for number 27 George Treweek. Must of been a giant on the field.

King hit

Coach
They chose Raper and Gasiner.

Provan was like Gallen (probably better), a rock, but never brilliant. Never a match winner. Needed for the brilliant play of Gasiner etc.

Not a patch on Beetson either.

They handed out CCM’s from 1954-1985 and Provan was given 3. He was also captain in a good share of those premierships so he had a big role in them.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Typical of the shyte NRL website.

Steve Rogers played for Cronulla in an Australian Jersey.

Wally Lewis played for Valleys in an Australian Jersey.

Wayne Peace played for Balmain in an Australian Jersey.

Brett Kenny played for Parramatta in an Australian Jersey.

Gene Miles played for Wynnum-Manly in a QLD Jersey.

Alan Langer played for Ipswich holding the Winfield Cup with Tina Turner...

Many errors, Steve Walters, Brad Clyde, Brad Fittler, my favourite Lazarus V Wests (actually Penrith)....the list is long.

Who proof reads this stuff, I Bleed Maroon?

Last edited:

Latest posts