What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale one season too many ?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Let's do a quick comparison between the two:

Speed: Mann, easily.
Strength: Mann, not by much. Nighty is deceptively strong, but i've seen Mann cut opposition players in half before.
Defence: Mann, with a tackling efficiency of 91.6%. Nighty has a tackling efficiency of 88.4%. Not to mention centre is a harder position to defend from and Mann's numbers are still better.
Finishing ability: Mann showed last year he is a quality finisher. Nighty has made a couple of mistakes finishing this year.
High ball: Probably Nighty, but Mann is a fullback and is still safe under the high ball, it's not like you'd be sacrificing anything there.

It's an easy selection choice, surely. It's time to drop the sentimentality with Nighty and pick the best team available.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Strength: Mann, not by much. Nighty is deceptively strong, but i've seen Mann cut opposition players in half before.
Defence: Mann, with a tackling efficiency of 91.6%. Nighty has a tackling efficiency of 88.4%. Not to mention centre is a harder position to defend from and Mann's numbers are still better.
Finishing ability: Mann showed last year he is a quality finisher. Nighty has made a couple of mistakes finishing this year.
High ball: Probably Nighty, but Mann is a fullback and is still safe under the high ball, it's not like you'd be sacrificing anything there.

It's an easy selection choice, surely. It's time to drop the sentimentality with Nighty and pick the best team available.

The biggest thing holding mann back is mary.
Mary thinks he is a utility and not a winger.
He is very stuck in his ways

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Can you do the same comparison between MacDonald and Nightingale?

While Mann certainly belongs in the top 13 - never mind the bench - he shouldn't be included at "Gypsy's" expense.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Can you do the same comparison between MacDonald and Nightingale?

While Mann certainly belongs in the top 13 - never mind the bench - he shouldn't be included at "Gypsy's" expense.

Okay.

Speed: MacDonald by a mile.
Strength: MacDonald, easily.
Defence: Nighty has got him here, Nene with a tackling efficiency of 71%
Finishing Ability: I think Nene proved on Thursday night he's he best finisher at the club.
High ball: probably Nighty, in defence. However in attack, Nene is far more efficient.

Nene has this one on one contest covered. Besides, Nighty is on the outer and Nene is proving he's clearly on the up. Would you sack the player who is starting to realise his potential?

slippery5

Juniors
Poor Flo could possibly be the slowest winger since Daryl Halligan & Luke Covell. Their saving grace was they were both very good goal kickers which kept them in the team.
Flo is all heart and bleeds for the Dragons, but 2018 needs to be the finish as an NRL winger.
Can't think of his name but his nick name was Chook, goal kicking winger went on to play for Parra.

slippery5

Juniors
slippery5 - the players name was Ian ' chook ' Heron . A great player for the Dragons , scored his fair share of tries but as you said also a goal kicker , not too bad either from memory .
Thanks that's him, however, I thought he was a 1st grade impostor. Sorry Chook !!!!!!!!!!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Okay.

Finishing Ability: I think Nene proved on Thursday night he's he best finisher at the club.
High ball: probably Nighty, in defence. However in attack, Nene is far more efficient.

Nene has this one on one contest covered. Besides, Nighty is on the outer and Nene is proving he's clearly on the up. Would you sack the player who is starting to realise his potential?

It'll probably come as no surprise, but I disagree with you on some points:

Speed: MacDonald has Nightingale covered, however he's still not all that quick himself.

Strength: again it's MacDonald but not by a huge margin.

Defence: no contest, Nightingale leaves NM miles behind. The latter is simply atrocious.

Finishing ability: I'd vote for Nightingale by a fair distance here.

I don't think you (or anyone else) can favour MacDonald on the basis of one try from last Thursday. Personally, I haven't forgotten - nor forgiven - him completely butchering a straight forward opportunity that occurred against the Panthers in Penrith last season.

It's fair to say that MacDonald makes his the most simple tries look much harder than what they should be.

To answer your question, yes, I would bypass MacDonald in favour of Mann. He constantly frustrates the bejesus out of me with his 'look like Tarzan, play like Jane' persona, and I don't believe his overall performances merit much adulation on the strength of a single game.

Old Timer

Coach
Okay.

Not sure how the conclusion is Nene is on the up and realising his potential (Mc Fookknuckle talk and to be treated with care).
He scored a very good and athletic try but after all it is only 1 try and he had a real go in running the ball properly against the Sharks but that is 1 game.
People talking him up on the basis of 1 game is far too premature so get back to us when he has put 6 in succession.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Not sure how the conclusion is Nene is on the up and realising his potential (Mc Fookknuckle talk and to be treated with care).
He scored a very good and athletic try but after all it is only 1 try and he had a real go in running the ball properly against the Sharks but that is 1 game.
People talking him up on the basis of 1 game is far too premature so get back to us when he has put 6 in succession.

I'd like to see a consistent SEASON first before bringing out the Moet.

Let's not forget that SGI is MacDonald's third club, too. This isn't a fantastic record for a young player.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would like to see McDonald given a run at centre. I think that is his natural position. I think Mc Donald and Lomax could be our best centre pairing, but we probably won't get to see McDonald given a run at centre to prove me right or wrong.

nontime111

Juniors
I cant go past Aitken as our best centre now hes only going to get better, his go forward and total mungrel attitude buries Nenes, I think Lomax would also be better than Nene also I like the Nene at centre Idea specially after the world cup but I think hes 3rd best centre here, above Lafia though, Manns more a winger to me and should be there instead of Flo