What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 Saturday 24th March @ ANZ Stadium v Manly Sea Eagles

Rabbits20

Immortal
Your father has been around for a good while & is
a good thinking man!
He also says Gagai has been too quiet and AJ can't tackle!

He thinks we will be 0-3.

He thinks Seibs is out his depth......

Imo Manly have far better options than us at 1 and 7 too plus Lane and Tanginoa have been killing it off the bench. That's where they'll probably get us play with offloads too!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Farah is our most experienced general at present----nobody in our team has his ability in this regard!
Douehii has great ability but he is on his L-plates!

Cook & Walker;well they just play pretty much off the cuff!!

I would predict we'll lose our next games without AR as we'll be virtually rudderless!

Farah to half!

I actually agree with the premise of what you’re trying to say. We need a halfback that takes control of the team and leads the boys around the park. Cook and Cody are individually brilliant players but don’t have that game management ability of a Smith or a Morgan.

I’ve read though that Doueihi does have excellent game management ability and he was outstanding at it, in the juniors. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt though in the first couple of games as he’s just finding his feet.

If Cody is allowed to run the ball and support play like he does best and Doueihi can control the team and get his hands on the ball more then I think we’re a real chance of taking down Manly. The parra vs manly game was really just a snowball effect more than a reflection of Manly’s dominance as a team. Once you rack up a huge tackle count like Parra did in the heat, you’re not going to recover.

doyen

Bench
I actually agree with the premise of what you’re trying to say. We need a halfback that takes control of the team and leads the boys around the park. Cook and Cody are individually brilliant players but don’t have that game management ability of a Smith or a Morgan.

I’ve read though that Doueihi does have excellent game management ability and he was outstanding at it, in the juniors. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt though in the first couple of games as he’s just finding his feet.

If Cody is allowed to run the ball and support play like he does best and Doueihi can control the team and get his hands on the ball more then I think we’re a real chance of taking down Manly. The parra vs manly game was really just a snowball effect more than a reflection of Manly’s dominance as a team. Once you rack up a huge tackle count like Parra did in the heat, you’re not going to recover.

Douehii needs to be somewhere in the 17--maybe on the bench at this early stage of his career----or centre,he played quite well there in the WC.
He could be crucified in the halves with too much expectancy too soon.
Farah knows him well as they played together for Lebanon where Farah played H/B!
DCE is a smart operator & will be hard to contain-----Farah,we know,is also an experienced controller & a strong defender too!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Douehii needs to be somewhere in the 17--maybe on the bench at this early stage of his career----or centre,he played quite well there in the WC.
He could be crucified in the halves with too much expectancy too soon.
Farah knows him well as they played together for Lebanon where Farah played H/B!
DCE is a smart operator & will be hard to contain-----Farah,we know,is also an experienced controller & a strong defender too!

I know where you’re coming from. I guess the argument turns into whether we focus on grooming our long term solution or using a short term fix to try and make the 8 this year? Personally I’m all for long term as I don’t think we’ll be premiership contenders until probably 2020 and if we’re lucky 2019.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I know where you’re coming from. I guess the argument turns into whether we focus on grooming our long term solution or using a short term fix to try and make the 8 this year? Personally I’m all for long term as I don’t think we’ll be premiership contenders until probably 2020 and if we’re lucky 2019.
Sorry but I don't think we will be premiership contenders under Seibs.

We are gonna have to be more successful in the player market too!

Travitoh

First Grade

100% agree

Sorry but I don't think we will be premiership contenders under Seibs.

We are gonna have to be more successful in the player market too!

I understand what you're saying but give him a proper crack at the player market first before you write him off.
After all, Kennar, Tatola and Nicholls are his signings and they're all going alright in first grade so as it stands i would suggest he's doing alright in recruitment.

callmack1

Staff member
My line up for Round 3

1. Johnston
2. Kennar
3. Gagai
4. Inglis (C)
5. Jennings
6. Walker
7. Doueihi
8. T.Burgess
9. Cook
10. S.Burgess
11. Sutton
12. Crichton
13. Murray

14. Turner
15. Tatola
16. Nicholls
17. G. Burgess

So pretty much the sam as last week but now that Fui is injured, I want Turner there.

As I've said, I don't want Gus starting but we can't throw Turner staright into the starting line up after injury, he should come of the bench for a few games and then look to start him around Round 5.

doyen

Bench

It would obviously be a short-term fix with Farah at 1/2[unless he kills it ie.]!!

I'm a bit concerned about Douehii's long-term future if he fails to handle the pressure.
He's a future star by the looks of things but as a 19 yr old he may have to be eased into things at this point!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
It would obviously be a short-term fix with Farah at 1/2[unless he kills it ie.]!!

I'm a bit concerned about Douehii's long-term future if he fails to handle the pressure.
He's a future star by the looks of things but as a 19 yr old he may have to be eased into things at this point!

I think there’s always that risk but then I think you have to look at some of the benefits they could reap from debuting so young. Ashley Taylor, Kalyn Ponga, Brodie Croft were all debuted quite young and are going to be established first graders for years to come. Blood them early and get them used to first grade so that when Reyno does come back, Doueihi will know exactly what he has to work on for next time. We’ve seen a fair bit of success in the NRL using this method.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
100% agree

I understand what you're saying but give him a proper crack at the player market first before you write him off.
After all, Kennar, Tatola and Nicholls are his signings and they're all going alright in first grade so as it stands i would suggest he's doing alright in recruitment.

Kennar and Tatola wow. They’ve exceeded my expectation in first grade. I think it was you that also outlined in the round 2 game thread how fantastic Tatola’s attitude was as well. In my opinion our prop rotation looks fantastic. It’s funny though because now our second row rotation looks a lot weaker where as last year it was vice versa.

Rabbits20

Immortal
My line up for Round 3

1. Johnston
2. Kennar
3. Gagai
4. Inglis (C)
5. Jennings
6. Walker
7. Doueihi
8. T.Burgess
9. Cook
10. S.Burgess
11. Sutton
12. Crichton
13. Murray

14. Turner
15. Tatola
16. Nicholls
17. G. Burgess

So pretty much the sam as last week but now that Fui is injured, I want Turner there.

As I've said, I don't want Gus starting but we can't throw Turner staright into the starting line up after injury, he should come of the bench for a few games and then look to start him around Round 5.
Couldn't have put it better!

big hit!

Bench
do the burgii each dip their hands into a vat of grease before a game? FFS! first rule of rugby league is complete your sets. i don't care how many yards you make on a carry, if you drop the pill at the end of it, it's all for nought!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Kennar and Tatola wow. They’ve exceeded my expectation in first grade. I think it was you that also outlined in the round 2 game thread how fantastic Tatola’s attitude was as well. In my opinion our prop rotation looks fantastic. It’s funny though because now our second row rotation looks a lot weaker where as last year it was vice versa.
I notice Rsag has disappeared in regards to Kennar. He was saying he's not fit for first grade! I thought he was inspirational the other night! He's sort of doing that Goodwin role with the shit work too! What a try saver on Mansour too. I feel he can be a better defender than Gagai. Gagai needs to work on his defence!

big hit!

Bench
I’ve watched the second half over again and honestly there was nothing that was going to stop Penrith from winning that game. The injuries and silly errors didn’t help but my god was there a momentum shift. The fatigue really kicked in as well. The Burgess twins were really struggling near the end. The crowd was right behind them too. I’m looking at that last try and it was pure determination for Peachey to get that down.

This is a completely different footy side to the last few years though. I think we need to give Gagai more open space. Him and Kennar are absolutely spectacular with the ball in hand. GI will only get fitter as the season progresses and that will be crazy scary.

Gagai is a winger. He shows his best stuff as a winger. He was player of the origin series as a winger. Souths erred in signing him as a centre. he may not like it, but he's a winger. play him on the wing.

southsport

First Grade
I notice Rsag has disappeared in regards to Kennar. He was saying he's not fit for first grade! I thought he was inspirational the other night! He's sort of doing that Goodwin role with the shit work too! What a try saver on Mansour too. I feel he can be a better defender than Gagai. Gagai needs to work on his defence!
Gagai's defence wouldn't be a problem at fullback.

Travitoh

First Grade
do the burgii each dip their hands into a vat of grease before a game? FFS! first rule of rugby league is complete your sets. i don't care how many yards you make on a carry, if you drop the pill at the end of it, it's all for nought!

I can't help but feel it's an English thing to try and manipulate a raking penalty from the refs at times.

Kennar>Goodwin ;)

Rabbits20

Immortal
I can't help but feel it's an English thing to try and manipulate a raking penalty from the refs at times.

Kennar>Goodwin ;)
I wouldn't say so yet Trav!!

Tell me this, has Kennar played at international level for a highly thought of team and not a minnow??

Apart from that I'm not biting....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Gagai is a winger. He shows his best stuff as a winger. He was player of the origin series as a winger. Souths erred in signing him as a centre. he may not like it, but he's a winger. play him on the wing.

You’re right about Gagai’s best position being on the wing. However we paid him good money so we need him to get as much ball as possible and if we don’t have a good ball playing centre inside of him that might not happen.