What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Swarzey

Bench
Shame he's not a prop and that our backrow is (unless performance drops) set for the next 2-3 years, otherwise I'd love to make a play for him if they go all in on TPJ. One of the few Brisbane players I've always liked.

Spot On

Coach
Shame he's not a prop and that our backrow is (unless performance drops) set for the next 2-3 years, otherwise I'd love to make a play for him if they go all in on TPJ. One of the few Brisbane players I've always liked.

Not suggesting we should look at him but merely pointing out that he can chase a big pay day if a club really wants him. Hopefully there will be such a club and the Broncos will need to find the cash, I think they need to keep him - badly - for a few more years.

We have the cash for Tevita. If Brown really wants him and can get him with a big offer then he certainly won't be in a better position to secure someone like him.

Noname36

First Grade
The highly annoying thing is that we shouldn’t have to be chasing TPJ. He should still have been at the club if we were doing our jobs right (although I know Canberra threw a truck load of cash at him).

Burwood

Bench
I’ve got a feeling Wayne will chase Lamb at some stage soon, especially with the TPJ chatter linking him to Newcastle.

aqua_duck

Coach
The highly annoying thing is that we shouldn’t have to be chasing TPJ. He should still have been at the club if we were doing our jobs right (although I know Canberra threw a truck load of cash at him).
Pretty sure he made the move with his entire family when he was 16

aqua_duck

Coach
Pretty sure TPJ is best mates with Sione since childhood. If we're winning with a young team and offer up $150k more than the Broncos he'd be silly not to defect especially as he's from Newcastle

aqua_duck

Coach
Ah I see. Being that long ago I feel I may be mixing up some of the details with Tapine’s situation
I remember Pangai and Sione dominating Harold Mats as 14 year olds, pretty sure they won the Comp the following year and someone mentioned Pangai was heading to Canberra and it was a family decision so I assume one of his parents relocated for work, his older brother also moved there and played some under 20s for Canberra

Knight Vision

First Grade
I’ve got a feeling Wayne will chase Lamb at some stage soon, especially with the TPJ chatter linking him to Newcastle.
I bet thats on the cards regards Lamb. TPJ is exactly the type of prop Browny said he was after, young, aggressive, big motor with a passing game

perverse

Referee
Pretty sure TPJ is best mates with Sione since childhood. If we're winning with a young team and offer up $150k more than the Broncos he'd be silly not to defect especially as he's from Newcastle
Yeah I don't get why everyone is talking about how hard it will be to get him from the Broncos. I think we're a genuine shot at it. We have the cash, we have connections to him in the playing group. Wayne doesn't have the same aura, nor do the Broncos. We are clearly a squad on the rise and the Broncos are plateauing at best.

Then on top of all of the above, Wayne has never been a big spender on props.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Yeah I don't get why everyone is talking about how hard it will be to get him from the Broncos. I think we're a genuine shot at it. We have the cash, we have connections to him in the playing group. Wayne doesn't have the same aura, nor do the Broncos. We are clearly a squad on the rise and the Broncos are plateauing at best.

Then on top of all of the above, Wayne has never been a big spender on props.

Bennett comes across as a cranky old man, time to give it away before he gets pushed out the door. Appears he's made some major errors in handling the Broncos roster and salary cap just like he did in Newcastle. The Bird signing was a head scratcher given their roster at the time, would of thought that money would of been better spent elsewhere like the pack or halves.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I remember Pangai and Sione dominating Harold Mats as 14 year olds, pretty sure they won the Comp the following year and someone mentioned Pangai was heading to Canberra and it was a family decision so I assume one of his parents relocated for work, his older brother also moved there and played some under 20s for Canberra

Welcome back Aqua. We missed this insight!

Old dog

Juniors
We are 3-4 top line players from being a very top side, see and understand quest for Pangai, Prop, quality, young, former local who could play for quite a few years, type of player/person we need along with another prop, a centre (+the shark guy who is yet to prove himself) and one other forward or back for depth.
We will likely loose Lillyman and Heighinton but hopefully not Lamb for next season so should have cash in bank to purchase right type, must be top quality 1st graders, we don't want to wait 3 years for them to develop and mature.

Noname36

First Grade
We are 3-4 top line players from being a very top side, see and understand quest for Pangai, Prop, quality, young, former local who could play for quite a few years, type of player/person we need along with another prop, a centre (+the shark guy who is yet to prove himself) and one other forward or back for depth.
We will likely loose Lillyman and Heighinton but hopefully not Lamb for next season so should have cash in bank to purchase right type, must be top quality 1st graders, we don't want to wait 3 years for them to develop and mature.

To be honest I don't think we're 3-4 top line players away anymore. I think we're a lot closer now. We do need one top line prop that can put fear into the opposition, offload and bend the line. That will make all the difference for us. I have a heap of faith in the Saifits and Ese Ese going forward. We've been completely holding our own against much bigger packs.

The only other position I'm not convinced we're right in is centre so I'm interested to see how Sione and Moga go this year however so far they have been impressive considering they haven't had many opportunities + Sione is getting used to another new position and Moga had a shortened off season. We have Ramien coming in too so one may make way depending on how Ramien develops.

We do absolutely need that dominant, line bending middle forward/prop though to take us to the next level.

1. Ponga
2. Ross
3. Sione/Moga/Ramien
4. Sione/Moga/Ramein
5. SKD
6. Watson/Lamb
7. Pearce
8. NEW PROP
9. Griffin/Levi
10. Ese Ese
11. Fitz
12. Guerra
13. Barnett

14. Watson/Lamb
15. Saifi x1
16. Saifiti x2
17. Lillyman/Bhurer/Yates

I think Heighnington will retire end of this year but Lillyman will go around again.

Realistically we'll have injuries too.

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
When I said 3-4 I was taking into account we probably loose Heighinton and Lillyman or at least start to drop off. If you look at current side, take them out step up Dan bring Jake to bench, that gives bench of Lamb, Jake, Buhrer? and new buy or King/Yates.
Granted both Safi boys and Esee look the goods but leaves us short on good quality back up if we are looking to improve, injuries will happen, same goes for backs, Lamb goes we will need to replace and a good all round centre wouldn't hurt.

Noname36

First Grade
When I said 3-4 I was taking into account we probably loose Heighinton and Lillyman or at least start to drop off. If you look at current side, take them out step up Dan bring Jake to bench, that gives bench of Lamb, Jake, Buhrer? and new buy or King/Yates.
Granted both Safi boys and Esee look the goods but leaves us short on good quality back up if we are looking to improve, injuries will happen, same goes for backs, Lamb goes we will need to replace and a good all round centre wouldn't hurt.

If we get a top line prop then Dan can stay on the bench and come on with his brother which is where they both play their best footy.

I don't think we need to go out and by another 2 top line/cap eating props to replace Lillyman and Heighnington (although I really do think Lillyman will stay an additional year) - we just need another couple of solid, reliable toilers to cover for injuries. If we got one top line prop like TPJ, he Herman and the Saifis would make a great prop rotation IMO and they're not all going to be injured at the same time. Then get a couple of cheap reliable toilers to cover injuries. Save some money.

I agree we'll need to replace Lamb if he goes but I wasn't counting him in my number of top line players we need as he hasn't made any indication he's leaving at this stage.

I'm willing to see how Sione and Moga go for a few more rounds before making my opinion re whether I think we need another centre. Neither of them have let us down yet + we have Ramien coming who is meant to be a massive talent.

I just don't see the point in throwing around massive amounts of money if it's not needed. I think we need to continue our quality over quantity approach and buy a couple of key people and build around them. That way when someone like Ponga comes off contract we might have some wriggle room to upgrade and retain him.

We need that dynamic prop though. Badly.

macavity

Referee
The "bronco for life" call is the one that scares me.

Bennett saying "he is only here because of me" gives me some hope, because I can't see Bennett being there in 2020 and I reckon he knows it - so he may well advise TPJ to take the best deal. Guess we will see how big his axe is with us. We gave him his new mrs, he should love us.