What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

ThingFish

Juniors
League unlimited doesn’t work in here anymore but it’s Matt Gillett for anyone that was wondering. He has a clause in his contract that if offered better money he can play for another side in 2019.
I’d be disappointed if Richo didn’t have the check book out right now. Not for his daily Garlos, but for doing his actual job.

Travitoh

First Grade
Very good player but the fact his availabilty relies on others offering more than what he is currently on, i feel it'll take a big offer to get him and with turning 30 later this year, I'm not sure that there'd be much value to it when Souths are still a couple of years from being genuine contenders.
On the other hand, Easts have been very interested in him in the past and there is still no confirmation of Crichton having actually signed a contract for next season and beyond...

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I’d be disappointed if Richo didn’t have the check book out right now. Not for his daily Garlos, but for doing his actual job.

Well as it stands we’re being linked to every Tom, Dick and Jerry. We have a lot of money to spend supposedly. I think it was Triple M that was saying Sutton was on a lot more than most people thought.

I’d rather us focus on quality this season though. We have the filler players who do their jobs but I still feel like we’re 1 quality winger/fullback and 1 quality second rower short of the top teams. Papalli would probably be at the top of my list as Gillet will want over 1 mil a season after seeing what Crichton is getting.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well as it stands we’re being linked to every Tom, Dick and Jerry. We have a lot of money to spend supposedly. I think it was Triple M that was saying Sutton was on a lot more than most people thought.

I’d rather us focus on quality this season though. We have the filler players who do their jobs but I still feel like we’re 1 quality winger/fullback and 1 quality second rower short of the top teams. Papalli would probably be at the top of my list as Gillet will want over 1 mil a season after seeing what Crichton is getting.
Yep Gillett would be too expensive!

Rabbitoad

Juniors

I think you'll find Papalii would want a similar price

Travitoh

First Grade
Josh Papalii at 26 would be worth paying a bit more for. We'll be getting a rep quality forward who should be coming into his prime years and still will be when we are next contenders.

If we want quality, we're going to have to pay for it. The key will be buying the right players at a high price that best fit our situation.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Josh Papalii at 26 would be worth paying a bit more for. We'll be getting a rep quality forward who should be coming into his prime years and still will be when we are next contenders.

If we want quality, we're going to have to pay for it. The key will be buying the right players at a high price that best fit our situation.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'd definitely prefer Papalii.

But if we can't get him, Gillett would be a good fit for our forward pack.

In terms of running forwards, outside of Sam we've got a really inexperienced pack (even more so if/when Sutton retires).

The Sharks over the last few years showed the benefits that experienced, consistent forwards can bring to your team.

Travitoh

First Grade

Travitoh

First Grade
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'd definitely prefer Papalii.

But if we can't get him, Gillett would be a good fit for our forward pack.

In terms of running forwards, outside of Sam we've got a really inexperienced pack (even more so if/when Sutton retires).

The Sharks over the last few years showed the benefits that experienced, consistent forwards can bring to your team.

I certainly agree with what you are saying and I'm a huge advocate for having experience and leadership present during a rebuild.
My concern would be we'd pay too much and potentially miss out on a genuine star who can take us forward in a future season as a result.
That said, I would snap his agents hands off if Gillett was keen to join for the going rate.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
I certainly agree with what you are saying and I'm a huge advocate for having experience and leadership present during a rebuild.
My concern would be we'd pay too much and potentially miss out on a genuine star who can take us forward in a future season as a result.
That said, I would snap his agents hands off if Gillett was keen to join for the going rate.
Definitely a concern.

At the same time, I always worry that signing guys in their mid-20s could block the way for our juniors and drive them away.

I'd hate to lose the next Cameron Murray because he thought he'd have to wait 5+ years to get a chance.

It's a fine line to walk for our management, that's for sure.

callmack1

Staff member
Why so? We have one of the shorter injury lists in the comp
Thai might be true but we've been getting injuries to key players and they seem to be happening one ofter the other.

In regards to our second rower, I think it's great that we are looking at big guns as we apparently have a lot of cash to spend and another established, quality second rower would compliment our pack beautifully. Going after them is one thing but actually getting them and at the right price is another story.

I think we need a player who is very good defensively due to Reyno's shortcomings in that area.

Tbh, I would be really happen with any of Kaufusi, Papalii or Gillett.

Who knows? A young gun or fringe player might step up this year and our problems would be solved.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
I think we need a player who is very good defensively due to Reyno's shortcomings in that area.

Tbh, I would be really happen with any of Kaufusi, Papalii or Gillett.

Who knows? A young gun or fringe player might step up this year and our problems would be solved.
I think I've said this before, so sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I'd like to see Kyle Turner tried in that right edge second row position.

He played brilliantly there against Parra in Round 26 last year.

He's a genuinely strong defender and would be the perfect player to help cover Reynolds in that regard.

In attack, the things he did had always been quality, he just never did enough of them. He'd drift in and out of games (which was somewhat understandable given our battering ram, centre third style of play).

Now that we're using the ball more, it'd make it a lot harder for him to drift out of the game like that.

I'd be giving him some time there this year to at least give him the chance.

callmack1

Staff member
I think I've said this before, so sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I'd like to see Kyle Turner tried in that right edge second row position.

He played brilliantly there against Parra in Round 26 last year.

He's a genuinely strong defender and would be the perfect player to help cover Reynolds in that regard.

In attack, the things he did had always been quality, he just never did enough of them. He'd drift in and out of games (which was somewhat understandable given our battering ram, centre third style of play).

Now that we're using the ball more, it'd make it a lot harder for him to drift out of the game like that.

I'd be giving him some time there this year to at least give him the chance.
Great post mate and I 100% agree, I've been saying I want Turner there for a while. Hopefully he can push his way in over the next few weeks.

Would take Gillett at the right price. 29 is a good age for a forward. 29 - 32 is usually the peak of a forwards career. Would be a perfect replacement for John Sutton over the next 3 years or so.

Sadly, I don't think he will come at the right price. A few other teams out there with a bit of money looking for someone like him and so I think his asking price will end up being ridiculous.

If you're going to throw big money at a forward, I'd be throwing it at Shannon Boyd who comes off contract with the Raiders this year. He is my pick of the forwards on the market.