What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Knight Vision

First Grade
Bennett will be sacked on the spot if they don't keep Pangai. Should have been sacked when he bought Korbin Sims and let Wallace go - among many other stuff ups. Thaiday still playing????? What the hell is he doing?
Oh but signing Sims played to the " great man's " ego and helped perpetuate the myth that is Bennett. By signing Sims he shows the world that every player he's come into contact with wants to play for the greatest hoax in the history of RL, they want to play for him soooo much they play for less money.

Bennett is all about self perpetuating spin and ego, I could of coached those Broncos teams to Premierships. It could be argued they should of won more with the cattle they had at their disposal. Bennett can only win with a stacked deck, now the myth has worn thin and the ( legit ) 3rd party deals arent so thick on the ground, the only way the Broncos make the 8 is the leg up 7 day turn arounds provide them.

If a coach is judged on how he builds a club and provides for it's future Bennett is one of the worst coaches in the NRL.

Tiger5150

Bench
Tim Grant seeking an early release from WT to fill a front row shortage at the Panthers in the wake of McKendry going down. Grant still lives in the area. You heard it here first

I kind of hope this happens. I like Tim Grant. Always puts in 100%. Its just that his 100% isnt as spectacular as others. He got onto the extended bench this week but in reality he is behind Packer, Matulino, Twal, Eisenhuth, Felise & Sue (although in my opinion its a split match between him & Sue). He seems a real good bloke and while I dont particularly want him to leave the Tigers and its great having a bit of depth, for his sake I hope he gets a run somewhere.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Val had the entire season @fullback in 2017. He was given ample opportunity. He is a winger on fullback money, cowboys can have him.

That's the real issue isn't it? Holmes, French, Johnston - these guys aren't fullbacks, but that's where the money is.

Sure, they may have played junior football at fullback and "carved up" but there's a difference between carving up junior defences through speed and power compared to actually developing a rounded game for an NRL fullback.

Clifferd

Coach
That sounds quite strange. He's always seemed really happy at the club and from the Knights perspective he wouldn't be tying up much money and he's really popular with the fans.

Not sure of the truth to it, but apparently he wants to play either fullback/centre which doesn’t look likely at Newy

Noname36

First Grade
Not sure of the truth to it, but apparently he wants to play either fullback/centre which doesn’t look likely at Newy

Why doesn’t anyone want to play wing these days?

I get there’s more money in fullback/centre but Ross in particular is past the stage in his career where he should be expecting a significant pay rise.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Knights officials hope to tempt Broncos prop Tevita Pangai Junior back to Newcastle.

HE was the outstanding prospect Knights officials let slip through their fingers. Now they want to bring Tevita Pangai Junior back to Newcastle.

The power-packed prop, who starred in Brisbane’s comeback win against North Queensland last Friday night, is off contract at the end of this season and has already been identified by Knights coach Nathan Brown and football manager Darren Mooney as a recruitment target.

Pangai, 22, was a South Newcastle junior and Lambton High School student who was named in the Australian
under-15 merit team, alongside current Knight Sione Mata’utia.

But hopes that he would become a long-term Newcastle top-liner were torpedoed in 2013 when Canberra swooped to sign him and his two elder brothers, Kilu and Mosese. After two years in Canberra’s lower grades, Tevita signed with the Broncos, for whom he debuted in 2016.

He has since appeared in a further 34 NRL games and represented Tonga at last year’s World Cup.

Brown confirmed Newcastle had contacted Pangai’s agent to express interest in the three-time Junior Kangaroos representative.

“He’s a Newcastle junior, and he’s good mates with Sione and a few of the boys,” Brown said.

“He’s certainly the type of player that we’d like to add to our roster.

“Whether there’s any legs in it or not, I suppose the Broncos would love to keep him, and generally the Roosters are keen on good players, aren’t they?

“There are going to be plenty of clubs interested in him, but he’s certainly a player we’d like to have a conversation with.”

Brown described Pangai as “an outstanding young talent”, who had steadily improved over the past two seasons.

“His game last week was quite exceptional … we’d certainly like someone of that sort of leg speed and power if we can find them,” he said.

“There’s not heaps of them out there available, but he’s one that is available.

“But obviously there will be plenty of clubs interested in him and the Broncos would love to keep him as well.”

Newcastle have three quality young props contracted for the next three seasons in the Saifiti twins, Daniel and Jacob, and Pangai’s former Brisbane teammate Herman Ese’ese.

They have also spent two seasons developing Singleton junior Josh King, who is off contract and has started the year in NSW Cup.

Veteran imports Chris Heighington and Jacob Lillyman joined Newcastle this year on one-season deals.

Ese’ese had no doubt Pangai would be an asset in any team.

“Like you saw on Friday night, what he did against the Cowboys’ forward pack, he’d bring a lot of enthusiasm and a bit of grunt, as well,” Ese’ese said.

“If it’s true, it’s good for the club. But we’re not too worried about that. We’re just going to focus on the job at hand on Sunday night.”

Meanwhile, Brown is hopeful workhorse forwards Jamie Buhrer and Mitchell Barnett will be fit to tackle the Roosters on Sunday.

Buhrer is set to return from an ankle injury, while Barnett suffered a concussion in Sunday’s win against Canberra.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5299196/knights-bid-to-bring-pangai-back-to-newcastle/?cs=306

in the epl this is commonly known as tapping up lol

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I wouldnt say it was likely at the Tigers either, we have Tui at Fullback with cover from Thompson and in the centres we have Naiqama and Masters as well as Mahe Fanua and Taane Milne.

Tiger5150

Bench
I wouldnt say it was likely at the Tigers either, we have Tui at Fullback with cover from Thompson and in the centres we have Naiqama and Masters as well as Mahe Fanua and Taane Milne.

None of those names are terribly exciting options (Masters looks promising). Would prefer all of them over Ross.

Nathan Ross seems to me another guy who has built a "profile" with his stupid self imposed nickname and fake tough guy/bogan personaility. His profile exceeds his ability. As a positive he looks like he has a crack.

Lebbo73

Bench
Oh but signing Sims played to the " great man's " ego and helped perpetuate the myth that is Bennett. By signing Sims he shows the world that every player he's come into contact with wants to play for the greatest hoax in the history of RL, they want to play for him soooo much they play for less money.

Bennett is all about self perpetuating spin and ego, I could of coached those Broncos teams to Premierships. It could be argued they should of won more with the cattle they had at their disposal. Bennett can only win with a stacked deck, now the myth has worn thin and the ( legit ) 3rd party deals arent so thick on the ground, the only way the Broncos make the 8 is the leg up 7 day turn arounds provide them.

If a coach is judged on how he builds a club and provides for it's future Bennett is one of the worst coaches in the NRL.
Ok idiot

blaza88z

Coach

I tend to disregard all opinions any Knights fan has regarding Wayne Bennett, you'll need an excavator to scoop up all the salt.. it's just not worth it and by the way.. his post was right up there for saltiest post of the year, front runner for mine and I know it's early in the year but that will take some topping

Spot On

Coach
I tend to disregard all opinions any Knights fan has regarding Wayne Bennett, you'll need an excavator to scoop up all the salt.. it's just not worth it and by the way.. his post was right up there for saltiest post of the year, front runner for mine and I know it's early in the year but that will take some topping

Agreed. Makes no sense whatsoever to have a negative opinion of a coach that left the club in such a positive position when he ran out, I mean, finished up his time there.

He didn't kick many goals there after 3 years but he did score a bride!

Lebbo73

Bench
Agreed. Makes no sense whatsoever to have a negative opinion of a coach that left the club in such a positive position when he ran out, I mean, finished up his time there.

He didn't kick many goals there after 3 years but he did score a bride!
The players were struggling to get paid. Your coal mining magnet hero that you worshipped was going broke. Did you expect miracles?

Latest posts