What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 W-NSWRL Comps

siv

First Grade
With 3 womens comps in 2018. 4 if its really Division 1 / Division 2

We probably need a seperate thread for draws and results

U16s carnival in July
U18s junior format
The top tier comp

Reactions: kbw

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Tarsha Gale discussion has largely taken place within Ball/Matts but I guess it can go here

http://bit.ly/2018TGCupDraw for ongoing updated Tarsha Gale Cup draw.

Still a ways away from the NSW Womens Premiership draw - comp kicks off Mar 25

siv

First Grade
For main W-NSWRL premiership are there two divisions or just one ?

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
I don't know that the second division is called "championship".

But yes, the Harvey Norman Women's Premiership is the 'top tier' and now contains

• Cabramatta
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
  • Brothers Penrith
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs
  • North Sydney Bears
  • Wentworthville Magpies
  • Mounties
  • Newcastle
  • Cronulla-Caringbah Sharks
The only surviving team by the looks is Cronulla-Caringbah.

As I understand the teams from last year, for the most part, will contest what's called the Women's Open Conference (second tier)

upload_2018-2-2_9-48-23.png

kbw

Bench
Souths have basically pinched Redfern AllBlacks team and as mentioned elsewhere I think Newcastle is North Newcastle

siv

First Grade
After another two 90 plus blow outs I would to suggest we need to rejig the W-U18s

Currently its 9s

But not in 2 x 9 min halves - it is 4 x 15 min quarters with 9 players and 6 interchanges

We need to give the girls a chance to help each other in defence

They looked stuffed after just one quarter

I beleive 60 min is a ok duration just like the men or go back to 25 min halves like u14s/u15s

Option 1 - reduce the width of the field if we are to play 9s - come in 5 or 10m each side

Option 2 - we already have 15 players each week - just revert back to normal 13 players with 4 interchanges

Timmah

Staff member
Yep. If you potter around this site you might find the draw :eyes:

Timmah

Staff member
Last edited:

kbw

Bench
Today was a bit of a moment in history for WRL.
It was the first game of Women's RL played as a curtain raiser for a first grade game.

While Cronulla outclassed the Roosters it was a good game of RL. Some great hits in defense.
It was a good showcase and the crowd really got into it .
well done to both teams

Timmah

Staff member
While that might be true in terms of games for a competition, the Sharks and Dragons and possibly Raiders from memory have all hosted Women's curtain raisers at NRL games in recent years. Cronulla in particular.

As for the actual Women's Premiership (the game you speak of was only a TG Cup U18's game of four fifteen minute quarters), that mantle will be held by South Sydney and Canterbury this Friday at ANZ, 1:55pm kickoff prior to the NRL clash. There are a few NSW Womens Premiership games scheduled for NRL curtain raisers this year which is great news.

kbw

Bench
This was the first "Real competition" womens game of RL held as a curtain raiser to a first grade game.

You can't change that fact that while "only Tarsha Gale" it was still a competition match.
It is great that there are more, but they will never the be first

kbw

Bench
There are def been competitions for a long time and its great to see more recognition

kbw

Bench
There is an A grade comp that feeds into teams in the NSW WRL.

Its surprising with Newcastle being strong last year..
I imagine there was some emotion in that win by Cronulla

Timmah

Staff member
This was the first "Real competition" womens game of RL held as a curtain raiser to a first grade game.

You can't change that fact that while "only Tarsha Gale" it was still a competition match.
It is great that there are more, but they will never the be first
From what I recall a TGC game actually was a curtain raiser last season, can't remember which game though.