What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test line up Vs India

We have a couple of Shield games prior the first test?

Id say 2-3 spots could be because of form here

The weird thing is, if guys like Cameron White hits a couple of Shield tons early, he could make his way in the side

for what its worth

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
SMarsh (not sure, love a fit Chris Lynn to take this spot)
No idea - Handscomb? Maxwell? Head? White?
MMarsh (gun in the ashes, stupidity to piss him off v India on home turf)
Paine (c)
Starc
Cummins (vc)
Lyon
Haze

Chris Lynn can’t play spin, and our next two opponents are the masters at it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sayers needs to stay, variation in the pace attack is a good thing.

I'd be scrapping Mawell and all of the Marsh's
The experienced players we have available aren't performing that much better than the young guys. I say go with a youth policy and as the OP said, go forward with some tests against Zimbabwe and Bangers (3 tests each), if it was possible, a series against the Windies or Kiwi's wouldn't hurt leading into the series against India.

Build some confidence, play in some varying conditions, grab a few wins. Would do them a world of good.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
1 Matt Renshaw
2 Joe Burns
3 Usman Khawaja
4 Kurtis Patterson
5 Glen Maxwell
6 Mitch Marsh
7 Tim Paine
8 Pat Cummins
9 Mitchell Starc
10 Josh Hazlewood
11 Nathan Lyon

Hilton Cartwright
Jake Doran

Khawaja is under huge pressure. I would like to see Maxwell get another chance and on home soil. Kurtis Patterson is a favorite of mind. 24 years old and averages 40 in FC. Would love to see him get an oppurutnity. Hilton Cartwright is another 26 years old and averages 45 in FC. Only got to play in 2 test matches and didnt get another chance. Jake Doran is a bolter and will need a great start in the shield but he is only 21 and coming off a great shield season for tasmainia.

1 Matt Renshaw
2 Joe Burns
3 Usman Khawaja
4 Kurtis Patterson
5 Glen Maxwell
6 Mitch Marsh
7 Tim Paine
8 Pat Cummins
9 Mitchell Starc
10 Josh Hazlewood
11 Nathan Lyon

Hilton Cartwright
Jake Doran

Khawaja is under huge pressure. I would like to see Maxwell get another chance and on home soil. Kurtis Patterson is a favorite of mind. 24 years old and averages 40 in FC. Would love to see him get an oppurutnity. Hilton Cartwright is another 26 years old and averages 45 in FC. Only got to play in 2 test matches and didnt get another chance. Jake Doran is a bolter and will need a great start in the shield but he is only 21 and coming off a great shield season for tasmainia.

Had high hopes for Patterson but he had a shocker of a season this year, needs to hit form again before he can get a baggy green.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Had high hopes for Patterson but he had a shocker of a season this year, needs to hit form again before he can get a baggy green.

He definetley needs a big shield season but I think he will have a bounce back season similar to Bancroft this year.

Most frustrating thing about Patterson this year was him constantly getting out after making a start, dismissed far to much in the 20/30’s and then again in the 50’s

tomdl

Bench
It has made no sense the way he has been treated. 1 test against Pakistan then brought back for 1 test against Bangladesh and not seen since despite solid shield form
Selectors need to stop giving people the impression he is been picked as an all rounder. He’s a batsmen. He’ll be batting number 3 in a few years if he can get his 2016/17 shield form back imo. Was very ordinary for the most part of this season though. Average dipped to 43 after been close to 52 at the start of the season.

Bazal

Post Whore
Selectors need to stop giving people the impression he is been picked as an all rounder. He’ll be batting number 3 in a few years if he can get his 2016/17 shield form back imo. Was very ordianry this season

Yep. He's a very good batsman but did have an ordinary year. His bowling, like Ponting or Hussey, is just a bit of a bonus if needed to trundle out a handful of overs.

I'd like to see a side that looks something like:

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja (needs to lift big time but experienced)
Ferguson (experienced and quality)
Head (likely next captain at this stage with no other obvious candidates, may as well see what he's got)
Paine
M Marsh (more effective at 7 IMO and Paine is easily good enough for 6)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Haze

Cartwright and Handscombe certainly not on the scrap heap, they just need to find form. Patterson in the mix as well, and young(er) guys like Labuschagne, Weatherald, a chance on form. We've got heaps of solid-good bowling depth, thankfully.

In some ways it's quite an exciting period in Aussie cricket tbh. We need a bit of a broom, let's see who stands up.

Yep. He's a very good batsman but did have an ordinary year. His bowling, like Ponting or Hussey, is just a bit of a bonus if needed to trundle out a handful of overs.

I'd like to see a side that looks something like:

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja (needs to lift big time but experienced)
Ferguson (experienced and quality)
Head (likely next captain at this stage with no other obvious candidates, may as well see what he's got)
Paine
M Marsh (more effective at 7 IMO and Paine is easily good enough for 6)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Haze

Cartwright and Handscombe certainly not on the scrap heap, they just need to find form. Patterson in the mix as well, and young(er) guys like Labuschagne, Weatherald, a chance on form. We've got heaps of solid-good bowling depth, thankfully.

In some ways it's quite an exciting period in Aussie cricket tbh. We need a bit of a broom, let's see who stands up.
Agree with everything except for Ferguson being quality. A true plod who averages under 40 over a lifetime of first class cricket. He's a Smarsh without the famous name

Paine has one first class hundred at an average of 30. Definitely not a number 6.

He’s not a traditional number 6, but what I’ve noticed about him since he’s been back is he doesn’t give away his wicket easily. Bowlers really need to earn it.

From that perspective I’d have him at no.6 just to stabilise our middle order.

Agree with everything except for Ferguson being quality. A true plod who averages under 40 over a lifetime of first class cricket. He's a Smarsh without the famous name

Thing is, there’s hardly any shield batsmen averaging in the 40’s over their career. Ferguson had a quality year this year, puts him ahead of others.

Since Tim Paine has been back in the test team he’s averaging 45

Obviously there’s quite a few not outs in that, but just shows he’s not giving away his wicket

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
Doesn’t matter who we put in, it’s gonna be awful, lucky if the team gets to 200 in most matches

Our batting stocks are crap

TheParraboy

Staff member
He’s not a traditional number 6, but what I’ve noticed about him since he’s been back is he doesn’t give away his wicket easily. Bowlers really need to earn it.

I agree with that, he has been solid

But with the wicket keeping and captaincy gig id keep him at 7, Cummins and Starc next in, between them there is some runs there, we need to get out top 6 in order. counting the days till Smithy is back

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Paine has one first class hundred at an average of 30. Definitely not a number 6.

well you could refer to his FC stats over the last 10 years, or you could refer to his current form where he has been making 50s at international level while those around him have been failing

which do you think is more relevant ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

personally I think batting positions are over rated, Gilly could have batted at 4 or 5 but didn't and he went OK

Latest posts