What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

The Great Dane

First Grade
Well this a f##king stupid idea, complete waste of the time...

The only reason that it works in England is cause of how small England is, in Australia it'll ride a wave of novelty for one or two years and will have fallen to shit by the 5th year.

Couldn't they at least have held it somewhere where the impact of such an event would be more significant as well, like Melbourne, Adelaide, or Perth, I mean the whole point of the magic weekend in England is to create some publicity for the sport in markets that it's trying to crack.

Anyway, at least the Raiders shouldn't be wasting a home game on this crap.

Barkley

Bench
That raises an interesting point....how will they determine whose home game is used? I am assuming the “home” team earn more from the event?

The Great Dane

First Grade
That raises an interesting point....how will they determine whose home game is used? I am assuming the “home” team earn more from the event?

None of the Knights, Warriors, Storm, Titans, or Cowboys better have one of their home games taken away from them unwillingly for this or I'll be pissed, and their fans'll have every right to be furious as well.

They can't take one of the Raiders home games away cause the Raider lease for Raiders HQ and Bruce stadium is contractually reliant on all 12 of our home games being played in Canberra, so the Raiders would be in breach of their contract if one of their home games was taken away from Canberra.

We've been through this before with the NRL and ACT government and it always comes to a stalemate when the government says that they'll wave the clause if either the NRL agrees to play a rep game in Canberra to make up the difference or if the Raiders agree to play an exhibition game of equal standing to the NRL game that is being taken on the road, at which point the NRL refuses to take a rep game to Canberra and the Raiders say they'd be happy to take the game on the road and play the exhibition game but only if the NRL funds it cause they never planned to take the game on the road in first place and will be out of pocket if they have to schedule the exhibition game on top of their regular season because of taking a game on the road as a favour for the NRL, at which point the NRL refuses to fund the exhibition game as well and gives up completely on trying to get a Raiders game moved out of Canberra.

So the Raiders almost certainly won't be negatively effected by this, so I don't really care, but good luck to the other clubs that could be seriously negatively effected by this.

beave

Coach
f**king ridiculous.

If that’s their ‘compromise’ for not shit canning the GF in Sydney because of the change in agreement to ANZ’s rebuild, then they can shove it up their ass. Even though I will get to see my team for an extra game in SEQ, we will no doubt lose a home game out of this and I don’t want to see the people of NQ miss out on a game, let alone what financial $$$ the club will probably lose out of this.

The NRL are hopeless with their scheduling/draw, this just confirms it deluxe imo. Utter f**ktards.

Diesel

Referee
I know there are set TV times but would’ve been better to have 3 matches each in Brisbane (Sunday) and Perth (Saturday) and a game for Adelaide and somewhere else.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I know there are set TV times but would’ve been better to have 3 matches each in Brisbane (Sunday) and Perth (Saturday) and a game for Adelaide and somewhere else.

Even a magic qld weekend

With 2 games at gc 2 at nq and 4 at suncorp would be a bit pallatable

T-Boon

Coach
Would be a good week to have the womens state of origin in Brisbane - get all the NRL teams there supporting. Maybe have a Broncos training session before hand to help get a few extra fans in. Sounds good. I am all for the NRL trying gutsy things rather than the same old same old.

Saint Doc

Coach
I don’t get all the whinging.

The recurring themes on this forum and in the crowds thread.

- there are too many games in Sydney
- we need another Brisbane team so we’re playing more games at Suncorp to boost crowds

You think people won’t travel for this? They will. It’s a festival of rugby league! It’s going to be awesome. The total crowd for the round will probably be up there with the highest of any round all year.

T-Boon

Coach
You think people won’t travel for this? They will. It’s a festival of rugby league! It’s going to be awesome. The total crowd for the round will probably be up there with the highest of any round all year.

Exactly, Movie World Thursday, booze and strippers Friday, Brizzy saturday for double header, Dreamworld Sunday, Strippers sunday night. Home monday.

Last Week

Bench
The more I think about this the less I like it.

Why not just three Qld teams host opposing teams on Saturday?

2:30pm - Cowboys v Storm
5:00pm - Titans v Raiders
7:30pm - Broncos v Warriors

And then in Sydney the next day on Sunday, or vice versa, what ever.

2pm - Eels v Sharks
4pm - Tigers v Panthers
6pm - Bulldogs v Roosters
8pm - Rabbitohs v Dragons

Newcastle can host Manly on Friday night..

This is where Nine and Fox should come together and support the games endeavours.

jim_57

Staff member
Not a fan.. seems like every hole that could be poked in it has already by others.

If we're going for gimmick rounds I'd prefer a 'Country Round' where 8 games are taken to regional towns/cities. We would already probably be able to fill that with games taken to Central Coast, Bathurst, Darwin, Toowoomba, Cairns etc this year, why not make a feel good 'event round' out of it?

Or even an 'On the road' round where games are taken to different cities outside of the Eastern States or Overseas if we're being adventurous.

Happy to be proved wrong but I just don't think the magic weekend concept works in Australia.

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
The more I think about this the less I like it.

Why not just three Qld teams host opposing teams on Saturday?

2:30pm - Cowboys v Storm
5:00pm - Titans v Raiders
7:30pm - Broncos v Warriors

Cowboys vs Storm- 19k in Tville
Titans vs Raiders 12k in GC
Broncos vs Warriors 35k in Brisbane

Total: 66k. Therefore you lose 11k by playing at Suncorp.

And then in Sydney the next day on Sunday, or vice versa, what ever.

2pm - Eels v Sharks
4pm - Tigers v Panthers
6pm - Bulldogs v Roosters
8pm - Rabbitohs v Dragons

Each of those games standing alone, you’d expect the average to be around 14-15k

Is this quadruple header going to attract more fhan 60k? Unlikely. Net gain zero.

The Magic weekend is way better than this.