What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Broncos rd6

Warriorsoul

Juniors
Just one of those games. Broncos made few errors and slowed the ptb down so we couldn't get a roll on, and took advantage of some pretty crappy tackling and handling errors from us. How's Ayshford going in the reserves?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Just one of those games. Broncos made few errors and slowed the ptb down so we couldn't get a roll on, and took advantage of some pretty crappy tackling and handling errors from us. How's Ayshford going in the reserves?

Don't think he was even named this week.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Damn. Saw this coming, sadly. How we get up for next week will show if we're contenders or pretenders this season

Yup. All week it felt like a low was coming.

Problem now is that it puts us in a difficult spot. We have 3 games in 10 days starting with the Dragons, Then Storm midweek before facing a fresh Tigers only a few days later.

That's a serious test.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Broncos were really in a mood today, and gave us practically nothing. Didn’t think we were terrible but just a yard or so off the pace and a few silly lapses cost us.
Broncos were lucky with the last try, pretty sure that heel touched chalk but they were saved by the corner post preventing conclusive enough footage but it didn’t matter in the end.

Iafeta

Referee
That was pretty ordinary. Suspect they were lulled into a false sense of security with Gillett out.

They were off the pace fractionally and Brisbane just ground us into our half. Sad thing is most of the tries were soft.

Their first try, Shaun is out of position and Hiku fluffs another arm grab (good attacking player but by god he’s a relentless jersey grabber of epic proportions).

Second try Paasi and Green miss a sitter defensively.

Third try Green over commits on the slide and is beaten all ends up.

Fourth try (I maintain his heel was out) was just off a series of soft errors and penalties.

Our middle was weak today. Post contact metres against us will be horrific. Fus had a horror show with his hands. Gellings 7 minutes should surely see him back in ISP.

Harris bombed a try. Tried a grubber, but if he passes Fus is in comfortably.

One thing I didn’t like midweek was training in junior kits. Look, nice sentimental idea but I felt we were off slightly attitude wise. Maybe not enough intensity in preparation.

The bloke I do think had a serious dig was Ken. He was trying to carry the pack.

Despite the Dragons being our lords and masters, this may sharpen our attitude. Then again, could be the beginning of the end knowing us. Hopefully not because it’d be a huge shame to fall away.

Iafeta

Referee
Broncos were really in a mood today, and gave us practically nothing. Didn’t think we were terrible but just a yard or so off the pace and a few silly lapses cost us.
Broncos were lucky with the last try, pretty sure that heel touched chalk but they were saved by the corner post preventing conclusive enough footage but it didn’t matter in the end.

No try in my book. Heel was out.

The refs allowed a lot of wrestling today. The penalty purge is over.

Su’A going through the middle after running behind and through 42 Broncos in midfield was a classic display of putting the whistle away. He bloody well ran behind Allan Langer FFS. The ref said when he eventually blew the penalty that he got a word. He should have done his job in the first place.

The penalty where Milford threw the ball into Johnson who rolled out of the ruck and played possum on the ground like he is supposed to is a blight on the game. Needs to be fixed immediately. If you deliberately do it it should be a turnover.

Iafeta

Referee

Didn’t play today.

Beale is probably a fortnight away as well.

Big Marn

Juniors
Any word on the injuries? Pulu has been going great for us. Hate for it to be season ending.

Any of the backs in the reserve team stand out today? I didnt get to see the game.

As the weekly grind takes over there will be up and down weeks. This was definitely a down week.

Attitude in defence is what lost it for us more than anything else. Their first 3 tries were just lazy.

Energy was low for us, high for them. There's only one outcome in that situation.
Which is weird as it's our first time back to back at home. You think it would mean more energy.
SO we brought into the thought of an easy game I think.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Disappointing but Im not going to get too cut up about it. We were always going to have a flat day some time, every team in every year does.

Only brief thoughts are Gelling needs to be dropped, adding nothing as a non big body playing 7 minutes. That's Satae/Gavets spot. And Hiku, for all his attacking gifts is a shocking defender. That's going to cost us at some stage (and did for Oates' try)

No try in my book. Heel was out.

The refs allowed a lot of wrestling today. The penalty purge is over.

Su’A going through the middle after running behind and through 42 Broncos in midfield was a classic display of putting the whistle away. He bloody well ran behind Allan Langer FFS. The ref said when he eventually blew the penalty that he got a word. He should have done his job in the first place.

The penalty where Milford threw the ball into Johnson who rolled out of the ruck and played possum on the ground like he is supposed to is a blight on the game. Needs to be fixed immediately. If you deliberately do it it should be a turnover.
Milfords done it before, I remember him doing it vs the Storm.
SJ needed to my flat at least. But clearly deliberate and we had the opportunity to do it twice as well in second half.

JJ

Immortal
Our pack is pretty ordinary IMO and the Broncos exploited that

They have over achieved so far I struggle to see how they can keep that up

Benek

Juniors
Yeah that was shocking. Wasn't even a player there he could have pretended to be passing to, in fact it was almost a forward pass. Refs need to stamp out this trend quick smart. And stamp out the Billy Slater flops while they are at it.

Benek

Juniors
I hope the boys have a lot of tough tackling practice this week because the pussy shirt grabbing we displayed today was embarrassing. We gave up a lot of soft line breaks and tries due to missed tackles. Had the missed tackle stats been even, that would have been a very different game, despite Broncs still winning the middle.

Broncs slowed the ball down tremendously and the refs let them get away with it, which eliminated our number one strength. Meanwhile, we did the opposite - let them play fast and loose. Essentially they shut down our preferred style of play and then beat us at our own game.

The boys have had a good few number of errors in every game so far, and I've been saying for the last month that it was going to bite them eventually. Today we really really paid the price. Combined with somehow coming up with a flat, low-energy game. Almost zero line-speed right from the get-go. Where was the intensity of the first 5 matches?

Roberts dominated Kata. Oats also had a blinder for the most part. Finally our historically frail edge defence was found out today, on the back of the broncs winning the ruck and momentum.

I really hope this is a wake up call for the boys. We will need a far better effort next week or risk being blown off the park.

I hope the boys have a lot of tough tackling practice this week because the pussy shirt grabbing we displayed today was embarrassing. We gave up a lot of soft line breaks and tries due to missed tackles. Had the missed tackle stats been even, that would have been a very different game, despite Broncs still winning the middle.

Broncs slowed the ball down tremendously and the refs let them get away with it, which eliminated our number one strength. Meanwhile, we did the opposite - let them play fast and loose. Essentially they shut down our preferred style of play and then beat us at our own game.

The boys have had a good few number of errors in every game so far, and I've been saying for the last month that it was going to bite them eventually. Today we really really paid the price. Combined with somehow coming up with a flat, low-energy game. Almost zero line-speed right from the get-go. Where was the intensity of the first 5 matches?

Roberts dominated Kata. Oats also had a blinder for the most part. Finally our historically frail edge defence was found out today, on the back of the broncs winning the ruck and momentum.

I really hope this is a wake up call for the boys. We will need a far better effort next week or risk being blown off the park.

Dufty and Atkin will have a field day on the edge next week.

Lots to work on.

Worried RTS elbow injury more than let on, he offloading kick returns and not supporting for offloads. (Doesn't want to get smashed in traffic)

It was a wheres SJ game for 40-50mins.

Luke couldn't get out of dummy half as much due to slow ruck play.

Mannering back and tackles from others look soft.

Last edited:

Leber

Bench
Centre is going to be a problem area for us I think. Kata (probably) Beale and Ayshford injured, Hiku bad defender, Gelling being just plain shit etc.

jaseg

Juniors
Refs put the whistle away and we didn't adjust.

But more to the point, just a bad game all around really. Played some dumb footy at times, and had some ridiculous individual misses in defence. A well earned loss, unfortunately.

As Phil said, Dufty (in particular) will rip us to shreds if we defend like that next week.

RE the centre issue, if Kata is out and Aysh/Beale not ready... 2 options: 1) CNK comes in (either at centre - my preference - or on the wing with Fus at centre - what I fear will be SK's preference) or 2) Mannering goes to centre with Papalii returning to NRL (since Pulu is out I'm assuming), opening up spots on the bench (Satae, Sao, Gavet if fit, Vete? didn't see the ISP game today, so only if he played well etc).

I don't see how Gelling keeps his spot after that abysmal showing when he came on. Not worth keeping a guy on the bench when he dishes out that tripe. Let him play some ISP.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
Sao was outstanding in ISP. I think he’s an absolute certainty next week. Having a really good year Ligi.