What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FO Kearney

vvvrulz

Coach
The acid test will be when we have lost a couple..
The team will be riding high now ( and rightfully so), but it won't last forever..

I expect that when we do lose (and we will), we go down with dignity.

I'm seeing a lot of evidence of that this year, if Johnson missed that droppie against the Raiders for example there'd have been no disgrace.

Blair

Coach
A perfectly phrased thread title when it was posted.

Kearney needs to make the eight this year, particularly after this superb start.

It'll be FO all over again if he fails.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm still waiting for that feeling of "we are going to blow this somehow!" to go away in the middle of the game.
I'm not sure it will go this season???

How we bounce back from our first loss will be a big measure of how we are going.

We have a solid run coming up.
Broncos
Dragons
Storm (away and short turn around)
Tigers
Roosters

Lucky most at home.
Our first loss could easily be in the next 5 games.
Just hope we can meet Dragons undefeated for a top of table clash.

All very winnable games, but all conceivably losable too even without dropping our bundle in a big way. I’ll be happy with 3 or more wins from those, wed still likely be top 3 with that.

sup42

Juniors
I'm still waiting for that feeling of "we are going to blow this somehow!" to go away in the middle of the game.
I'm not sure it will go this season???

How we bounce back from our first loss will be a big measure of how we are going.

We have a solid run coming up.
Broncos
Dragons
Storm (away and short turn around)
Tigers
Roosters

Lucky most at home.
Our first loss could easily be in the next 5 games.
Just hope we can meet Dragons undefeated for a top of table clash.

First Loss i'm picking is against the Dragons. I know that's not rocket science calling them out, with their current red hot form, but the real problem isn't how they are going so much, it is the pattern the Dragons play.
Their formula you could talk about for hours, especially since the Warriors have adopted the same principles in the type of players they have assembled, and the style they are playing with.
What amazes me about St George is that they have stuck with the same mobile solutions to winning the ruck for as long as I've followed them, even through the various coaching changes, they have remained a highly mobile side.

The most obvious thing they do is use Mobile forwards and they go large on dummy half runs and offloads when returning the kick. They win the ruck speed, and they exhaust the opposition.

The mind boggles as to how the new Warriors will adjust to that, and even more exciting from my pov...how do Saints cope with coming up against their protege, the mobile fit Warriors.

I won't bore anyone going further in depth on the styles make fights stuff etc...but gee I'm excited. Getting back to why they are favored, well they have been playing the brand of football we have adopted longer than we have, they have an almost bullet proof confidence against us, you know they never get stressed playing us.

The Statistic where they have won something like twenty and we have won three or thereabouts is no fluke, its about a clash of styles and ours historically not being suitable to play them (for example, St George Illawara are a very tidy team, they have sound completions, and they strangle you, the Warriors penchant for errors and risky footy plays right into that).

So....If we lose to St George Illawara, It won't tell me there is anything new to worry about, I think every team has a style that struggles against another teams strengths (us and Melbourne) and you just pray you don't meet those sides in a finals eliminator.

I know I'm ahead of myself talking up this game, but no matter what happens this week, next week is like a early season Grandfinal for both clubs in a fun way (who cares about the naysayers and their 'March Premiers' ). Everyone in the Comp wants to see this clash, we've earned it, so have they, we might as well enjoy it.

My concern with this week is that I suspect Brisbane who are now in dire straights, are going to revert to their default move against the Warriors - go out there and bash us like it's Queensland Vs NZ. We have had some brutal games when the Broncos are in that mindset. players have been lost for the season, both sides have gotten thoroughly thrashed the following week.

Loving the Footy thanks Mr Kearney and your loyal band of brothers.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
:D

Yesterday's loss wasn't down to bad coaching, in my eyes. Brisbane negated our strengths through lying all over us, without recrimination from the refs. Spose the coaching we'll need from hereon in is being able to negate that.

But we were flat. And our one-on-one tackling was abysmal.

Hiku's made 98 tackles and missed 30, as per the Warriors website. That is beyond atrocious, is it not? Second in the comp behind the perpetual speed bump, James Maloney.

Blair

Coach
Missing one in three tackles? But I liked Hiku, thought he'd be one of those low-key buys that surprised us.

Iafeta

Referee
:D

Yesterday's loss wasn't down to bad coaching, in my eyes. Brisbane negated our strengths through lying all over us, without recrimination from the refs. Spose the coaching we'll need from hereon in is being able to negate that.

But we were flat. And our one-on-one tackling was abysmal.

Hiku's made 98 tackles and missed 30, as per the Warriors website. That is beyond atrocious, is it not? Second in the comp behind the perpetual speed bump, James Maloney.

His attack is good. He has a good engine too. When that right hand side is on its quite brilliant with Johnson, Harris, Hiku and Fus.

But he is a habitual arm grabber. Never goes low. Never goes in with the shoulder around the waist. In fairness, some of his misses are when he’s first bloke down chasing a quick and he’s trying to hem them in.

The stats with quick rudimentary math suggests his tackle accuracy is around 74%. Centres usually won’t be more than backrowers etc because they are defending more space often against players with momentum. But, he needs to get it into the mid 80s. On Oates try, Hiku arm grabbed, Johnson had overcommitted on the slide creating the gap Oates took, and Harris arm grabbed. One of those parts is executed better we stop that try.

Blair

Coach
His attack is good...But he is a habitual arm grabber. Never goes low. Never goes in with the shoulder around the waist...

So him and Kata in the same side? Two good attackers, two dodgy defenders. Left and right centre.

Iafeta

Referee
Kata has been ok the last month or so IMO. Hiku however has not been good at all defensively.

I’m not sure how Hiku has not had the arm grab coached out of him yet. Harris for the most part has saved his backside this season.

vvvrulz

Coach
Kata has been ok the last month or so IMO. Hiku however has not been good at all defensively.

I’m not sure how Hiku has not had the arm grab coached out of him yet. Harris for the most part has saved his backside this season.

Kata has proved in seasons past he can be a beast in defence, his problem was always up there and he's switched on this season.

Hiku though, wtf is going on. Get some of that ju-jitsu in you son.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Well that has to be the best coaching performance by a Warriors coach ever, to turn around from last week and play in a game against fourteen men, with twelve no less....well...these guys defend better than any team in the comp....and that is Kearneys Job he is head defensive coach in this set up.

Incredible effort. He backed in Gelling especially, on Aitken, and was repaid in spades. Wonderful coaching effort.

FO stands for f**king outstanding now.

Iron Lion

Juniors
Incredible effort. He backed in Gelling especially, on Aitken, and was repaid in spades. Wonderful coaching effort.

FO stands for f**king outstanding now.

Aitken is nailed on as an origin centre this year. Every game this season he chewed and spit out his opposite centre. Gelling handled him pretty easily it seemed. I doubt Kata would of matched up as well. Quite surprising.

Iafeta

Referee
Gelling was full on beast mode indeed. Aitken was Aids like against Gelling

Master stroke from Stephen.

Latest posts