What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ouryears

Bench
It was a pity andrew walker hadn't found his feet in league at that stage. had he had some more seasons under his belt after transferring from yawnion, he could have been an asset to the team.

the biggest differences in '93 from '92
we had finals / big match experience from the previous year. beattie was the only dragons player in '92 who had played in any finals series / grand final. only barnhill & collins had experienced finals in other teams.
brad mackay had an injury free season.
mark coyne realised his big match potential
gordon tallis was developing & giving great backrow depth.
graeme bradley proved a good replacement for mick beattie.

but the biggest in my view - phil blake. off the bench, he was electric & we had a real strike weapon.
Great analysis mate, for sure Phil Blake would have created a fair bit of opportunity for us in the match had he been on the field all game.

Sure did have X factor!

gregstar

Referee
1995 really sucked balls as well.

we started the year like a stretched & torn anus but suddenly hit our straps at the end of the year and we were blowing teams apart.

we played canterbury in the first semi in heavy rain & we were absolutely dudded on the call for their only try which was as blatant an obstruction as exists in rugby league. we were the better team on the day & we lost courtesy of an eddie ward special. that loss really pissed me off given we were playing an exciting brand of footy we hadn't produced since the end of '83. the fact the dogs ended up wining the comp didn't help either!

ouryears

Bench
1995 really sucked balls as well.

we started the year like a stretched & torn anus but suddenly hit our straps at the end of the year and we were blowing teams apart.

we played canterbury in the first semi in heavy rain & we were absolutely dudded on the call for their only try which was as blatant an obstruction as exists in rugby league. we were the better team on the day & we lost courtesy of an eddie ward special. that loss really pissed me off given we were playing an exciting brand of footy we hadn't produced since the end of '83. the fact the dogs ended up wining the comp didn't help either!
Remember that match well, we were so much better than dogs on the day, heavy rain and all.
If my memory is right, Tallis played a blinder for us, what year did he stand down for a year?

gregstar

Referee
Remember that match well, we were so much better than dogs on the day, heavy rain and all.
If my memory is right, Tallis played a blinder for us, what year did he stand down for a year?
i was absolutely spitting chips when we lost.
one pleasing aspect of the year's ending was bartrim finding form with us. the next year he was sensational.

tallarse the deadsh*t sat out the following year. i was absolutely spewing about that as well. even as a qlder he lost me completely after that.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

And, remember the prick took the matter of his valid playing contract to Court, and lost.

I don't have a legal background but I would've thought Tallis's decision to ignore the proceedings against him were contempt of court.

Apparently not.

It also vexes that Wayne Bennett actively encouraged Tallis to not play for Saints that season.

ouryears

Bench

And, remember the prick took the matter of his valid playing contract to Court, and lost.

I don't have a legal background but I would've thought Tallis's decision to ignore the proceedings against him were contempt of court.

Apparently not.

It also vexes that Wayne Bennett actively encouraged Tallis to not play for Saints that season.
Yeah, we need to get them back somehow very soon.

Maybe Hunt will score a try that stops them making the top 8.. or perhaps we can knock them out in the semi finals, though both those seem way too tame.

Needs something more ruthless, let's think about the perfect payback and implement it hey!

Last edited:

mw10371

Juniors
ah yes, 1993.

we lost to a virtual state of origin roster.
we lost to a champion team which the arl admitted (10 seasons later) had been illegally maintained just as the raiders of the same era had been. They had been too gutless to act for fear of tainting a popular product on the eve of competition expansion.

the drongos certainly deserved to win the game. it's just that they did it with an illegally assembled & maintained team.

we had 2 origin reps at the time.
they maintained a roster containing origin 14 reps at that time.

it was a sh*tty end to a wonderful season on & off the field for the club.

i felt the turning point of the grand final was the loss of jason stevens in the first or second tackle of the game when he went in to cream lazzo & f*cked his finger. we were suddenly down a prop who had had a sensational first season. the guy had given lazzo an absolute bath in the last round win at ANZ in brissie. we couldn't cover his loss. we also fell into the trap of trying to match the razzle-dazzle flair of the drongos for the first 20 mins and made too many mistakes in doing so. you could tell as soon as they scored the first try, we were f*cked. you could see it in brian smith's reaction.

Then Coyne went down, played pretty much crippled for the second half. Everything that could have went wrong, did so that game.

gregstar

Referee
Then Coyne went down, played pretty much crippled for the second half. Everything that could have went wrong, did so that game.
yes. forgot about that!

it was also a pity that we were crap in '94 because if he was in '93 form that year he would have made the kangaroo tour.

Frank Facer

First Grade
ah yes, 1993.

we lost to a virtual state of origin roster.
we lost to a champion team which the arl admitted (10 seasons later) had been illegally maintained just as the raiders of the same era had been. They had been too gutless to act for fear of tainting a popular product on the eve of competition expansion.

the drongos certainly deserved to win the game. it's just that they did it with an illegally assembled & maintained team.

we had 2 origin reps at the time.
they maintained a roster containing origin 14 reps at that time.

it was a sh*tty end to a wonderful season on & off the field for the club.

i felt the turning point of the grand final was the loss of jason stevens in the first or second tackle of the game when he went in to cream lazzo & f*cked his finger. we were suddenly down a prop who had had a sensational first season. the guy had given lazzo an absolute bath in the last round win at ANZ in brissie. we couldn't cover his loss. we also fell into the trap of trying to match the razzle-dazzle flair of the drongos for the first 20 mins and made too many mistakes in doing so. you could tell as soon as they scored the first try, we were f*cked. you could see it in brian smith's reaction.
Great post.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yeah, we need to get them back somehow very soon.

Maybe Hunt will score a try that stops them making the top 8.. or perhaps we can knock them out in the semi finals, though both those seem way too tame.

Needs something more ruthless, let's think about the perfect payback and implement it hey!
I would start with signing Pangai Junior.

dragoninmexico

Juniors
Getting back to our great start in 93 does anyone remember those two games back to back when we played both the Dogs at Belmore when we were both undefeated and then the broncos at kogarah who were the first team to beat us? Chook Heron scored a great solo try against the broncos. The game against the Dogs was an absolute cracker ! Great memories.

Life's Good

Coach
Getting back to our great start in 93 does anyone remember those two games back to back when we played both the Dogs at Belmore when we were both undefeated and then the broncos at kogarah who were the first team to beat us? Chook Heron scored a great solo try against the broncos. The game against the Dogs was an absolute cracker ! Great memories.
Yes I was at both games. We had grandstand seats at Belmore and it was quite a warm Sunday afternoon. I remember walking out pumped with the win dodging dirty Dogs fans as we headed home.
The game against the Broncos was the one Goldthorpe absolutely poleaxed Trevor Gilmeister in a pearler of a tackle. My mate remarked ‘the axe just got axed!’.
Great times.