What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUFTY V DUGAN

Frank Facer

First Grade
Different players with different skill sets.
Mc Fookknuckle couldn't work what position to play Dugan in let alone develop a game plan around him and no doubt not having a halves combination impeded that.
Dufty has the advantage of a super halves pairing and he is prospering from that and now attack is our best friend whereas before our impotent attacks best friend was our defence.
Loved Dugan's whole hearted goal line defence and love Dufty running through a hole so pro's & con's for both and some times it is the roster around you that dictates the style of play you get drawn into.
Re passing or hogging the ball the great Reg Gasnier had scored a couple of tries 1 afternoon at Kogarah and after getting into a hole he found big Elton Rasmussen (no slouch for speed) along side him & Puff passed the ball to him and big Elton sped away and scored under the posts.
That try secured Elton a well deserved Kangaroo tour spot and for his generosity Puff was told that if he ever passed the ball in that situation again he would find himself in reserve grade.
Pro's and con's for most things in life.
Cronulla probably have the worst pair of halves in the comp, in Hodkinson and Townsend, but Moylan is their best option at fullback and Flanno agrees. If they had a better option at fullback, then he would be playing Moylan at 5/8.

So Flanno isn't devising a game plan around playing Dugan at fullback either, like you and Benny V has suggested that Mary should have. No other club wanted to sign Dugan to play fullback for them either. So no other coaches wanted to devise a game plan around Dugan at fullback either. It looks like Mary had the right idea when he moved Dugan from fullback to centre, a few years ago. Since then that is where Dugan has been picked in the rep teams too. I suggested last year that Dugan's best position may even lie as an edge backrower. I still think that could be the case, but he may get injured even more playing second row.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
No not at all.
Many times I have said that IMO we never saw the best of Dugan due to the coach and the issues we had in the halves.
Dugan could have been truly sensational playing for our club in attack and defence but circumstances prevented that from happening.
So now that he has gone I am finding a different style of enjoyment in watching you Dufty but in saying so I have no grievance with Dugan.
You continue to blame Mary for Dugan's inadequacies. It is getting beyond boring. Blame the player not the coach. Dugan had 4 and half years at our club and never became the truly sensational player that you are suggesting that he could or should have been, if it wasn't for Mary being our coach. No other clubs wanted Dugan as their fullback and no other coaches thought they could turn him into the sensational fullback that you are suggesting that Mary prevented him from becoming.

We have the form forward pack in the comp, playing under Mary, everyone of our forwards are playing top footy.

We have the form pair of halves in the comp, playing under Mary. Hunt has said that our structure has improved his game and he left Brisbane who were coached by Bennett, who you and others still think is the Messiah.

Aitken and McDonald are in great form this year, playing under Mary.

Dufty is playing great footy, under Mary's coaching.

Mary hasn't made any of the above players play bad, if anything, maybe he should be given some credit for our players playing so good. lol I am not holding my breath waiting for you to start praising Mary and to stop referring to him as McFooknuckle.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Spot on mate - WOW is all I could come with and I’ve watched them about a dozen times.
Can’t decide which one was better.
It’s been a while since we could watch a couple of our trys in the same game and go Wow.
I showed a mate of mine Dufty's tries last night. I never showed any of my mates any tries that Dugan scored.

Drag Queen

Bench
If you’re going to correct someone on their spelling and grammar, get your own right.

“your’s” - just doesn’t work there. Same way Dugan didn’t work at the Dragons for the time we had. Duges was a ‘safe’ player who could help you not lose a game. Dufty has an X factor that can win you a game from nothing. To me that’s the biggest difference.[/QUOTI

Drag Queen

Bench
You're correct. Written after a two hour sleep. In future I'll say what I really feel/ or not. It's definitely a boy's club. Reminder to self that McInnes and Dufty could pass as twins

You're correct. Written after a two hour sleep. In future I'll say what I really feel/ or not. It's definitely a boy's club. Reminder to self that McInnes and Dufty could pass as twins
its not a boys club we just have a no dickhead policy in here and currently yourself and objective spew are in breach of that policy!! Your input as a fan is welcome but when you become consistently combative and insulting you wear out your welcome regardless of you gender or any other factors!have a nice day.GO THE SAINTS!!!

Old Timer

Coach
You continue to blame Mary for Dugan's inadequacies. It is getting beyond boring. Blame the player not the coach. Dugan had 4 and half years at our club and never became the truly sensational player that you are suggesting that he could or should have been, if it wasn't for Mary being our coach. No other clubs wanted Dugan as their fullback and no other coaches thought they could turn him into the sensational fullback that you are suggesting that Mary prevented him from becoming.

We have the form forward pack in the comp, playing under Mary, everyone of our forwards are playing top footy.

We have the form pair of halves in the comp, playing under Mary. Hunt has said that our structure has improved his game and he left Brisbane who were coached by Bennett, who you and others still think is the Messiah.

Aitken and McDonald are in great form this year, playing under Mary.

Dufty is playing great footy, under Mary's coaching.

Mary hasn't made any of the above players play bad, if anything, maybe he should be given some credit for our players playing so good. lol I am not holding my breath waiting for you to start praising Mary and to stop referring to him as McFooknuckle.
Funny how easily you can be bought 6 wins and a completely devoted Mc Fookknuckle disciple.
When he wins a comp I'll change my terminology to coach as I believe a decent coach could have gotten us very close last year and all the way this year so let's see how it pans out from here.
Your dislike of Dugan is palpable and quite irrational as in his entire time with us he had rookie coaches and dysfunctional halves.
I correctly say that we never saw the best of him because the circumstances of the dumbarse coach not picking a proper 7 and wanting to play the power game never blended itself to open attacking football.
The coach who you don't like to see disparaged couldn't work out where to play Dugan and shuffled from foot to foot without making a proper decision.
It would not have mattered much to me to see Dugan at centre or FB however at the time he IMO was obviously the best option to play FB as to be frank who else was there?
Dugan for 2 years had been part of a successful Australian backline and why because the coach can coach and get the best out of players.
You are correct that we have the form halves of the comp this year and I'm positive if Dugan was FB he would be a very exciting player but the fact is we will never know it is just a matter of opinion.
By all means keep giving the credit to Mc Fookknuckle but do you honestly believe any of this would be happening without Hunt and to a lesser extent Graham because we didn't have them last year and how did that pan out for us?
As I said I have no issues with Dufty and do enjoy his playing style but I also enjoyed Dugan and would have loved him to have had a half like Hunt form the day he arrived.
As I said both have very different skill sets and at least I can see the reality of that unlike yourself.
Last but not least you have tagged me as being pro Bennett you obviously have not read many of my posts in relation to him.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Funny how easily you can be bought 6 wins and a completely devoted Mc Fookknuckle disciple.
When he wins a comp I'll change my terminology to coach as I believe a decent coach could have gotten us very close last year and all the way this year so let's see how it pans out from here.
Your dislike of Dugan is palpable and quite irrational as in his entire time with us he had rookie coaches and dysfunctional halves.
I correctly say that we never saw the best of him because the circumstances of the dumbarse coach not picking a proper 7 and wanting to play the power game never blended itself to open attacking football.
The coach who you don't like to see disparaged couldn't work out where to play Dugan and shuffled from foot to foot without making a proper decision.
It would not have mattered much to me to see Dugan at centre or FB however at the time he IMO was obviously the best option to play FB as to be frank who else was there?
Dugan for 2 years had been part of a successful Australian backline and why because the coach can coach and get the best out of players.
You are correct that we have the form halves of the comp this year and I'm positive if Dugan was FB he would be a very exciting player but the fact is we will never know it is just a matter of opinion.
By all means keep giving the credit to Mc Fookknuckle but do you honestly believe any of this would be happening without Hunt and to a lesser extent Graham because we didn't have them last year and how did that pan out for us?
As I said I have no issues with Dufty and do enjoy his playing style but I also enjoyed Dugan and would have loved him to have had a half like Hunt form the day he arrived.
As I said both have very different skill sets and at least I can see the reality of that unlike yourself.
Last but not least you have tagged me as being pro Bennett you obviously have not read many of my posts in relation to him.
I am not completely devoted to Mary as you just said. lol I have been very critical of Mary last year and preseason. I would have liked us to have had a new coach for at least 2 years. I was calling for us to sign Cleary or to install JD as coach. I was even saying that we should sign Bellamy a few weeks ago. But now that we are going so well, Mary's job is secure, because he now has the cattle to work with. We are playing a very good brand of football now, so some credit must be shown to Mary for that. I said that you blaming Mary for Dugan not being the sensational fullback is wrong, especially when most of our players are all in great from right now. I said that you have to blame the player not the coach. I said that no other coaches wanted to sign Dugan and devise a game plan around him at fullback. I said that Mary moved Dugan from fullback years ago and it was the right move.

I was calling for Dufty to be our fullback from the beginning of last year and wasn't happy that Mary put Nightingale there as a stop gap solution. I was saying that Dugan was handicapping our attack for years.

We had Mcrone at halfback last year, we were never going to challenge for a premiership with Mcrone. I criticised Mary for selecting Mcrone last year too. I was calling for Mann to be selected as Widdop's halves partner all year.

I will say that Dugan is a selfish player. Dugan isn't fast enough for my liking as a fullback. Dugan doesn't score enough tries for my liking as a fullback. Dugan doesn't provide enough try assists as a fullback. Dugan handicapped our attack for 4 years. Dugan is injury prone. I wish that you were a coach of an NRL team and bought him and tried to devise a game plan around him at fullback.

I apologize for thinking that you thought Bennett was the Messiah.

ouryears

Bench
I am not completely devoted to Mary as you just said. lol I have been very critical of Mary last year and preseason. I would have liked us to have had a new coach for at least 2 years. I was calling for us to sign Cleary or to install JD as coach. I was even saying that we should sign Bellamy a few weeks ago. But now that we are going so well, Mary's job is secure, because he now has the cattle to work with. We are playing a very good brand of football now, so some credit must be shown to Mary for that. I said that you blaming Mary for Dugan not being the sensational fullback is wrong, especially when most of our players are all in great from right now. I said that you have to blame the player not the coach. I said that no other coaches wanted to sign Dugan and devise a game plan around him at fullback. I said that Mary moved Dugan from fullback years ago and it was the right move.

I was calling for Dufty to be our fullback from the beginning of last year and wasn't happy that Mary put Nightingale there as a stop gap solution. I was saying that Dugan was handicapping our attack for years.

We had Mcrone at halfback last year, we were never going to challenge for a premiership with Mcrone. I criticised Mary for selecting Mcrone last year too. I was calling for Mann to be selected as Widdop's halves partner all year.

I will say that Dugan is a selfish player. Dugan isn't fast enough for my liking as a fullback. Dugan doesn't score enough tries for my liking as a fullback. Dugan doesn't provide enough try assists as a fullback. Dugan handicapped our attack for 4 years. Dugan is injury prone. I wish that you were a coach of an NRL team and bought him and tried to devise a game plan around him at fullback.

I apologize for thinking that you thought Bennett was the Messiah.

Frank, I think we need a rule where no response can be more than 100 words, you should have been a writer

Besides that, I agree with you re Duges

ouryears

Bench
I think you should be a writer too OT

giboz71

First Grade
You add nothing to this forum! No humour no insight nothing,you are combative,insulting and condescending and you should really f**k off!! Oh and roll over wake up objective spew and take him with you you two are a match made in hell!

Mate, OV is alright. He has opinions and he sticks to them.

Unlike the troll who just likes to pick fights just for the sake of it.

Best just to ignore.

I remember another troll that used to bag Widdop in every thread. Don’t hear from him much these days now that Widdop is one of the best players in the comp.

Mate, OV is alright. He has opinions and he sticks to them.

Unlike the troll who just likes to pick fights just for the sake of it.

Best just to ignore.

I remember another troll that used to bag Widdop in every thread. Don’t hear from him much these days now that Widdop is one of the best players in the comp.
My main objection to ov is him telling me I’m not a true supporter when 1/he doesn’t know me from lick 2/ I’m a 10 year member and 3/it’s the same crud in every thread but agree otherwise

Latest posts