What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Warriors

Smack

Coach
I know what you mean regarding Blair he can be a cheap shot merchant when he wants to be....but rest assured after JDB bends him in half a few times and Mr Sims finishes him off he may well end up like his Titans mate Mr Hurrell....and we know what happened to him dont we

I'm looking forward to the physical battle and how we match up tonight.

I'm expecting our toughest game of the season, so far, so I won't be disheartened with a loss, I just want a good effort that resembles every other game we have played.

blacksafake

First Grade
I'm looking forward to the physical battle and how we match up tonight.

I'm expecting our toughest game of the season, so far, so I won't be disheartened with a loss, I just want a good effort that resembles every other game we have played.
Agree.
Tonight i think we'll find out where we are at.I reckon the warriors were thinking ahead to tonights game last week.

ALSGI

Bench
Tonight we’ll be the first team to score 200 points. At this point last year we had scored 119 points, this year we’ve scored 194.

Next best is Warriors and Manly on 142 and they could be 2-3 weeks away from reaching 200.

I know this means jack shit if we loose the next few games, but I do think it shows how improved the team is at this stage and I can’t see us losing the next few games tbh. Everyone knows things can change quickly.

With several realistic SOO jumpers up for grabs the players will be pumped but there seems to be much more cohesion this year and as Elliot said in his coaching segment, they’re playing with a pack mentality.

I haven’t enjoyed ‘Dragons Footy’ this much in a long time and I’m confident we’ll have a long awaited good year.

Dragons by 20.

getsmarty

Immortal
preview-pic_r7_warriors-v-dragons.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Warriors v Dragons: Mannering starts against unbeaten Dragons
Author
Tim Keeble
Timestamp
Fri 20 Apr 2018, 03:30 PM

For five weeks the Warriors enchanted us with their free-wheeling nothing-to-lose approach. The Broncos brought them back to earth with last week's win in enemy territory and everybody's waiting to see if the honeymoon is over or if they are legitimate top eight contenders.

It's not as though the Warriors were bad against an injury-weakened Brisbane, but there was a faint whiff of complacency about their performance and they can't afford to take anyone lightly. Coach Stephen Kearney should have no trouble getting his side up for the unbeaten competition leaders.

There were a few rumblings after the Dragons scraped home against Souths in round five that a loss was just around the corner. Well it wasn't around the first corner, as the Dragons romped to a big win over crosstown rivals Cronulla, leaving them battered and bruised in the process.

Given their good record in Auckland over the years, it might not be around the next corner either.

Key match-up: This has all the makings of a game that will come down to how the halves influence their respective teams. Hard as it is to go past Shaun Johnson v Ben Hunt, the contest between classy five-eighths Blake Green and Gareth Widdop carries a touch more intrigue. They are similar players of a similar age and whoever is the most effective will impact heavily on the result.

Warriors v Dragons - Round 7

For the Warriors to win: Stick to the basics and don't get caught up in their opponents' game plan. The Warriors need to make an aggressive statement in the first 20 minutes and convince the unbeaten Dragons that they're in for their toughest game thus far. A world-class performance from Johnson also wouldn't hurt.

For the Dragons to win: Weathering an expected early storm will be paramount for the competition leaders. If their hard-working forwards contain their Warriors counterparts, Widdop and Hunt will provide ample scoring opportunities for the Dragons backs.

Warriors stat attack: The Warriors are the NRL's top team for offloads with 98 in six games, well ahead of second-best Manly (82). Winger David Fusitu’a has scored 10 tries in his past five games at Mt Smart Stadium.

Dragons stat attack: St George Illawarra seemingly have the wood on the Warriors, winning 13 of their past 14 meetings. The Dragons are the NRL's most prolific attacking team with an average of almost 33 points per game.

And another thing: Dragons five-eighth Gareth Widdop will play his 100th game for the club on Friday. The Englishman is having an outstanding season, leading the NRL in points, try assists, goals and line-break assists.

Prediction: Dragons by 13

Match: Warriors vs Dragons

6:00pm

Home Team

Warriors

3rd Position

Away Team

Dragons

1st Position

Venue: Mt Smart Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Fox League
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
Warriors v St George Illawarra Dragons, 8pm NZT (6pm AEST) Friday at Mt Smart Stadium

Warriors: 1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c), 2 David Fusitu'a, 3 Peta Hiku, 17 Anthony Gelling, 5 Ken Maumalo, 6 Blake Green, 20 Mason Lino, 8 Bunty Afoa, 9 Issac Luke, 10 Agnatius Paasi, 11 Simon Mannering, 12 Tohu Harris, 13 Adam Blair

Interchange: 14 Jazz Tevaga, 15 Sam Lisone, 16 Albert Vete

Reserves: 18 Chris Satae, 21 Isaiah Papali'i, 22 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Shaun Johnson and Solomone Kata will miss the match against the Dragons through injury, with Mason Lino to start at halfback and Anthony Gelling in the centres. Simon Mannering starts in the back row for Leivaha Pulu (foot) with Albert Vete joining the bench. Bunty Afoa starts at prop for Sam Lisone (bench).

Dragons: 1 Matthew Dufty, 2 Nene Macdonald, 3 Euan Aitken, 4 Tim Lafai, 5 Jason Nightingale, 6 Gareth Widdop (c), 7 Ben Hunt, 8 James Graham, 9 Cameron McInnes, 10 Paul Vaughan, 11 Tyson Frizell, 12 Tariq Sims, 13 Jack De Belin

Interchange: 14 Jeremy Latimore, 15 Kurt Mann, 16 Leeson Ah Mau, 17 Hame Sele

Reserves: 18 Jacob Host, 19 Zachary Lomax

As expected the Dragons are unchanged from their win over Cronulla. Mitchell Allgood and Blake Lawrie were the two players to drop off the bench 24 hours out from kick-off.

Head-to-head: Played 26; Dragons 21 wins; Warriors 5 wins

Matches at venue: Played 10; Dragons 6 wins; Warriors 4 wins

2017 results: Dragons won 26-12 at Jubilee Oval in round 4 and 30-14 at FMG Stadium Waikato

Points per game: Warriors 23.7; Dragons 32.3

Points conceded per game: Warriors 15.3; Dragons 13.3

Televised: Live on Fox League

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/17...-st-george-illawarra-dragons-preview-round-7/

Latest posts