What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Without a doubt a case for Perth

Stallion

First Grade
I’d rather see us in the ESL.
Perth v NY in 2023sounds far more exciting than perth v some Sydney suburb.

You would! And at the same time not appreciate the long earnt notoriety and widespread recognition of that well established Sydney club. Your thinking has discounted historical and generational recognition and significance. This lends itself to what people refer to as credibility and sporting legitimacy. But your whole logic/stance ignores this important feature at the codes peril.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
You would! And at the same time not appreciate the long earnt notoriety and widespread recognition of that well established Sydney club. Your thinking has discounted historical and generational recognition and significance. This lends itself to what people refer to as credibility and sporting legitimacy. But your whole logic/stance ignores this important feature at the codes peril.

How many people outside of Australia/NZ do you think have heard of any of the 16 sides?

Stallion

First Grade
How many people outside of Australia/NZ do you think have heard of any of the 16 sides?

I am referring to Australian sport. This is something that got lost in your contempt for existing iconic football clubs in Sydney. These clubs are ingrained in the sports psyche of this sports minded nation. Yet you offer all sorts of flawed reasoning to have them not feature in a growing top flight competition. The generational and established notoriety of the Sydney based clubs are vital for the NRL competition going forward and expanding.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
I am referring to Australian sport. This is something that got lost in your contempt for existing iconic football clubs on Sydney. These clubs are ingrained in the sports psyche of this sports minded nation. Yet you offer all sorts of flawed reasoning to have them not feature in a growing top flight competition. The generational and established notoriety of the Sydney based clubs are vital for the NRL competition going forward and expanding.

Ingrained on the psyche of the nation? Lol you think the vast majority outside of two states give a shit about any of the clubs?

Stallion

First Grade
Ingrained on the psyche of the nation? Lol you think the vast majority outside of two states give a shit about any of the clubs?

You certainly would be surprised at the general sports knowledge of Australians everywhere. It's prevalent all right. I travel to Melbourne every year and they know about the NRL big time. I've been to other cities like Adelaide and Perth along with visiting Tasmania and its well known by the locals.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Perth has a solid League fanbase, in terms of neutral fans however the majority of people typically enter conversations about League with;

Why are there two kinds of rugby? What's the difference?

Why do they pass the ball backwards?

Where is Penrith?

Are all the Cronulla fans racists?

To suggest the Sydney clubs carry some sort of mythic aura is beyond a joke, most people on the train when I attended the NZ/AUS game in 2016 asked if I was going to the Wallabies.

Stallion

First Grade
Perth has a solid League fanbase, in terms of neutral fans however the majority of people typically enter conversations about League with;

Where is Penrith?

To suggest the Sydney clubs carry some sort of mythic aura is beyond a joke, most people on the train when I attended the NZ/AUS game in 2016 asked if I was going to the Wallabies.

? It's not a mythic aura. It's a reality. We are in a sports minded nation. A funny anecdote to this which relates to what you have stated; Myself and a Newcastle mate used to visit Melbourne for the races. We befriended a Melbourne bloke who considered himself a fan of all sports. This guy quizzed us one day asking "Who would win a fight between Spud Carrol and John Eales. After laughing for a few minutes we enlightened him with a raucous answer of "SPUD CARROL would eat him alive! "
Agreed they are distant but are nevertheless aware and interested at what goes on in NSW and Qld footy wise.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
? It's not a mythic aura. It's a reality. We are in a sports minded nation. A funny anecdote to this which relates to what you have stated; Myself and a Newcastle mate used to visit Melbourne for the races. We befriended a Melbourne bloke who considered himself a fan of all sports. This guy quizzed us one day asking "Who would win a fight between Spud Carrol and John Eagles. After laughing for a few minutes we enlightened him with a raucous answer of "SPUD CARROL would eat him alive! "
Agreed they are distant but are nevertheless aware and interested at what goes on in NSW and Qld footy wise.

That story needs more phone calls to newspaper editors.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I'm actually trying to work out what the point of the story was, something to the effect of Sydney clubs are popular because Mark Carrol could beat up John Eales?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are you still answering Stallions delusional ideas? lol you may as well bang your head against the wall, it will be less painful.

Perth v Toronto WCC final in Dubai sponsored by Rolex. It's like Ribot's SL dream became reality!

Stallion

First Grade
I'm actually trying to work out what the point of the story was, something to the effect of Sydney clubs are popular because Mark Carrol could beat up John Eales?

It shows that the locals of Victoria and other states are aware of the other codes. They just don't know things like how shit union is etc! I can see plenty have issues with inferential knowledge in this site.

taipan

Referee

Where is Penrith?

We are ,we consider Victorians beneath us.Which geographically they are.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
? It's not a mythic aura. It's a reality. We are in a sports minded nation. A funny anecdote to this which relates to what you have stated; Myself and a Newcastle mate used to visit Melbourne for the races. We befriended a Melbourne bloke who considered himself a fan of all sports. This guy quizzed us one day asking "Who would win a fight between Spud Carrol and John Eagles. After laughing for a few minutes we enlightened him with a raucous answer of "SPUD CARROL would eat him alive! "
That's not funny at all! Peanut!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Who the f@ck is John Eagles?