What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL launches touch football premiership

Stallion

First Grade
If it is done right the Touch Footy League will increase crowds. Reserves and under 20s never did that.

Agree. Opens up a greater market that do not necessarily link rugby league with touch footy. However would love to see the play the ball revisited in touch footy. It would make such a better feel/look for this game compared to the "run and dump" style that's in play for touch nowadays. Hope this can happen as time goes on. After all touch footy was "tippy league" and the play the ball was an integral part of touch footy/tippy league.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Agree. Opens up a greater market that do not necessarily link rugby league with touch footy. However would love to see the play the ball revisited in touch footy. It would make such a better feel/look for this game compared to the "run and dump" style that's in play for touch nowadays. Hope this can happen as time goes on. After all touch footy was "tippy league" and the play the ball was an integral part of touch footy/tippy league.

Yes, I think the way the NRL should do it is get this competition to be the most powerful Touch Footy comp in the world (that should not be hard), make it semi pro, get all the best TF players in the world playing in it. Then start influencing the rules a bit. Allow one marker, play the ball properly, allow kicks so long as the ball does not touch the ground.

Stallion

First Grade
Yes, I think the way the NRL should do it is get this competition to be the most powerful Touch Footy comp in the world (that should not be hard), make it semi pro, get all the best TF players in the world playing in it. Then start influencing the rules a bit. Allow one marker, play the ball properly, allow kicks so long as the ball does not touch the ground.

I like your kick suggestion. I think allowing for various kicks (ground or air) would be good. If touch went back to its original rules, much the same as tag then I think will be of great benefit to playing numbers flowing onto rugby league into the future.

T-Boon

Coach
I think allowing for various kicks (ground or air) would be good.

I don't think it will go back to allowing grubber kicks or long kicks. It would require skills that are a bit too far from the game they want. It is a running/fitness/fun game. Grubbers would force exclusion of a lot of the target participants. We can sneak a few RL skills in but we cant get too greedy.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Agreed mate do you and @Stallion think that the RFL, NZRL and RLIF should follow suit and partner with or start touch football leagues so that the game as a whole can use it as a global development vehicle?

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL's thrown millions for a link up with Touch over the last few years, at least this will give us something back for the money beyond fudged participation figures to make us look good. Touch really should be a massive vehicle for awareness and entry into the code but needs to change it name to TRL. Could also be used as a vehicle into the big boys arena like the Olympics.

T-Boon

Coach
Agreed mate do you and @Stallion think that the RFL, NZRL and RLIF should follow suit and partner with or start touch football leagues so that the game as a whole can use it as a global development vehicle?

That would be good if they can. I think in NZ and England rugby union is trying to claim ownership of touch but they cant get around the fact it is way more like league.

Stallion

First Grade

Absolutely. And the sooner the rugby league bodies formalize this the better. Their's no denying the Six tap rule etc are more rugby league centric than union. However union will try to sly in on the action in their own way and claim touch as well.

Stallion

First Grade
NRL's thrown millions for a link up with Touch over the last few years, at least this will give us something back for the money beyond fudged participation figures to make us look good. Touch really should be a massive vehicle for awareness and entry into the code but needs to change it name to TRL. Could also be used as a vehicle into the big boys arena like the Olympics.

Touch football in the name is still ok as long as they incorporate more play with the foot on ball as it originally was. For instance, playing the ball with the foot and the option to kick would be good.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Absolutely. And the sooner the rugby league bodies formalize this the better. Their's no denying the Six tap rule etc are more rugby league centric than union. However union will try to sly in on the action in their own way and claim touch as well.

No doubt, I think that is why we need to partner up globally, not just in Australia

Perth Red

Post Whore
Touch football in the name is still ok as long as they incorporate more play with the foot on ball as it originally was. For instance, playing the ball with the foot and the option to kick would be good.

Really? You think outside of a couple of countries touch football is a good descriptor for a variation of rugby league? What do you think people in Brazil will think of when they hear touch football? lol

I see Union aren't stupid enough to call their version (which is pretty much exactly the same as Touch League) anything that would be confusing! And of course it wouldnt be RL without competing interests and even more confusion!

In England it is even more stupidly called "England Touch".
Then if you want to get really confused you could visit the TouchRugbyLeague site that is all about TouchRugby (Union)! lol
or the O2 Touch site that is Union Touch but that just calls it Touch mostly and talks about the "nearest o2 TouchLeague. Confused yet?

https://playtouchrugbyleague.co.uk/category/touch-rugby/

http://www.trl.com.au/

http://fijisun.com.fj/2018/04/15/big-plans-ahead-for-touch-rugby/

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach

Australian children are being conned out of an education.

Stallion

First Grade
Really? You think outside of a couple of countries touch football is a good descriptor for a variation of rugby league? What do you think people in Brazil will think of when they hear touch football? lol

I see Union aren't stupid enough to call their version (which is pretty much exactly the same as Touch League) anything that would be confusing! And of course it wouldnt be RL without competing interests and even more confusion!

Then if you want to get really confused you could visit the TouchRugbyLeague site that is all about TouchRugby (Union)! lol
or the O2 Touch site that is Union Touch but that just calls it Touch mostly and talks about the "nearest o2 TouchLeague. Confused yet?

https://playtouchrugbyleague.co.uk/category/touch-rugby/

http://www.trl.com.au/

http://fijisun.com.fj/2018/04/15/big-plans-ahead-for-touch-rugby/

Yes. I'm aware of the hijacking of essentially a rugby-league warm up by English RU administrators. It's noticeable to a few how they have purposefully and slyly moved their way in on a rugby league centric training activity.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Australian children are being conned out of an education.

And you did not get an adequate education. Your comprehension skills are sadly lacking and indIcates a dyslexic approach along with problematic and erroneous thought(if u can call.it that) patterns.

T-Boon

Coach

It is known as touch footy or just touch to everyone in australia. We could call it Touchball.

Pommy

Coach
And you did not get an adequate education. Your comprehension skills are sadly lacking and indIcates a dyslexic approach along with problematic and erroneous thought(if u can call.it that) patterns.

Problematic and erroneous thought patterns?

Do we all have to conform now?

Stallion

First Grade
It is known as touch footy or just touch to everyone in australia.

Try respecting Australian vernacular PR. It also might do you some good to understand how significant iconic and longstanding clubs are respected in Australia as well.

Latest posts