What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

horrie hastings

First Grade
images

Truly one of the better Horror movies, I picked it up yesterday in Kmart for $4 still a great watch.

Picked it up on Blu Ray for $10, it can replace the crappy region 1 copy I bought many many years ago.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Kill 'Em All

Great premise, but very poorly written.

The action sequences are pretty shit, too.

The girl baddie is smoking hot, though.

vvvrulz

Coach
Avengers Infinity War - 8.5/10 (spoiler free)

I'm a huge Marvel sceptic; while some are genuinely good, most are lazy, derivative and overrated. I was expecting more of the same here, but this time they've got it.

IW rips along despite it's screen time; successfully juggling it's ridiculous roster, sliding it's tone between dark and humorous without overplaying either, and developing Thanos to the point where he's MCUs most believable (and even sympathetic) villain so far. Loki came close, but just about every other villain was poor and none were as formidable, the Avengers get their asses handed to them all right.

The plot is simple but tight, and importantly the movie never strays from it. All the key players get just enough screen time (or nod) so you don't feel like anyone important got shafted. Character actions actually make sense and progress logically, and there's plenty of entertaining clashes driving the humour and keeping it unforced. These are things the first Avengers got right but failed miserably in Ultron and Civil War.

The visuals and action set pieces are, as usual, excellent; a Marvel staple. This is largely thanks to Thanos's goons who refreshingly aren't just fodder, plus the fights don't go on forever and there's enough new tricks up the superheroes sleeves to keep it engaging. There's plenty of work put into creative landscapes and settings, keeping on and off Earth just long enough to not get lost in either.

The much talked about climax is a very refreshing change from the usual cliches, one just hopes the follow up is brave enough to stay away from cop outs.

In short: this one's worth it.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Netflix binge over the weekend

10 Cloverfield Lane - not a bad movie, John Goodman has actually turned into a fantastic actor he carries this film. Weird that it didn’t really have anything to do with Cloverfield, more of a spin-off then a sequel.

The Cloverfield Paradox - well if I thought the previous had little to do with the original this had absolute zilch.. and it was a turd of a movie overall

The Ritual - Wow best horror I’ve seen for a while, great story, great character development, definitely recommended.

vvvrulz

Coach
Suicide Squad 5/10 - My glowing Avengers IW review might have had something do with watching this debacle the night before. I expected nothing and got nothing, this is an A-Z of how not to do a comic book movie, playing out like a long string of pretty trailers instead of an actual film. Nothing works: the generic origin-story plot has no imagination, no characters are developed, the villain is uninteresting.

One of the major problems is the tone, it's just all over the show - refusing to decide if it is a dark goofball comedy or a tragic anti-hero drama. It dances between the two every couple of minutes, horrible pop songs interlaced everywhere don't help at all. I can see what it was aiming for, but it badly needed to commit one way or the other.

The other is the performances; Will Smith (barely containing his Will Smithyness) & Margot Robbie can only mug and ham as they simultaneously somehow get too much screen time and not enough character depth. Leto is a catastrophe, on par with the new Lex Luther, but in his defence he was on a hiding to nothing sitting in Ledgers shadow and again nowhere near enough writing. Three capable actors trapped in a mess. Everyone else gets shafted; only Joel Kinnaman survives with dignity.

Anything good? Well it's beautifully shot, some great effects here and there. That's it.

Watch strictly for kicks only.

Life's Good

Coach
The Godfather - ‘Don’t ever speak against the family’.
The ambush of Sonny at the toll booth is just a classic scene.
This movie never gets old.

axl rose

Bench
Avengers: Infinity War. Have only seen a handful of Marvel movies but did find it reasonably accessible to the non obsessives. Interesting villain and the Guardians of the Galaxy got much more time than I thought they would. A-

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Watched Thor Ragnarok because apparently it was imperative I do so before I watch Infinity War over the weekend....did so even against my better judgement based on the fact I thought the first 2 were utter cat puke.

Well, I probably would have enjoyed it if I was still 13 years old.

Apparently every Marvel Movie has to be a lame comedy now.. honestly I felt like I was watching GOTG 3, I kept waiting for Mark Ruffalo to turn into Bautista

Maybe I’m just getting old and lame but these movies are just doing nothing for me anymore. Hoping Infinity War can save my soul.

vvvrulz

Coach
Bullet Head 7.5/10 - Nice little crime drama which despite it's terrible IMDB rating is worth watching. It's got a Reservoir Dogs type set up, set entirely in a dodgy warehouse, but then stands on it's own legs as a character-driven suspense piece as the shady characters are pit against each other with a surprise player in the midst. Solid cast, some genuinely good dialogue, Adrian Brody & John Malkovich are in top form. Something different from the norm.

The Frozen Ground 7/10 - By the numbers serial killer flick, but held up by the terrific acting and the fact that it's largely a true story. Competently shot and directed. Bit of a Con-Air reunion: the washed up Cage reminds us he still knows how to play it straight while the underused John Cusack is as unsettling as ever.

Central Intelligence 6/5/10 - Exactly what you'd expect: it's dumb without getting too dumb and The Rock & Kevin Hart play off each other nicely. Easy & light way to pass an evening.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Jigsaw- bit of a twist on the standard twist but meh

The foreigner - decent. Weird seeing Jackie chan in actual realistic fight scenes with no comedic element to them

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
12 strong

Good as it didn’t need to be heavily americanised. The story is real and that insane.

vvvrulz

Coach
The Captive - 7/10. Another one with a strangely low IMDB score (5.9); this is an unsettling and dreary child abduction drama focused on the realistic, slow-burning frustration taking place over years. What works is the decision to go non-linear, so you immediately know the obvious answer and are instead focused on character reactions rather than waiting for a Jason Statham to go and kick the doors down. The part that hits home is that this sort of stuff exists out there and can happen so easily.

Similar to Prisoners in a few ways.

Performances are solid, wisely none of the cast tries to hog the limelight. Only minor complaints are various little pandora boxes get opened and never looked at again, and the ending seems slightly safe and neat.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
We are the flesh

Wtf is happening.... full screen penis.....wtf is happening....full screen vagina....wtf is happening....even bigger wtf ending

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I think the following films are ones for movie buffs who like being entertained not to miss:

I Tonya - very much worth watching. Quite an entertaining take on Tonya Harding.

3 Billboards - well worth a watch. Will not disappoint.

Dunkirk was visually excellent. Lots of eye candy.

Get Out - lives up to the hype and exceeded my expectations. Good film even knowing the spoilers in advance.

American Made - yeah it is Tom Cruise, but has a very strong story line and very entertaining.

For those with Netflix - In Bruges is back on show - excellent comedy film that is aging well and references to it often appear in pop culture.

And while missable - anyone who likes off beat intelligent comedies, "Wilson" starring Woody Harrelson is a diamond in the rough with plenty of social commentary explored, and a must see for Woody Harrelson fans, such as myself.

For those who like more serious story telling:

Red Sparrow - strong film all round.

Roman J esq, strong tale and cast. Bit light on some of the writing, but a good film nevertheless.

The Founder - Michael Keaton weaves his magic in a film about how the star makes McDonald's the business it is today. True story. Well told.

The Post - Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, get the job done well. Strong political issues and decision dilemmas discussed. But it could easily disappoint many not into that type of thing.

Molly's Game - a true story so entertaining it could be in the previous section. Good film.

Silly fun films that you can totally miss; but won't disappoint if you watch with low expectations

Pacific Rim 2 - no real plot, but enough special effects to keep you awake.

Black Panther - same as the above. Only Marvel film I am looking forward to is Dead Pool 2 for the script writing - but I still watch most of them.

I think the films below are Overrated - but they're visually excellent films (Well I assume the Last Jedi is).

I was disappointed by Blade Runner 2049, but that's probably just me. I can see what people liked about it, and it starts very strong. But it moved along a bit too slowly for me, possibly as it is a sci fi, and after being over halfway through it I stopped paying much attention to it. (Which is better than the Last Jedi which I fell asleep to early in). I thought the recent Aliens film was a disapointment after Prometheus as well.

And I thought Shape of Water was a poor story, saved by some good acting, some good scripting, and a big production budget that made the silly story worth watching. But all those Oscar nominations? Really?

But seeing these films have widely been rated well - I suggest people decide for themselves. And I really owe it to the Last Jedi to try and watch it again earlier in the evening.

Thought the third Planet of Apes film in the recent trilogy fell short of the first 2 films where the second film peaked for the franchise. But well worth watching for fans of the first 2 films. My disapointment is that the second film was simply outstanding imo. Its just not as sociologically engaging as the first - let alone second film - despite Harrellson trying very well to get the film there. He's all on his own in this regard and not in enough scenes. I guess you can only beat so much out of a storyline starring a chimpanzee before it goes stale.

Last edited: