What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of Fame nominations

Wizardman

First Grade
Most of the picks I could agree with tonight. One that absolutely dumbfounded me was Royce Simmons.

Im sure Royce is a great bloke and he'd be great to have a beer with. But, how in f**k he gets in the cue ahead of hookers like Ben Elias or Steve Walters confuses me bigtime.

Wizardman

First Grade

TheFrog

Coach
Im sure Royce is a great bloke and he'd be great to have a beer with. But, how in f**k he gets in the cue ahead of hookers like Ben Elias or Steve Walters confuses me bigtime.
He was more than the equal of them both. By the way Steve Walters is already a member of the HoF. Royce won't make the cut anyway. The HoF seems to be comprised primarily of players who were champions surrounded by other champions in champion teams. Royce was a champion surrounded by plodders until his last couple of seasons. This might go against Brandy as well. For this reason I expect Ricky Stuart to make it, but he does deserve to, he did more for the great Canberra sides than anyone.

I'd have Stuart and Alexander for sure, possibly Buderis and Cliff Lyons and maybe Steve Renouf. But they will pick one of the pre-1970 players, none of whom I've seen.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
Would love to see Buderus or Harragon choosen. They were not just great players but really likeable who I believe played and behaved with great dignity and loyalty. Stuart also deserves some recognition. How he wasn’t included in the top 100 in 2008 defies my belief.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Nominees:
Bob Lindner, Cliff Lyons, Craig Young, Danny Buderus, Denis Flannery, Elwyn Walters, Gorden Tallis, Greg Alexander, Ian Moir, Jack Watkins, Kevin Walters, Mark Graham, Michael O’Connor, Paul Harragon, Peter Dimond, Petero Civoniceva, Ricky Stuart, Rod Reddy, Ron Lynch, Royce Simmons, Ruben Wiki, Stacey Jones, Steve Menzies, Steve Renouf, Wally O’Connell.

Love to see Stacey Jones make it in.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Hard job and no matter what you do it could be regarded as wrong.

Is this just an Aussie thing? Only reason I ask is there were some well deserved Kiwis in the list but all played in Aust I thought?

Jones and Wiki deserve a mention for sure. Guys like Mal Reilly, Ellery Hanley and Morley were surprise omissions particularly given some of the names put forward.

But as said, no group can ever agree on such a list.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Hard job and no matter what you do it could be regarded as wrong.

Is this just an Aussie thing? Only reason I ask is there were some well deserved Kiwis in the list but all played in Aust I thought?

Jones and Wiki deserve a mention for sure. Guys like Mal Reilly, Ellery Hanley and Morley were surprise omissions particularly given some of the names put forward.

But as said, no group can ever agree on such a list.

Ruben Wiki played a lot of his career in NZ, Warriors, Leopards, Auckland, Kiwis. Sure he has a decade at Canberra but I'm pretty sure the only major selection criteria is that you played in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Ruben Wiki played a lot of his career in NZ, Warriors, Leopards, Auckland, Kiwis. Sure he has a decade at Canberra but I'm pretty sure the only major selection criteria is that you played in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL.

Ok, thanks. Still surprised a few were selected over the above. Then think Gavin Miller, Ian Roberts, Les Davidson and others were hard done by.

Seems like u need to work in the media ir be their mate to make it....

mongoose

Coach
Stuart has to be one. He didn't have the longevity of other great halves (langer, fitler, Johns) but at his best he totally dominated. He also had a winning record with the blues being in the 90, 92-94 teams.

typicalfan

Coach
6 out of that list is difficult.

Stuart, Tallis, Pearl, Beaver probably deserve it. The other two spots will be difficult.

Iafeta

Referee
Looking at the current inductees

Billy Slater was used as a photo double for Vic Armbuster

Roy Bull must be Darren Lockyers dad

And I never realised his disturbingly similar a young Robert Fulton looked compared to Geoff Toovey

I’d like to see Wiki go in as a Kiwi. Great player, but his longevity in the Kiwis jumper was amazing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d go 3 forwards 3 backs. Forwards never get the recognition they deserve.

Stuart, jones, renouf
Wiki, Tallis, Harragon