What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 9 vs Warriors @ Mt Smart Stadium

Who will win? Round 9: Warriors v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2018 - Round 9
Warriors v Wests Tigers
Mt Smart Stadium, Penrose (TICKETS)
Saturday 5 May 2018

(times AEST) Gates TBC / NRL 5:30pm

(times NZT) Gates TBC / NRL 7:30pm

TL-WAR18.png

1. Roger Tuivasa-sheck 2. David Fusitua 3. Peta Hiku 4. Solomone Kata 5. Ken Maumalo 6. Blake Green 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Bunty Afoa 9. Issac Luke 10. Agnatius Paasi 11. Simon Mannering 12. Tohu Harris 13. Adam Blair
Interchange: 14. Karl Lawton 15. Sam Lisone 16. Isaiah Papalii 17. James Gavet 18. Anthony Gelling 20. Mason Lino 21. Albert Vete 22. Sam Cook

TL-WST18.png

1. Corey Thompson 2. David Nofoaluma 3. Esan Marsters 4. Kevin Naiqama 5. Mahe Fonua 6. Benji Marshall 7. Luke Brooks 8. Matt Eisenhuth 9. Pita Godinet 10. Ben Matulino 11. Chris Lawrence 12. Robert Rochow 13. Elijah Taylor
Interchange: 14. Alex Twal 15. Josh Aloiai 16. Michael Chee Kam 17. Sauaso Sue 18. Tim Grant 19. Matt McIlwrick 20. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak 21. Tyson Gamble

REF-YELLOW-1000px_1.jpg

Referees: Ben Cummins, Grant Atkins
Sideline Officials: Chris McMillan, Phil Henderson
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Luke Patten

Feeder team matches
WARRIORS (NSWRL) & WESTS TIGERS (NSWRL - Wests Magpies)
SAT
Mounties (CAN) v Warriors @ GIO Stadium, ISP 12:45pm
SUN
Dragons v Wests Magpies @ Jubilee Oval, ISP 11:45am
Flegg - all clubs BYE​

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigerm

First Grade
Fox sport is saying Liddle is not in the team list?

Tigers: 1 Corey Thompson, 2 David Nofoaluma, 3 Esan Marsters, 4 Kevin Naiqama, 5 Mahe Fonua, 6 Benji Marshall (c), 7 Luke Brooks, 8 Matthew Eisenhuth, 9 Pita Godinet, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Chris Lawrence, 12 Robbie Rochow, 13 Elijah Taylor Interchange: 14 Alex Twal, 15 Josh Aloiai, 16 Michael Chee-Kam, 17 Sauaso Sue Reserves: 18 Tim Grant, 19 Matt McIlwrick, 20 Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, 21 Tyson Gamble

Still think we will bounce back by 12 with Marsters MOM.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Good to see the slug mwz not in the 17.

It’s obvious that Liddle carried an injury into parra game & shouldn’t have played.

Tiger05

First Grade
Good to see the slug mwz not in the 17.

It’s obvious that Liddle carried an injury into parra game & shouldn’t have played.

I don't think MWZ is a slug but Fonua gives us a massive lift. I really like him and Nofo on both wings.

The team is pretty good. Liddle out is a big loss but he was really poor last week especially defensively. Personally I would drop Rochow and play ET on the right hand side. I'd put Eisenhuth at lock and have play Sue and Grant as props.

This is a tough game and we need to turn up.

Clifferd

Coach
Liddle carried a sternum injury from the Knights game, also Packer has been running freely and in contact sessions so I’ve heard, would be playing if this game was in Sydney but better not to be risked

Weirdly Grant was our best forward v Parra. Must be contract time

Last edited:

Vozzy

Juniors
I like Fonua but I think he is so risky can see him costing us a game with a dumb pass he is good at hitting it up but just think he is a brain explosion waiting to happen we just need to use him right. One of his offloads on the weekend was a flick pass in our own ten yes it hit the mark but even if MWZ doesn't set the world on fire I feel more safe with him for some reason.

I know we have lost the last 2 games against opposition that we should have beaten considering we beat Melbourne but I think Parra and the Knights played better against us then Melbourne or the Roosters did. We are that team this year that will be in a close game every week probably win/lose 50% but it's the clubs going in the right direction. We could play parra and knights again and the scoreline would be the opposite it's just where we are at this stage.

Our attack has improved but at the same time our mistakes have increased compared to the first 4 weeks since the second half of the Manly game. Just need to balance control and attacking football and they will be hard to beat.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Warriors fans saying It’s the best side they’ve had in paper in years with all the guys coming back

Nathan Cleary announcing today he’s going to be back early in round 11 against us

I swear every fcking star player comes back against us

FFS watch Andrew Johns come out of retirement to play us alongside Mitchell Pearce in the return Knights game

Tiger Ted

Bench
Liddle carried a sternum injury from the Knights game, also Packer has been running freely and in contact sessions so I’ve heard, would be playing if this game was in Sydney but better not to be risked

Weirdly Grant was our best forward v Parra. Must be contract time
I was shocked by Grants carries it was so unlike the usually meek carries we’d become accustomed to.No doubt it’s contract time !

Tiger Ted

Bench
Warriors fans saying It’s the best side they’ve had in paper in years with all the guys coming back

Nathan Cleary announcing today he’s going to be back early in round 11 against us

I swear every fcking star player comes back against us

FFS watch Andrew Johns come out of retirement to play us alongside Mitchell Pearce in the return Knights game
Injured stars of opposition teams have a tendency of returning early whereas with us it’s the opposite.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I like Fonua but I think he is so risky can see him costing us a game with a dumb pass he is good at hitting it up but just think he is a brain explosion waiting to happen we just need to use him right. One of his offloads on the weekend was a flick pass in our own ten yes it hit the mark but even if MWZ doesn't set the world on fire I feel more safe with him for some reason.

I know we have lost the last 2 games against opposition that we should have beaten considering we beat Melbourne but I think Parra and the Knights played better against us then Melbourne or the Roosters did. We are that team this year that will be in a close game every week probably win/lose 50% but it's the clubs going in the right direction. We could play parra and knights again and the scoreline would be the opposite it's just where we are at this stage.

Our attack has improved but at the same time our mistakes have increased compared to the first 4 weeks since the second half of the Manly game. Just need to balance control and attacking football and they will be hard to beat.
I think it’s more that we were ordinary than the knights & especially the eels playing better than the rorters & storm.

We were that bad in all facets of the game that we handed parra that win on a silver platter.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I don't think MWZ is a slug but Fonua gives us a massive lift. I really like him and Nofo on both wings.

The team is pretty good. Liddle out is a big loss but he was really poor last week especially defensively. Personally I would drop Rochow and play ET on the right hand side. I'd put Eisenhuth at lock and have play Sue and Grant as props.

This is a tough game and we need to turn up.
Yep Eisenhuth is best suited to us at 13.Im not a rochow fan & geez he was ordinary against parra.Im surprised that McQueen isn’t getting a look in although I haven’t watched much isp so assume he might not b setting the world on fire albeit fully fit he has to b a better option than rochow.

Clifferd

Coach
I think it’s more that we were ordinary than the knights & especially the eels playing better than the rorters & storm.

We were that bad in all facets of the game that we handed parra that win on a silver platter.

Well below our best yet only lost by 2 points to both teams, I can live with that

Does anyone else think Marshall is struggling playing 80 mins week to week? When we needed a cool head to just boot the ball over the sideline, I thought Marshall would’ve taken control the last couple weeks but he didn’t, instead came up with a few brain dead options. But then again, I guess that’s Brooksys responsibility aswell

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm not sure if Marshall is struggling playing 80 minutes. He seems to be taking some bad options though. Still I think that might be a bit harsh on him as well. He has been very good. We haven't lost the past two games because of Benji.

Clifferd

Coach
I don’t think his overall game has gone bad, but his kicking game that won us games against Melb x2 and Roosters has disappeared. Pretty sure he kicked 3 terrible kicks on the 3rd tackle 1 even gifting Parra a try

The last two games we have let in 9 tries while scoring 6,which makes me think that opposing teams attacks have started to gel,plus they are aware of our defence structures.
While we are not the greatest attacking team we really need to limit handling errors and control the ball better to tire the opposition for when they have a chance to attack,which was something we did well in the early rounds.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The last two games we have let in 9 tries while scoring 6,which makes me think that opposing teams attacks have started to gel,plus they are aware of our defence structures.
While we are not the greatest attacking team we really need to limit handling errors and control the ball better to tire the opposition for when they have a chance to attack,which was something we did well in the early rounds.

We haven’t controlled the ruck the last 2 games which means teams have been getting quicker play the balls and shifting it wide whilst we’re retreating

Packer, ET and Twal are our 3 best defenders. We get 2 back this week which will help

Clifferd

Coach

Just saw this comment but IC pretty much said the exact same thing in the post game conference. “Parra didn’t win, we handed it to them”

When Marshall scored our last try we should have gone on with it, instead we drop the ball off the kick off and continue to derp it up for the rest of the match

Latest posts