What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Optus snatches English Premier League rights from Fox Sports in Australia

Pommy

Coach
I just got a new Apple TV which allows installable apps unlike the older models.

I’m a very big fan of optus sport in this configuration rather than streaming to my phone and then air playing it to the TV.

I have found myself watching a lot more highlights and managers interviews.
I also haven’t had any streaming issues with this box, were not even on NBN yet.

Lambretta

First Grade
http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/plans?bt=FBB&tl=FTEL

The issue is not Optus having the rights it's the way they have hidden it behind their non-related products and treating the internet as a pay-tv delivery service rather than what it is. If someone could create an account online (without needing an unrelated product) and watch on their Apple TV etc..for $20-25 a month there would not be an issue.

Optus now gives you unlimited internet downloads, and a free Fetch Mighty box for $80 a month
They give you ALL their channels including free Premier League on top of this for $20 extra

As you can now package Foxtel in little bundles, you can take the Sports package for $40 and job done

Personally, I didn't do this - I have taken 2,000 gigs from Telstra on downloads and have taken Fox in bundles which I can add and drop as I see fit. We have a Fetch box, so I can add Premier League to that if I decide to drop Foxtel bundles, but at the moment I am trying to reduce expenses not increase them

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
I took the Premier League through Optus last year as it was free with my phone
I put the app on an Ipad and used Apple TV to get it to the television. Convoluted and I needed a password to use it

When I watched a game, fast forwarding and rewinding was cumbersome, clunky and awkward at best - completely painful really. I watched ONE game ALL SEASON.

When they introduced a $15 a month fee - I dropped it straight away

Now I have a Fetch Mighty box, I can access the Premier League as if it's a normal channel which enhances the viewing experience. But I'm not paying the $15 a month. I will just record the FTA games off SBS and watch those.

Lambretta

First Grade
I only had access for the last 2 months of the season and have to say I was impressed with the quality I got through my phone.

Clear picture with no lagging and access to every game was great, after initially Thinking Optus would stuff it up, I can't really fault them.

I won't watch television on a phone, or an ipad or a postage stamp or a pillow or the boot of a car
I am a bit weird, I prefer to watch television on a television. I think it's being an old fart that does it

Doing it through Apple TV was the worst viewing experience I had ever had.
I am willing to think about it in the future now I have a lovely Fetch Mighty. But on streaming the fast forwarding isn't in real time. It's hold............. jump........ see where you are.......... no that's wrong, back....... where are we now? ......... no that's wrong,........... hold again........... oops too far........ try again
Better than Apple TV, but not like normal recordings or Foxtel.

Pommy

Coach
Still have to buy an Optus product (internet or mobile) to access the premier league broadcasts.

Cant you just pay $15 a month and use another internet provider?
I get it free with my phone but it works perfect on my Apple TV through Telstra.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Cant you just pay $15 a month and use another internet provider?
I get it free with my phone but it works perfect on my Apple TV through Telstra.

You need to buy an internet or mobile phone plan to gain access to the optus sport service. Once you have access to optus sport then yes you can use any ISP.

I don’t want to use optus mobile or internet ever again after my experiences with them in the past.

ggmu

Juniors
Just got rid of my Optus mobile plan so I figured I was saying goodbye to watching live games. But I guess I will sign up even though I don’t really want to pay per month to watch epl.

Wish they had an app on all smart tvs.

Mong

Post Whore
Excellent. Am happy AF it hasn't gone back to foxtel.

Hopefully the monthly subscription they offer to others is better than the NRL live pass rubbish we get for being with telstra.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Just got rid of my Optus mobile plan so I figured I was saying goodbye to watching live games. But I guess I will sign up even though I don’t really want to pay per month to watch epl.

I've managed to download a few aps on my smart TV that are supposedly only available through Google play store.

Just did a google search and it gave the option to download the ap or the program

Pommy

Coach

I’m not sure if there are other TV boxes with apps but the app works brilliant on the Apple TV.
I have a 4K Samsung TV and I can’t stand the ‘smart’ functions the Apple TV is such an improvement in my opinion.

hellteam

First Grade
Definitely happy Optus is hanging on to Premier League.

I have the Foxtel Now box to watch NRL... quality is often choppy and stutters occasionally. Very annoying (anyone else have this isssue?) I have NBN.

The Optus fetch box works perfectly. Can't even tell it's streaming. Great product

ggmu

Juniors
Anybody watch on the tv with chromecast? I know next to nothing about it. But seems like the way to go to watch on the tv. But just wondering if it still works casting from iPhone to the Samsung tv. Also does anybody cast the beIN sports app to the tv with an iPhone or iPad? Web site says you can but it only mentions casting from android devices.

Pommy

Coach
Anyone else having issues trying to watch the Egypt Uraguay game?
First time Optus has missed a beat for me.

Latest posts