What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your 2018 rookies of the year...

The_Shield

Juniors
No chance, he'll go well but to get rookie of year he needs to play similar number of games as cotric and brailey this season. Won't be happening unless Smith does an ACL... So I hope you're right :p
He does play lock as well. Can see him taking that utility role on the bench that Griffin was playing

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Parra have picked up a young bloke in the off season named Jarryd Hayne, apparently has talent to burn but with a suss attitude.

One for your little black books for sure.

BennyV

Referee
No Dragons will get a chance to make a run for ROTY. Mary would prefer to play a slow, aging Nightingale, Lafai on one leg or a completely tunnel-visioned Aitken before playing a promising youngster.

IF the impossible would happen, Pat Herbert looks like a very good centre in the making and TBH would be my pick for right centre in Round 1. Reuben Garrick might make a fist of a wing spot. And Zac Lomax is the pick of the bunch, although he's still very young, but quick, strong, powerful centre.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
No Dragons will get a chance to make a run for ROTY. Mary would prefer to play a slow, aging Nightingale, Lafai on one leg or a completely tunnel-visioned Aitken before playing a promising youngster.

IF the impossible would happen, Pat Herbert looks like a very good centre in the making and TBH would be my pick for right centre in Round 1. Reuben Garrick might make a fist of a wing spot. And Zac Lomax is the pick of the bunch, although he's still very young, but quick, strong, powerful centre.

jai field has only played 3 games so he's still eligible. if widdop goes to FB and kurt mann sucks like he's expected to, there's a very good chance field gets to start the remainder of the season. mary already said he intends on playing field as a utility at least. i think mary has a woody on him because he knows his old man.

BennyV

Referee
jai field has only played 3 games so he's still eligible. if widdop goes to FB and kurt mann sucks like he's expected to, there's a very good chance field gets to start the remainder of the season. mary already said he intends on playing field as a utility at least. i think mary has a woody on him because he knows his old man.
Mary knows his dad? That makes some sense - Mary is far more likely to pick players on family connection than on actual ability (see Jake Marketo's continual selection throughout 2015-2016). One of many, many reasons that sane-minded Dragons fans want him gone ASAP.

Field has a long way to go. He's put on 13kgs since start of last season and still sits around 84kgs, and expected to lose some of that in pre-season. He's quick and has a decent passing game but I think he'll be easily shut down in first grade, even moreso because his defense is horrid and he'll be heavily targeted. I hope he makes it, but with Widdop and Hunt signed long term, Dufty getting the jump by having a decent 8 games at the end of 2017 and Mann signed for the next 2 years (not sure what you've watched but he played very well for us as a 5/8 and would make a good fullback if given a chance) I can't see Field getting a real go.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Mary knows his dad? That makes some sense - Mary is far more likely to pick players on family connection than on actual ability (see Jake Marketo's continual selection throughout 2015-2016). One of many, many reasons that sane-minded Dragons fans want him gone ASAP.

Field has a long way to go. He's put on 13kgs since start of last season and still sits around 84kgs, and expected to lose some of that in pre-season. He's quick and has a decent passing game but I think he'll be easily shut down in first grade, even moreso because his defense is horrid and he'll be heavily targeted. I hope he makes it, but with Widdop and Hunt signed long term, Dufty getting the jump by having a decent 8 games at the end of 2017 and Mann signed for the next 2 years (not sure what you've watched but he played very well for us as a 5/8 and would make a good fullback if given a chance) I can't see Field getting a real go.

upload_2017-12-8_18-23-6.png

from what i've seen of mann, he's a strong runner who's undersized. abit in the shaun berrigan mould, which is why he's needed more space out wider to use his attributes one on one. he hasn't got enough ball playing burst or footwork for 5/8th.

i like dufty so it's another reason why widdop might stay at 6, but dufty doesn't qualify for roty

BennyV

Referee
View attachment 16707

from what i've seen of mann, he's a strong runner who's undersized. abit in the shaun berrigan mould, which is why he's needed more space out wider to use his attributes one on one. he hasn't got enough ball playing burst or footwork for 5/8th.

i like dufty so it's another reason why widdop might stay at 6, but dufty doesn't qualify for roty
INteresting to know re: Mary and Field! Definitely explains Mary's love of the kid. IMO, Dufty is the superior player.

As for Mann - well, agree to disagree, but IMO his footwork (agility) and ball skills are the top aspects of his game. When he filled in at 5/8 for Widdop this year he was super dangerous every time he had the ball and created loads of space to then set up his outside men.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Parra have picked up a young bloke in the off season named Jarryd Hayne, apparently has talent to burn but with a suss attitude.

One for your little black books for sure.

Colt with plenty of talent, might need to be gelded though to reach his full potential

typicalfan

Coach
Adam Doueihi
Jeremy Marshall-King
Jesse Ramien
Phillip Sami
Jack Hetherington
Victor Radley

Not many to pick from. Maybe Doueihi if he gets more opportunities. If not maybe Sami

mxlegend99

Referee
Panthers rookies are:

Christian Crichton
Kaide Ellis - 1 game so far
Jack Hetherington - 2 games so far
Wade Egan - a few games. But less than 80 minutes total

Honestly dont recall a year so slim on rookies for us. Egan will be the best of that group but he wont get a big enough run this year to be a threat.

The_Shield

Juniors
Brandon Smith is surely the leading contender so far. Has been outstanding when given a chance, particularly his defence has been great.

BennyV

Referee
I'd put Ramien at the top thus far.

Agree that Doueihi could take it out if he gets more game time. Plus his name is slightly superior.