What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad News about legendary forumer

The Partisan

Yes read the article last week and was saddened by the news. Have never met Mike but exchanged a lot of thread thoughts and messages with him in the past. An ornament to QRL history.

That’s very sad news as I’ve met Mick many times over the years. A vast knowledge and passion ( esp his beloved Wests Panthers) for Brisbane and Queensland rugby league.

Brutus

Referee
Read the tributes on the QRL site and this is very sad.

Queensland footy will be much poorer for his passing. Mike's knowledge and passion for the game's history was priceless.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Very sad to hear this news. I am happy that I met Mud several times over the years and shared some games and special events. Rugby league is poorer without him. He was stalwart of the game over many online platforms for a very long time. We must continue to focus on the history and tradition of the BRL and Queensland footy.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
XXXX Cap, do you know why Mud became a Wests fan when he was a Carina junior and went to Coorparoo SH?

Anyway, very sad news. He has been a great caller on Livestream and other platforms, and a passionate historian. There is always hope and I hope he and his family fight hard. Good luck to them all.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Desert, I'm not sure about the Wests connection, I think perhaps his father was a Wests man.

As you may have picked from some of the comments above, the news got worse this week with Mud's passing as mentioned in this article from the QRL site :

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/05/03/memories-of-mike-higgison-1967-2018/

In short, the details are as follows :

Mike Higginson's funeral will be held 11am on Tuesday, May 8 at Pinnaroo Cemetery and Crematorium, 285 Graham Road, Bridgeman Downs. Mike made special request for attendees to wear their favourite football jerseys, particularly those of the Wests Panthers and Piranhas touch football team. A wake will be held following the ceremony at Albany Creek Tavern.

A minute's silence will be observed for Mike before all Wests games this weekend, including at the Wests Old Boys Reunion at Purtell Park, Bardon on Saturday from 1.30pm.

A Mud classic with the jerseys request. I always remember him at the Redcliffe v Ipswich Grand Final, turning up in a Wests jersey. Bit like the the old Monty Python skit on how to irritate people - one way was to go to a football match and cheer for a team that wasn't playing!

My sons and I have adopted one of his catchphrases from the BayFM calls whenever we offer an opinion about something - Mike always started with "I tell you what Troy,...........".

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
RIP to Mike...certainly had some fine and fiery at times conversations with the big fella. He had the local game at heart that's forsure.

I haven't been in this forum for years...good to see some familiar names still here from all those years ago!

Latest posts