What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Townsend for NSW?

ghoti

Bench
First, I know he's not quite ready and it's not our interests for him to be in contention...but what kinda conspiracy is keeping him outside of football 'experts' speculated teams?

He just keeps stringing together good to (last night) great games. Gets repeat sets, slick kicking game, his running game has been up there for years and seems to be organising well when his pack gives him the space to do so.

It's insane to me that Nathan Cleary was favourite for the 7 but hasn't really done much that I've seen, that Jack Bird was in contention (does nothing), even Moylan was suggested as an option and Townsend outplays him every week. With such low half stocks for the Blues, why is Townsend literally NEVER mentioned?

I know some of you guys here don't like him, but he keeps going up another level and I reckon his best is still ahead of him. Is there a reason the commentary knobs don't mention him as a NSW option, but are willing to talk about nobody youths with no track records?

Card Shark

Immortal
The reason is the press have their favourites & flog off over them.

I’m not sure chad would handle it...but then again, who would.

Can’t pick Cleary, played no football at all.

Griffoshark66

First Grade
He has been better the last 3 weeks. Very good last night. Some of his decisions last week were terrible. We had genuine scoring opportunities and he decided to kick it over the sideline. My guess is Maloney will play halfback and they'll find a 6 to partner him.

Wozza

Juniors
First, I know he's not quite ready and it's not our interests for him to be in contention...but what kinda conspiracy is keeping him outside of football 'experts' speculated teams?

He just keeps stringing together good to (last night) great games. Gets repeat sets, slick kicking game, his running game has been up there for years and seems to be organising well when his pack gives him the space to do so.

It's insane to me that Nathan Cleary was favourite for the 7 but hasn't really done much that I've seen, that Jack Bird was in contention (does nothing), even Moylan was suggested as an option and Townsend outplays him every week. With such low half stocks for the Blues, why is Townsend literally NEVER mentioned?

I know some of you guys here don't like him, but he keeps going up another level and I reckon his best is still ahead of him. Is there a reason the commentary knobs don't mention him as a NSW option, but are willing to talk about nobody youths with no track records?
He's not getting mentioned because his game isn't up to it, plain and simple.
He misses far too many tackles (worst tackler in the team) and although he did some running last night it's a rarity.
He still needs work on his kicking game as well selecting the right kick for the situation.
I don't hate the guy but won't buy into bullshit about how good he is until he starts to prove it on the field.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Wozza said:
I don't hate the guy but won't buy into bullshit about how good he is until he starts to prove it on the field.
2016 won the whole damn thing...means nothing apparently.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I cant see him being selected due to

1) The “Darling” syndrome as mentioned
2) The Sharks form and having to play next to an anchor
3) His reasonably short long kicking game

However, Fittler has consistently chosen him in City teams. Freddie like Chad. Coif is the Rocksteady of NRL turtles. The only time NSW has won in recent memory was with a similar style half, Hokko. Chad would play the plan and game given him.

So, while I cant see it I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he was named.

I do expect Fittler to do things differently though.

Half is not the problem for me. 6 is the issue. Talk is they want Jimmy in 7 so he touched the ball more. Means they will struggle to find an inform 6. FFS people even mentioning TPP as 6.

Jimmy was never starved of possession at 6 with the Sharks was he?

I actually wouldnt be surprised if Chad’s recent rich vein of form is due to some encouraging words from Freddie.

jc155776

Coach
Chad was playing for an Origin audition last night. Seemed like he’s been told he’s in the mix.

With Cleary and Myth Oearce injures who else can play? Cody walker is a qlder isn’t he?

Two more performances like that he’ll be picked. And would deserve it as well.

Maloney and Chad work very well together, that could be what gets him over the line.
Frenz, as you mentioned Hodskodhddht (Coifey) being a winning half for NSW, in fairness the only time Maloney and Moylan combined they too did win.