What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

tripster

Juniors
http://www.catalansdragons.com/en/articles-9/168-5922-luke-walsh-forced-to-retire/

LUKE WALSH FORCED TO RETIRE

Luke Walsh sustained a significant ankle injury during the game at Hull KR in February that has prevented him from playing any rugby league and due to the injury has been unable to recover.

He has concurred with the opinion of multiple medical practitioners and has been forced to retire from his professional career.

Walsh, 30, arrived at the club last year and has been a key player of the 2017 season. He made 29 appearances, scoring 204 points (2 tries, 96 goals and 4 drop goals), with a 85% goal kicking percentage.

He previously played 140 NRL games with Newcastle and Penrith before joining Super League and Saints in 2014 where he scored 460 points in 63 appearances.

Luke Wash said: “I would like to thank the club for the support since I arrived, obviously the fans as well, all the players, I have made some good friends here and the coaching staff, especially Laurent Frayssinous who recruited me to the club. I wish all the best to the boys for the rest of the year and for the future of the club.”

Steve McNamara: “It’s always sad when a player has to retire early due to injury, Luke has tried everything possible to get himself into a position to play again but unfortunately that can’t happen. His commitment and contribution to the Dragons is something we as a club really appreciate.”

Club CEO Christophe Jouffret: “Walshy has been a great player for our club who always produced brilliant and consistent performances. His capacity to organize, his kicking game and his professionalism both on and off the field were second to none.”

Must have been a damn serious ankle injury. What an unfortunate event for the guy. He probably could have gone on for 10 more years in Super League otherwise.

Kilkenny

Coach
Watching Bryce Cartwright during the Gold Coast v Sharks game was a painful experience and you sense his downward spiral is far from over. He is a paid a lot of money so no need to feel sorry for him but you get the feeling watching him on the weekend and over past couple of seasons he is going to fade away and not fulfil his early promise. Feel more sorry for Leilani Latu who was forced out of our club and appears to be doing it tough up on the Gold Coast.

franklin2323

Immortal
Watching Bryce Cartwright during the Gold Coast v Sharks game was a painful experience and you sense his downward spiral is far from over. He is a paid a lot of money so no need to feel sorry for him but you get the feeling watching him on the weekend and over past couple of seasons he is going to fade away and not fulfil his early promise. Feel more sorry for Leilani Latu who was forced out of our club and appears to be doing it tough up on the Gold Coast.

He chose to run away instead of fight and work through the issues.... needs a good stint in QCup to get right

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
He chose to run away instead of fight and work through the issues.... needs a good stint in QCup to get right

Totally agree. I'm a huge believer that one needs to face up to the past, (face to face), work through the issues. Running away only allows the whole situation to occur again.

franklin2323

Immortal
Totally agree. I'm a huge believer that one needs to face up to the past, (face to face), work through the issues. Running away only allows the whole situation to occur again.

Playing side too. He was in the NSW Cup squad for a reason these reasons are becoming clear now. The funny thing is he would of gotten a run with us by now even if he did start in NSW Cup

mxlegend99

Referee
He also needs to stop being forced to play 6.

He's f**king useless there. The only value he has as a 6 is when he ignores his number and runs the ball first.

Brennan is just as dumb as Griffin in trying to use him there. He might have the skills of a 6. But he doesnt have the brains of one. Carty trying to think is terrible.

mxlegend99

Referee
Playing side too. He was in the NSW Cup squad for a reason these reasons are becoming clear now. The funny thing is he would of gotten a run with us by now even if he did start in NSW Cup
Yeah but it would be at 6 and he would be useless just as he has been for Titans.

He needed to go somewhere with established halves and a decent backup option. Put as much didtance between him and the 6 as possible.

Flanagan would've been the best fit for him. He helped Graham go from being a solid half unable to reach his potential to an Australian and NSW representative back rower. He has tried to keep him out of the halves.

OldPanther

Coach

You guys defending the club in the off season said there were death threats and this was a good option for him. Bit of a change in tune here.

franklin2323

Immortal
You guys defending the club in the off season said there were death threats and this was a good option for him. Bit of a change in tune here.

A good option to leave. Not a good option to stay in the limelight of professional sport. What would of changed? Could of started for 2019 with GC

Travel for a year. Go off to the bush on the land for a year playing part time park footy.

OldPanther

Coach
A good option to leave. Not a good option to stay in the limelight of professional sport. What would of changed? Could of started for 2019 with GC

Travel for a year. Go off to the bush on the land for a year playing part time park footy.

In my opinion he should of had a year off to work on his personal issues but I don't know him and his circumstances properly. Also needs a coach who won't ever play him at 6...... ever.

franklin2323

Immortal
In my opinion he should of had a year off to work on his personal issues but I don't know him and his circumstances properly. Also needs a coach who won't ever play him at 6...... ever.

Someone's house is being firebombed etc. I don't see how you can deny their request to leave though from his point of view I don't know what the difference is up there or here if still playing

I think any coach would put him in for the games he is 'on' so whatever position is part of that.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

I suppose to an extent it possibly is. I've thought long and hard about this, read most of the media and opinion pieces about it too.

No club should keep a player who is determined to leave. No matter what the reason. I was informed from a few sources that his ex's family were causing concern.

Should he have stayed / worked through what was happening, (I honestly have no idea). But I do know this (from personal experience) making peace with your past is a huge and important thing to do.

But in saying that Bryce looks as though he's head in not in a good place for footy at the moment. Whether he requires counselling, time away from the game (doing a real job, to see how fortunate he is in playing professional sport) I have no idea.

At the moment he looks disinterested in playing well. Often looking for the 'quick fix' in a game rather than doing the hard yards.

Is that happening in the rest of his life too I wonder.

I do think (on reflection) that the riff is better equiped to handle the issues he is going through. (I know that is a change of thinking)

Bryce looks to be the shadow of the player he once was. I find this very sad.

OldPanther

Coach
I suppose to an extent it possibly is. I've thought long and hard about this, read most of the media and opinion pieces about it too.

No club should keep a player who is determined to leave. No matter what the reason. I was informed from a few sources that his ex's family were causing concern.

Should he have stayed / worked through what was happening, (I honestly have no idea). But I do know this (from personal experience) making peace with your past is a huge and important thing to do.

But in saying that Bryce looks as though he's head in not in a good place for footy at the moment. Whether he requires counselling, time away from the game (doing a real job, to see how fortunate he is in playing professional sport) I have no idea.

At the moment he looks disinterested in playing well. Often looking for the 'quick fix' in a game rather than doing the hard yards.

Is that happening in the rest of his life too I wonder.

I do think (on reflection) that the riff is better equiped to handle the issues he is going through. (I know that is a change of thinking)

Bryce looks to be the shadow of the player he once was. I find this very sad.

Reasonable comment. I think at the end of the day only he can decide what is best for him. If leaving town to play under Garth hasn't helped I daresay he needs time off.

Playing him out of position can only make matters worse on a personal level as he feels he is letting the team down (I'm guessing but had experience with this)

TheFrog

Coach
http://www.catalansdragons.com/en/articles-9/168-5922-luke-walsh-forced-to-retire/

LUKE WALSH FORCED TO RETIRE

Luke Walsh sustained a significant ankle injury during the game at Hull KR in February that has prevented him from playing any rugby league and due to the injury has been unable to recover.

He has concurred with the opinion of multiple medical practitioners and has been forced to retire from his professional career.

Walsh, 30, arrived at the club last year and has been a key player of the 2017 season. He made 29 appearances, scoring 204 points (2 tries, 96 goals and 4 drop goals), with a 85% goal kicking percentage.

He previously played 140 NRL games with Newcastle and Penrith before joining Super League and Saints in 2014 where he scored 460 points in 63 appearances.

Luke Wash said: “I would like to thank the club for the support since I arrived, obviously the fans as well, all the players, I have made some good friends here and the coaching staff, especially Laurent Frayssinous who recruited me to the club. I wish all the best to the boys for the rest of the year and for the future of the club.”

Steve McNamara: “It’s always sad when a player has to retire early due to injury, Luke has tried everything possible to get himself into a position to play again but unfortunately that can’t happen. His commitment and contribution to the Dragons is something we as a club really appreciate.”

Club CEO Christophe Jouffret: “Walshy has been a great player for our club who always produced brilliant and consistent performances. His capacity to organize, his kicking game and his professionalism both on and off the field were second to none.”
Had a pretty decent career in the game for a somewhat limited footballer. Obviously 2010 was his peak as his kicks led to countless tries, often scored by Lachlan Coote whose chickens also seem to be coming home to roost (if you can believe the Cowboys Stampede), but teams worked us out and that was that. Not quite Andrew Johns but better than many give him credit for.

Had a pretty decent career in the game for a somewhat limited footballer. Obviously 2010 was his peak as his kicks led to countless tries, often scored by Lachlan Coote whose chickens also seem to be coming home to roost (if you can believe the Cowboys Stampede), but teams worked us out and that was that. Not quite Andrew Johns but better than many give him credit for.

I remember Round 2 in 2011, coming off a big loss to Newcastle in Round 1 (at home) and we ended up smashing the Eels at Parra Stadium. Walsh had a blinder that game and even picked up man of the match IIRC.

Kilkenny

Coach
Bryce Cartwright's horror start to the season continues. He needs a spell in the Queensland Cup to try and find some form & desire.

Latest posts