What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Eelementary

Post Whore
I’ve seen them do it in the A League I’m sure.

I think there is an effort made by governing bodies in football to eradicate diving, but for some reason, coaches and players continue to try it on.

It's a shame - I hate the practice.

strider

Post Whore
I know there are elements of it, but you simply cannot compare the amount of diving in league compared to soccer/football .... and if you try and draw some sort of justification then you are deadset kidding

And the nrl legitimately has tried to put a stop to it ... they got rid of the rubbish video ref calling out fairy taps every time a player laid down cos they recognised it was bullshit .... i wouldnt even be surprised if someone had a quiet word to slater over his efforts cos he actually tried to play fair after that dropkick try

Perhaps us people brought up on league just simply cant accept such softness cos we like a bit of brutality to our sport ...... but i reckon its a big part of why australia has never fully embraced the game

Suitman

Post Whore
Simulation is cheating, against the rules and more importantly against the spirit of the sporting contest. Your “different cultures” comment must mean that you accept and tolerate it ? If so, I don’t get why you do.

In extreme cases, I have seen matches where a player goes down, is carted off on a stretcher. The hops off and runs back on. That’s WWE wrestling stuff!

In the NRL when scrums used to be contested, half backs would put the ball in the second row. In the ruck there would be sneaky hands on the ball to cause a fumble. FMD us fans used to be enraged by that bullshit. Thankfully our laws changed to (mostly) rid these frustrations from the game. Soccer however shrugs their shoulders at it and fans ignore it ?

I enjoy the game, but to me it is spolied by these antics and I think it’s a crying shame. I don’t get why you say to me oh well don’t watch it.

I wonder what your reaction was in 2006 to this ? Did you appaud his sportsmanship?

I recall being at a party just after it and I met a former socceroo who was then working as a sports master of a private school. He said that the Italian guy was right to do that “because goals are hard to get”.

Thank you for suggesting that I must agree that it's ok for players to simulate due to my comment about different cultures in sport. I stand by that.
For what it's worth, I despise the practice. I absolutely hate it and think it is a terrible blight on the game. Thankfully, it's not as prevalent in this country as it is overseas, and it is certainly far less accepted amongst football fans here.
My main gripe with your original comment was that you have made your point many times previously.
I'm far aware of your stance on this issue yet you bang on about it time and time again in an almost Bart-esque fashion. Ok...... we get it. It's the same as continually watching a shit tv show and then complaining about the content.

I'm in the same ball park as you regarding diving in football, as I said above, but I look past it and focus on the better and more positive aspects of the game, like Reilly McGree's world class goal last week.

There's plenty of shitty things about RL as well, yet I don't see you carry on about them like you do with diving in football. As I said, if you don't like it, don't watch it.
Also, it's clear that you do not understand the game judging by the video you posted.
Absolutely, the Italian was going to go down, but when a defender throws himself at the feet of an attacking player inside the box, they are opening themselves up to the type of decision that was made. Instead of laying the blame at the Italian, maybe you should be looking at the stupidity of Lucas Neill for making such a poor attempt at a tackle at such a critical stage of the game.

Gronk

Staff member
Thank you for suggesting that I must agree that it's ok for players to simulate due to my comment about different cultures in sport. I stand by that.
For what it's worth, I despise the practice. I absolutely hate it and think it is a terrible blight on the game. Thankfully, it's not as prevalent in this country as it is overseas, and it is certainly far less accepted amongst football fans here.
My main gripe with your original comment was that you have made your point many times previously.
I'm far aware of your stance on this issue yet you bang on about it time and time again in an almost Bart-esque fashion. Ok...... we get it. It's the same as continually watching a shit tv show and then complaining about the content.

I'm in the same ball park as you regarding diving in football, as I said above, but I look past it and focus on the better and more positive aspects of the game, like Reilly McGree's world class goal last week.

There's plenty of shitty things about RL as well, yet I don't see you carry on about them like you do with diving in football. As I said, if you don't like it, don't watch it.
Also, it's clear that you do not understand the game judging by the video you posted.
Absolutely, the Italian was going to go down, but when a defender throws himself at the feet of an attacking player inside the box, they are opening themselves up to the type of decision that was made. Instead of laying the blame at the Italian, maybe you should be looking at the stupidity of Lucas Neill for making such a poor attempt at a tackle at such a critical stage of the game.

1. I didn’t say that you must agree. Read it again I said if you agree.
2. I don’t bang on about it. I have mentioned my gripe literally 5 times in 10 years. Search it, I’m right.
3. Comparing me Bart Is ridiculous.
4. I am not Robinson Crusoe here if you note the comments today as others agree and it is a very common criticism about the sport If this was the AFL thread or cricket thread I doubt you would amp up. This is a soccer thread warts n all mate If you want to start a soccer appreciation thread then go right ahead. You can even request to be moderator and delete comments that you don’t like.

strider

Post Whore
Yeah the bart-esque comparison is way off .... the guy was a first rate stalking, trolling grub

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I like Suity’s passion about soccer but seriously he is one of the most humourless passive agressive log floggers on this forum.

The attack against Gronk is completely unwarranted and way off the mark.

Dibs

Bench
I think Gronk is wrong here. It’s not like suity continually brings up his hate of Sydney fc, or how unfairly the RBB are treated or his hatred of GWS

Gronk

Staff member
You still watching? A fair effort from the Victory keeper after someone tried to kick his head off.

It was a shocking challenge.

The VAR failed again. So I am guessing that when they say it is a software error, they mean that the VAR determines a goal / no goal result without human intervention? Didn’t work obviously. Maybe they should not have rolled it out until it is proven 99% accurate. The hawke-eye at the tennis seems to get it right. Prolly has a far simpler task but.

On a side note to the GF, the Victory assistant coach who ran onto the pitch and slaped a SFC player got 4 weeks. Imagine if Steve Murphy ran onto the pitch and clobbered JT during the match. He would have got 12 months or even life in the NRL. WTF with that.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Socceroos_Extended_Squad-pre.jpg

Maybe it's a good thing that we're not over-successful.

Serbian soccer team Red StarBelgrade set fire to their own team bus during a victory parade By Steve Wilson Posted Tue 22 May 2018, 2:32pm

If the FFA thinks the A-League has a problem with flares, they might want to cast their eyes to Serbia and be grateful it is only a few errant fans and not the teams themselves who get their hands on them. Celebrations of Red Star Belgrade's 28th league title win got out of hand this weekend. One of the players on an open-top bus snaking through the city unwittingly set an oil spill alight, sparking a fire that dramatically engulfed the vehicle, forcing the team on to the streets among thousands of fans, while fire crews tackled the blaze. Everyone disembarked the bus to safety and the celebrations continued as the emergency services did their job.

The team were travelling from the club's home stadium to the north of the city on a victory parade after claiming the title with an emphatic 5-1 victory over Vozdovac. The route was filled with jubilant fans of the club, with supporters as well as players brandishing flares. In scenes captured on social media and broadcast on the Black & Ginger YouTube channel, players can initially be seen attempting to continue the party even as flames started to lick the lower part of the bus. But as the fire grew more intense all on board were evacuated and fans on the streets urged away from danger.

Pyrotechnics are often in evidence at Serbian football grounds, with the stadium treated to an elaborate fireworks show before and after the victory over Vozdovac. Red Star are the country's most successful club and claimed the European Cup back in 1991, the only club from the former Yugoslavia to have become continental champions. However, despite their vast experience in celebrating trophies, few after parties have been as memorable as this year's vintage. Even if it was for all the wrong reasons on this occasion

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-22/red-star-belgrade-set-fire-to-team-bus-during-parade/9786968