What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ODI Squad to tour England

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Tim Paine to captain Australian ODI team in England, fellow wicketkeeper Alex Carey also selected
AUSTRALIA

• May 8, 2018 12:51pm
  • by STAFF WRITERS
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
ODUyMDE4M3xjeG8uYXxodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS9hMDVhMDZmZTNlMGMxOGMwMWM4YzllMWQzODI0YzU0ZXw4NTIwMTgz

Australia's wicketkeeper and captain Tim Paine.Source: AFP
TIM Paine will lead Australian cricket into its bold new era after being appointed captain of Australia’s one-day squad to tour England later this month.

However Paine faces competition for the wicketkeeping gloves after highly-rated young gun Alex Carey was also selected in Justin Langer’s first squad as Australian men’s head coach.

Paine’s appointment as one-day captain comes despite initial suggestions he would be allowed to focus solely on his Test cricket leadership duties.

However selection boss Trevor Hohns indicated Paine was not locked into the role long-term.

“Tim is a strong leader and will captain the side for this series, supported by Aaron (Finch),” Hohns said.

“A decision on a permanent one-day captain will be made in due course.”

Test stars Nathan Lyon and Shaun Marsh earned surprise recalls to the 50-over side while D’Arcy Short also earned a call-up after impressing in T20 internationals.

LIVE stream the best of international cricket outside of Australia on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week Foxtel Now trial & start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW >

ODUyMDE4M3xjeG8uYXxodHRwczovL3d3dy5mb3hzcG9ydHMuY29tLmF1L3BtZC9pbWFnZXMvMjAxOC8wNS8wOC82Nzg1NDlfNjQweDM2MF9sYXJnZV8yMDE4MDUwODEwMTMwMi5qcGd8ODUyMDE4Mw==

Langer names first Aus squads

3:19
Selectors have unveiled a new-look one-day squad, missing banned batting stars Steve Smith and David Warner and injured strike bowlers Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins.

Usman Khawaja, Chris Lynn and Adam Zampa were the notable omissions.

Lynn was not considered for selection as he is pencilled in for surgery on his troublesome shoulder after his current stint in the Indian Premier League.

A seperate Twenty 20 squad for a one-off match in England followed by a tri-series in Zimbabwe was also named, with Finch will skipper that side for the first time since 2016 and Carey to act as his deputy.

The squad features uncapped Queenslanders Jack Wildermuth and Mitchell Swepson, while dumped NSW batsman Nic Maddinson has earned a national call-up.

Australian ODI squad: Tim Paine (capt), Aaron Finch (vc), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Josh Hazelwood, Travis Head, Nathan Lyon, Glenn Maxwell, Shaun Marsh, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, D’Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcuis Stoinis, Andrew Tye

Australian T20 squad: Aaron Finch (capt), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Travis Head, Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, D’Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Andrew Tye, Jack Wildermuth.

TOUR OF ENGLAND SCHEDULE

June 7 Warm-up v Sussex, Hove (D/N)

June 9 Warm-up v Middlesex, Lord’s

June 13 First ODI, The Oval (D/N)

June 16 Second ODI, Cardiff

June 19 Third ODI, Trent Bridge (D/N)

June 21 Fourth ODI, Durham (D/N)

June 24 Fifth ODI, Old Trafford

June 27 Only T20, Edgbaston (D/N)

T20I tri-series in Zimbabwe

Sunday, July 1: Zimbabwe vs Pakistan

Monday, July 2: Pakistan vs Australia

Tuesday, July 3: Australia vs Zimbabwe

Wednesday, July 4: Zimbabwe vs Pakistan

Thursday, July 5: Pakistan vs Australia

Friday, July 6: Australia vs Zimbabwe

Sunday, July 8: Final

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...d/news-story/9a9efb192ebd8f270f8c1fe64e7ebedc

Timbo

Staff member
Oof, that ODI side is a bit weak on batting. But was to be expected.

I approve of Paine as skipper for tests and ODIs.

Bazal

Post Whore
I approve of Carey as VC for the T20s. Look to the future, I was worried they'd bring back Cam f**king White or some other hack for their "leadership and experience"

ODI squad probably as good as can be expected, would like a younger player than Darsh and maybe one more bat but the pickings aren't exactly stellar

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Will Stanlake handle the physical demands of 10 overs?

Lynn is a big loss with Warner already gone.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Lynn is still very limited in what he can do. His shoulders are stuffed.

I read it. Surgery after IPL. He's more mobile in IPL at moment than he was in T20i when just back from injury.

Short and Maxwell having poor IPL's this year. Like really poor.

Lynn's going okay.

Stoinis is going really well when picked. Tye's crushing it and his team rely on him.

Stanlake was good before injury.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Oof, that ODI side is a bit weak on batting. But was to be expected.

I approve of Paine as skipper for tests and ODIs.

Wouldn't be surprised f Both Paine and Carey are in the XI

Carey is a gun bat, and can easily bat n the top 4

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we may very well miss Levers on this tour, this game is his best form imo

JJ

Immortal
Not enough batting and having Paine there compounds it unfortunately

tomdl

Bench
Not enough batting and having Paine there compounds it unfortunately
He will have to open the batting imo if he is going to effective at all. He is a liability anywhere else in limited overs. May as well bat him at 8 and hope we don’t need him if he doesn’t open.

Bazal

Post Whore
He will have to open the batting imo if he is going to effective at all. He is a liability anywhere else in limited overs. May as well bat him at 8 and hope we don’t need him if he doesn’t open.

Que?

Power play up front is one of the most important run scoring periods. I think the put downs of Paine are OTT, but for me he's a perfect ODI four. Rotate the strike in the middle overs and aim to bat deep, giving the hitters plenty of wickets to play with in the final fifteen or so.

Timbo

Staff member
Apparently Lynn can't dive and is having real trouble throwing. Bit of a liability for 50 overs in the field.

I'm surprised Bailey or White didn't get a look in. We have a dearth of experience at the top.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Apparently Lynn can't dive and is having real trouble throwing. Bit of a liability for 50 overs in the field.

I'm surprised Bailey or White didn't get a look in. We have a dearth of experience at the top.

If you play around with possible elevens, there's still a good chance that Stoinis bats around 6 with a batsman on the bench, 2 if Paine plays.

I just wonder whether Paine is a deserving selection over Carey. I agree that it is more difficult to make a bloke captain, then bench him unless its Kurt Gidley in Origin, but if Carey plays in the ODI team, is Paine really in the remaining 5 best bats in the country or that much better as a keeper so as to deserve to take the gloves off Carey?

I think it would have been a whole lot simpler for the selectors to have made Finch captain, and then had more flexibility to make changes as the tour progresses.

And yet, I get an inkling, that this could very well happen if England win a few, with the tour captain on the bench on during an odi.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
We've picked a low-averaging keeper recently, in Haddin, who at the twilight of his career was far more valuable for the experience he offered.

I have no problem with Paine batting as low as 8 and captaining.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
We've picked a low-averaging keeper recently, in Haddin, who at the twilight of his career was far more valuable for the experience he offered.

I have no problem with Paine batting as low as 8 and captaining.

But Paine doesn't want to use sledging, I mean experience, as a game tactic :p

You also had M Marsh available, Watto and an in form Faulkner back then with Warner, Clarke/Bailey and Smith.

This is a very different team.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure why people are complaining about Paine when we just put up with Wade for ages, he is an improvement.

For me the ODI squad is too big on T/20 hitters and other than Darsh, who probabaly wont play, is about the only batsman who could bat through 50 overs, maybe Head but not a lot of stability for mine.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Wade and Haddin scored their runs considerably quicker than Paine in ODI. Haddin had the same average

Having said that Paine has to be there now, considering what has happened and Carey is still green at international level (Agree with Ant, Finchy maybe should have been ODI captain)

Im banking Smith and Warner to be back in the mix for the WC. With Head, Smith, and if SMarsh is there, we have plenty who can bat through and stabilise an innings, Stoinis does this well too. Not sure why we would need to hang on to Paine for this reason, especially if he is batting at 7 or 8

Worst case scenario for Paine over the next 12 months in ODI is if he cant get going or contribute with the bat at all, and Carey kills it.

Latest posts