What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q Cup Assignments for 2018

burgess1978

Juniors
There was a thread asking about the Broncos players. I thought I'd add a summary for all teams here. Add or correct as needed.

So to summarise based on the teams lists and other stuff I have seen.

Broncos
Souths-Logan: Seve, Allan, Flegler, Fifita (MM), Scarlett, Fai, Mago, Su’a,

Wynnum-Manly: Carrigan, Haas, Nona, Funaki, Palasia

Redcliffe: Staggs, Taueli, Opacic, Pearson, Turpin, M.Pangai

Norths: Murphy, Shibasaki, Tagataese, Burns (HDC), Paix (MM), Farnworth, Dargan

Ipswich: Bird, Oates, Roberts

Also, Brent Woolf is playing for Townsville. Not sure whether he had been released or if the Broncos are letting him play up there because their feeders have good hookers and the family connection up there.

Storm
Easts: Walters, Drinkwater, B.Smith, P.Kaufusi, Tonumaipea,

Falcons: Papenhuyzen, Olam, Timm, Grant, Kamikamica, Jacks, Geraghty

Victoria Thunderbolts (HDC): Johns, Milne, Fa'asuamaleaui

Cowboys

Pride: Tuala, Clifford, Taulagi, Pere, Gela-Mosby, Hampton, McLean, Bowen, Hola (DHC), Greig (HDC), Luhan (HDC)

Cutters: Wright, Hoare, Laybutt, Dunn, Chudleigh, Coote

Blackhawks: Hudson, Jensen, Anderson, Molo

Titans
Tweed: Cooper, Brimson, Matautia, Simkins, Elliott, Fotuaika, Hipgrave, King, Matthews, Sami

Burleigh: Lee, Copley, Don, Geenwood, Boyle, Roberts-Davis, Stockwell, Whitbread

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Thats a interesting list

3 to 5 max NRL players per club in Qld

While in NSW

Its 13 plus 6 development players

johnny plath

Juniors
Thats a interesting list

3 to 5 max NRL players per club in Qld

While in NSW

Its 13 plus 6 development players
Its similar per club though, Broncos 19, cowboys 20, titans 18, and storm 7. so not sure of your point. The big player loss for the Qld clubs and storm is in the u20s. They have a few players spread throughout the Q cup, whereas NSW clubs mostly have and ISP team and u20s jersey flegg team. Not whinging but the Qld kids really seem to have lost out on an opportunity and development path.

burgess1978

Juniors
Its similar per club though, Broncos 19, cowboys 20, titans 18, and storm 7. so not sure of your point. The big player loss for the Qld clubs and storm is in the u20s. They have a few players spread throughout the Q cup, whereas NSW clubs mostly have and ISP team and u20s jersey flegg team. Not whinging but the Qld kids really seem to have lost out on an opportunity and development path.
Those numbers aren't final. Brisbane probably have another 10 or more to assign and the Storm have quite a few also. I'd say it ends up closer to 30, 25, 20, 15. (not including guys like Bird etc. who will mostly play NRL). I'll update the OP as I notice more guys.

Last edited:

burgess1978

Juniors
I reckon Isaako will be around in the NRL for a bit now with Kahu and Oates both gone. By the time those two are back you'd think both Boyd and Bird will be sitting out games for rep duty. Might not see Isaako back in the Q Cup until after origin (if at all).

burgess1978

Juniors
Another few recent ones ...

Cooper Johns, Jahrome Hughes and Joe Stimson —> Falcons

Fensom and Jensen —> Blackhawks

Elgey dropped to Tweed

Tanah Boyd back from injury for Souths in MM.

Cheyse Blair lining up for Easts today.

Last edited:

The Partisan

Curiosity has got to me.

I assume the Cowboys advise any new recruits as to where they will be allocated.

What happens if say Player X is allocated to Cairns / Northern Pride then after a while becomes a regular in the Cowboys outfit. Do the Cowboys relocate him ( and family if applicable ) ? What if he is then dropped or injured long term? If the Toowoomba based Western Mustangs enter the comp as a Titans feeder team... Will a new recruit from outside SEQ be told by them to put away the board shorts and pack the ugg boots ...and will this be a problem for them if this scenario eventuates?

burgess1978

Juniors
Typically the way the feeder team setup works is that the player trains with the NRL team most of the week and then heads to training with the feeder team later in the week. Geography plays its part of course, as does whether or not the player is part of the NRL top 36 players.

For example, when Coote played for Mackay I would assume he rocked up for the Friday night training session before a Monday game, but Mitch Dunn probably spends most of his time in Mackay.

The Cowboys in particular don’t regularly change which feeder team a player goes to, and they always let a player go back to their own region (eg. Molo is still in TSV and Chudleigh is still in Mackay). Laybutt is the only player I can think of who they have moved.
They moved him closer originally and then back again because they wanted both he and Clifford playing 7 and Clifford was the younger player and would be more inconvenienced by the shift.

The Titans do change their players between feeders but not massively. I think they changed 2-3 this year. Max King was one. It doesn’t make much difference for them. Burleigh have a very strong pack this year though so I assume the Burleigh coach had some input here.

As far as urban teams having regional feeders, it hasn’t been done with much success. Brisbane had Mustangs 20’s as a feeder last year but have now moved those players to Norths... Ipswich are still officially a Broncos feeder but don’t have any regular players because the players wanted to be closer to town (and some disagreement between the Walkers and Wayne Bennett).... the Capras cancelled their arrangement with the Titans because they weren’t getting players and they felt the arrangement wasn’t helping the game up there... and in NSW the same thing has happened with Wyong and the Roosters.

The exception to this is the Storm. They have always had to have feeder teams elsewhere (Norths, then Cronulla, then Norths again, now Easts and Falcons) so they have their system down pat for this. As per above some players spend their week in Melbourne and fly up late but others would be based in Qld. Earlier this year Tui Kamikamica did something like Melbourne, Townsville, Melbourne (maybe Perth too?), Auckland, Melbourne then arrived the day before the Falcons rd1 game against Burleigh.

Someone like Ryley Jacks or Brodie Croft would train with the Storm all week. Drinkwater or Billy Walters might spend some time down there but probably come back a day or two earlier.

Last edited:

burgess1978

Juniors
Last one today. I spoke with Tanah Boyd’s father the other day at the MM final (he coaches the SL 20’s). Tanah will go up to the 20’s after the National Final this weekend .

The Partisan

Thanks mate ...very informative.....and you are correct not made it to Pac Fair for a while so no uggies seen by these eyeballs !

burgess1978

Juniors
Ethan Lowe --> Pride

Christian Welch --> Easts

Sandor Earl --> Falcons

Will re-post a summary soon.

Last edited:

burgess1978

Juniors
Updated summary as promised.

Players in red are confirmed assigned but haven't played in the Qld Cup this year, due to either injury or them playing in the NRL.

Players in green are confirmed assigned but are haven't played Qld Cup yet because they are playing lower grades.

Broncos
Souths-Logan: Seve, Allan, Flegler, Fifita, Scarlett, Fai, Mago, Su’a, T.Boyd
Wynnum-Manly: Carrigan, Haas, Nona, Funaki, Palasia
Redcliffe: Staggs, Taueli, Opacic, Pearson, Turpin, M.Pangai
Norths: Murphy, Shibasaki, Tagataese, Farnworth, Dargan, Burns, Paix
Ipswich: Bird, Oates, Roberts

Storm
Easts: Walters, Drinkwater, B.Smith, P.Kaufusi, Blair, Croft, Welch
Falcons: Papenhuyzen, Olam, Timm, Grant, Kamikamica, Jacks, Geraghty, Johns, Earl, Hughes, Stimson
Victoria Thunderbolts (Colts), Milne, Fa'asuamaleaui

Cowboys
Pride: Tuala, Clifford, Taulagi, Pere, Gela-Mosby, Hampton, McLean, Bowen, Lowe, Hola, Greig, Luhan
Cutters: Wright, Hoare, Laybutt, Dunn, Chudleigh, Coote, S.Murphy, J.Anderson, Wiltshire
Blackhawks: Hudson, Jensen, C.Anderson, Molo, Fensom

Titans
Tweed: Cooper, Brimson, Matautia, Simkins, Elliott, Latu, Hurrell, Cartwright, Elgey, Fotuaika, Hipgrave, King, Matthews, Sami
Burleigh: Lee, Copley, Don, Boyle, Roberts-Davis, Stockwell, Whitbread

Last edited: