What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sutherland has to go

Timbo

Staff member
This latest move of cancelling the Bangladesh tour is disgusting from CA and Sutherland.

He actually had the gall to say 'it was too difficult to organise'. Mate, you're the head of the board. If organising an inbound two-match series is too tough, you're in the wrong job.

He has botched everything he's touched lately, from the way he handled ball-tampering, to putting ODI's behind a paywall, to cancelling a series because it was a bit too difficult for him to deal with.

He's an absolute joke of an administrator and it's time for CA to find someone who is actually capable of doing the damn job.

mozza91

Coach
Sutherland could pass the buck for a living. He should be looking into it now tbh. Surely he’ll be out of a job shortly?

Pommy

Coach
I heard it on the radio briefly and assumed it was a tour of Bangladesh and security etc was the issue.
How hard can it be to organise a couple of games here in oz?

TheParraboy

Staff member
When all else fails, lets play a few t20 games against them

Looks like footy to blame

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...cancelled-tour-with-t20s-20180510-p4zelf.html

Cricket Australia is planning to schedule a Twenty20 series against Bangladesh in lieu of this year's cancelled Test tour.

Bangladesh had been slated in the future tours program to come to Australia for two Tests and three one-day internationals in August but that has been shelved reportedly due to concerns by TV networks over competition with the major football codes.

It is understood the two boards are looking to stage Twenty20 matches in Australia in the lead up to the world title in 2020.

Timbo

Staff member
Seriously, how shit are you as an administrator if you point blank say people would rather watch a different sport than yours? Regardless of whether or not it’s true?

What a f**kwit.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Seriously, how shit are you as an administrator if you point blank say people would rather watch a different sport than yours? Regardless of whether or not it’s true?

What a f**kwit.
He’s a f**king Victorian, what else would you expect??

Fangs

Coach
I would have thought a couple cheap tests against Bangladesh would work in our favour.

Regardless Sutherland doesn't seem to handle much well at all. Especially time in front of the camera. Time for new blood.

Timbo

Staff member
Just wanted to comment in here again, as there was a bit of 'will we play Ireland' in the match day thread.

I think the answer is clearly and painfully 'no' as Sutherland will crap on about cost and how hard it is to get his contractually obligated television partners to turn up, but promise to play Ireland in a T20 match should we ever happen to have an extended layover in Dublin.

It just makes me realise, how much of a f**king trick we're missing here. We still only play test cricket in the seven capital cities main grounds. Why aren't we scheduling short tours (3 ODIs and 2 tests) in October, after footy season ends but before our 'main' series starts. It would be a great way to get people excited about the summer ahead, and a good way to get our players a bit of match fitness before the big tours of the year.

The arguments he would no doubt throw up against:

Player burnout - Irrelevant. This is when they'd be playing the domestic one-day cup and Sheffield Shield anyway. So there is no less cricket on the table.

Clashes with other sports - Footy season is over. Just try not to clash with the Melbourne Cup, Caufield Cup or Cox Plate and you'll be fine.

Broadcasters don't want to - You have a contract with them, dickhead. Given the number of international matches fluctuates every year, I dare say you would have built that fact into the contract. And are you seriously f**king telling me that with no football on broadcasters would go 'yeah, nah' to the Australian mens cricket team?

Costs of travel - You've answered this question yourself by minimising the costs associated with the domestic one-day cup. Try this schedule for size:

Australia vs. Ireland/Bangladesh/Zimbabwe/Afghanistan:

First ODI - Western Sydney (Blacktown D/N)
Second ODI - Wollongong (North Dalton Park)
Third ODI - Canberra (Manuka D/N)

First Test - Canberra (Manuka)
Second Test - Western Sydney (Blacktown International Sports Park)

Before anyone talks to me about Blacktown or Wollongong not being up to standard - Dunedin, Belfast and Christchurch are just pavilions with hills, The grandstands at Bulawayo and Harare give you tetanus just for looking at them and Malahide (Dublin) is literally just an open field with scaffolding grandstands set up around it. They would most definitely be of a standard to host matches of this scale. These are just a handful of grounds around the world that these venues are either equal to or beat in terms of quality - and it would give access to an entirely different group of fans. It would also dramatically reduce costs.

That is a tour that if you started it on the 5th of October (the Friday after the NRL grand final) would be over well before the end of the month, even allowing for a 2-day warm up match for the visitors between the ODIs and the tests.

There you go, Jimbo - that's how you play the smaller countries. It's plainly not 'too difficult' to organise. And I haven't even had my morning coffee yet.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Player burnout - Irrelevant. This is when they'd be playing the domestic one-day cup and Sheffield Shield anyway. So there is no less cricket on the table.

this is exactly what we need, exposure for our fringe players against a minnow team

gives us opportunity to assess these players and gets minnow teams more test matches

you can never have too much cricket, especially test cricket. I used to really like those winter tours up the top end