What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reynolds

super_coach

First Grade
With Josh due back very soon, what will Cleary do??? Will he send him over to Hogo for a week or two to get some match fitness or will it be straight back to the bench??

I think he needs two weeks with Hogo, but I doubt that will happen and that will result in a benchie getting the chop. With Taylor and Liddle sharing the no9 I doubt we can afford to carry Reynolds on the bench. Ideally you want Liddle playing 80, Reynolds playing 6 and Marshall 14, but I think Liddle is a month or two at very best from playing 80.

Interesting times ahead

Clifferd

Coach
I do think this time round he should be eased into NSW Cup to gain match fitness, we are now heading into crucial stages of the season where it’s too risky to f**k around with positional changes especially in key positions

Give him 2-3 weeks in nsw cup then slot him in at 5/8 with benji back to bench

Via NSW cup for a couple of weeks for match fitness would be my choice but he will probably come back on the bench as he did previously.
It will be interesting to see when he does gain fitness and form if he replaces Benji how that will effect the dynamics of this team.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Agree with all the posts. Back in nsw cup for a week would be ideal but it won’t happen.

The problem with brining him in is we will lose a big man. Liddle will go to 9, ET 13, Eiso bench and then Sue probably drops out.

All of our wins this year have been on the back of dominant forward performances, losing a big guy will make that hard.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Agree with all the posts. Back in nsw cup for a week would be ideal but it won’t happen.

The problem with brining him in is we will lose a big man. Liddle will go to 9, ET 13, Eiso bench and then Sue probably drops out.

All of our wins this year have been on the back of dominant forward performances, losing a big guy will make that hard.
It’s a major dilemma coz we dont want to sacrifice mongrel on the bench so as to fit both Benji & Reynolds on the 17.Cleary has some significant selection decisions to make which could have major ramifications on our finals prospects.

Tiger05

First Grade
Like for like replacement for me. That means bye bye bunji!

I reckon Benji is better than Reynolds so no Reynolds but that would mean Reynolds goes down as the worst recruiting decision of all time.

I think the key point is how do we fit players in:-

Prop rotation: Packer/Matulino/Twal/Sue works really well. These guys are backed up by Grant and Felise. I wouldn't change that area.
Lock Rotation: Eisenhuth and Aloiai. ET can play here and he is great but Eisenhuth and Aloiai are going to offer a lot more grunt.
Left edge: Lawrence - he has been special this year.
Right edge: This is up for grabs for me. Rochow, ET, McQueen & MCK are all options here.
Hooker:- Liddle gets a spot but at the moment I'd probably keep ET there and rotate with Liddle. At this point Liddle is inconsistent and doesn't have 80 minutes in him.

Brooks gets one half position. Reynolds and Benji fight it out for the other spot and potentially a bench spot.

The bench is the issue. I think I'd have 3 middle forwards on the bench. So we have Sue/Twal and Aloiai. That means we shouldn't get rolled up the middle. We can win basically every game where we are strong in the middle.

I figure you have to have Liddle on the bench at the moment. That leaves ET starting at hooker and the guys fighting for the right edge spot to figure it out. MCK gets that spot to me and that means Benji or Reynolds should either play all game or go to ISP.

Heaps of other options based mostly around where do you play ET but I think we need to have that really strong middle.

Clifferd

Coach
I reckon Benji is better than Reynolds so no Reynolds but that would mean Reynolds goes down as the worst recruiting decision of all time.

I think the key point is how do we fit players in:-

Prop rotation: Packer/Matulino/Twal/Sue works really well. These guys are backed up by Grant and Felise. I wouldn't change that area.
Lock Rotation: Eisenhuth and Aloiai. ET can play here and he is great but Eisenhuth and Aloiai are going to offer a lot more grunt.
Left edge: Lawrence - he has been special this year.
Right edge: This is up for grabs for me. Rochow, ET, McQueen & MCK are all options here.
Hooker:- Liddle gets a spot but at the moment I'd probably keep ET there and rotate with Liddle. At this point Liddle is inconsistent and doesn't have 80 minutes in him.

Brooks gets one half position. Reynolds and Benji fight it out for the other spot and potentially a bench spot.

The bench is the issue. I think I'd have 3 middle forwards on the bench. So we have Sue/Twal and Aloiai. That means we shouldn't get rolled up the middle. We can win basically every game where we are strong in the middle.

I figure you have to have Liddle on the bench at the moment. That leaves ET starting at hooker and the guys fighting for the right edge spot to figure it out. MCK gets that spot to me and that means Benji or Reynolds should either play all game or go to ISP.

Heaps of other options based mostly around where do you play ET but I think we need to have that really strong middle.

Take into accounf injuries will play apart, but we do have some good selection headaches

Front-Rower

First Grade
Reynolds’ kicking game is inherently better than Benji’s and should see him in first grade on that alone.

That begs the question, where does Marshall play? Could he handle sharing the dummy half duties with Liddle? Does that mean, however, Marshall defends at 5/8th when on the park with Reynolds defending in the middle?

In IC we trust.

super_coach

First Grade
Reynolds’ kicking game is inherently better than Benji’s and should see him in first grade on that alone.

That begs the question, where does Marshall play? Could he handle sharing the dummy half duties with Liddle? Does that mean, however, Marshall defends at 5/8th when on the park with Reynolds defending in the middle?

In IC we trust.
Not sure I agree on your assessment of Benji's kicking game. His floating bombs are close to the best in the game, his long defensive kicks are effective. Okay his selection when to kick has been a bit off in recent weeks, but he certainly is not gifting team 7 tackle restarts like he did when he was here last time.

Really don't know what to expect from Reynolds, he has only played about 20 minutes this year. I know what he did at the Dogs, but till he gets a few games under his belt and its hard to make a call

Clifferd

Coach
I don’t ever recall Reynolds having a kicking game? I thought he was more renowned for his running game & enthusiasm

I’ll have to rewatch some highlights later

Front-Rower

First Grade
his long defensive kicks are effective.

Disagree on this point. Majority of the time he kicks through the line instead of over it and he is shanking a lot of his kicks that he tries to get elevation on which in turn means he isn’t getting any genuine distance.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Disagree on this point. Majority of the time he kicks through the line instead of over it and he is shanking a lot of his kicks that he tries to get elevation on which in turn means he isn’t getting any genuine distance.
Agree.His kicking game has been shithouse over the last month & so has his form.Cleary deadset has a problem ensuing re what to do with Benji if Reynolds ever gets fit enough to put a long sequence of games together.

If Reynolds plays well enough to add value to the team which I expect he will then Benji will unfortunately b surplus to our needs coz we have to maximise with big boppas on the bench.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don’t ever recall Reynolds having a kicking game? I thought he was more renowned for his running game & enthusiasm

I’ll have to rewatch some highlights later

I only remember him having a pretty good short kicking game, not much of a long one

Either way how good is it having to decide between which first grader misses out as opposed to who starts out of Edwards and Lovett?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yep... this is a good problem to have ...

I think you bring Reynolds back via the bench for 2-3 weeks but then I would start him at 6...

Benji is looking a bit worn out to me the past month... I think he can still play a part in the (hopefully) run into the finals but I think you need to manage his time this middle third of the season with bench time and even give him a week off here and there..

Latest posts