What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 V Souths

What’s Greg Alexander got against us?
Did a red and white car run over his dog once?
Did a Dragons supporter once plonk his Mrs?

For gods sake, when Nightingale got the ball knocked out of his hands, a clear penalty, all Brandy could say was “oh, that’s a lose carry”

Don’t get me started about forward passes, there’s about 10 let go every game, by every team. Half the linesman in the league have their eyes painted on.

RufusRex

Post Whore
What’s Greg Alexander got against us?
Did a red and white car run over his dog once?
Did a Dragons supporter once plonk his Mrs?

For gods sake, when Nightingale got the ball knocked out of his hands, a clear penalty, all Brandy could say was “oh, that’s a lose carry”

Don’t get me started about forward passes, there’s about 10 let go every game, by every team. Half the linesman in the league have their eyes painted on.

Besides Steve linnane trying to take one of his eyes out?

Just a quick question?

Was it just me that thought our forwards seem to get in the way of every play yesterday?

JDB playing first receiver while he was on, Sims, Friz, Ah Mau, Graham always receiving the ball in the middle of a backline play.

Hunt was hurt, Widdop went MIA, and the forwards seemed to run the game.

denis preston

First Grade
Just a quick question?

Was it just me that thought our forwards seem to get in the way of every play yesterday?

JDB playing first receiver while he was on, Sims, Friz, Ah Mau, Graham always receiving the ball in the middle of a backline play.

Ironic that with Reynolds tearing out of the line in defence Widdorp wasn't advised by the water boy to kick behind him. Old Garath doesn't need much encouragement to use the kick ! Not our best game but very badly managed by our super coaches.

Ironic that with Reynolds tearing out of the line in defence Widdorp wasn't advised by the water boy to kick behind him. Old Garath doesn't need much encouragement to use the kick ! Not our best game but very badly managed by our super coaches.

He went missing big time without Hunt running the plays.
Very disappointed with that, reminded me of last year.

There was a period on Souths line where Hunt/ Widdop didn’t go anywhere the ball till the last tackle, they are supposed to be play makers.

ozbuck

Juniors
Explain how everything went our way please? Ok the AR one was a call our way.

The way I saw it at the game was you guys were consistently back only about 7-8 metres.

McInnes got away with about 5 forward passes. Yeah we got away with 1-2 but not 5.

One of your forwards knocked on attacking in the first half and they let him go back and play the ball. Please.... I had this Tigers guy next to me who was with his Souths mate who I know and was there for his mate and even he called out of frustration at that call.

Also Ah Mau' shot on Sam was slightly high and warranted a penalty. If Sam did that then he'd have been out on report most likely.

You guys are still the benchmark but if you wanna start pinning things on a couple of calls when you guys had a good run of calls considering it was an away game then you guys obviously don't wanna get better next week. Blaming the refs for that is an absolute cop out. We lost to Brisbane in Round 8 and I could've blamed the refs for one to two things but I realised we just did not tackle well enough.

In our game back in Round 5 I thought GI was taken without the ball and then Dufty got away with it and went the field. I thought it should've been a penalty to us. Plus other dodgy calls. It was our home game today and once again a mixture of calls. This is the first time I have mentioned it on the whole of LU though in regards to Round 5. Like I didn't cry over it as you guys were just that bit better that night and the better team won. I had to accept that! @ouryears

Mate, Im a Saints supporter. Theres quite a few fellow supporters who are absolutely love being victims and only magnify there biases in their own heard to justify it. good calls and bad calls happen in every game.

You guys won the game, and you played better overall...deserved it.

Ignore all these victim lovers sitting hunched over their computer screen or phone screen feeling sorry for themselves. Trust me, you want get anywhere with them hahaha :)

ozbuck

Juniors

Storm failed to adjust to game last week too. We rolled right over them.

Badly managed by the super coach that everyone creams their pants for. Hmmmm.

blacksafake

First Grade

The way I saw it at the game was you guys were consistently back only about 7-8 metres.

McInnes got away with about 5 forward passes. Yeah we got away with 1-2 but not 5.

One of your forwards knocked on attacking in the first half and they let him go back and play the ball. Please.... I had this Tigers guy next to me who was with his Souths mate who I know and was there for his mate and even he called out of frustration at that call.

Also Ah Mau' shot on Sam was slightly high and warranted a penalty. If Sam did that then he'd have been out on report most likely.

You guys are still the benchmark but if you wanna start pinning things on a couple of calls when you guys had a good run of calls considering it was an away game then you guys obviously don't wanna get better next week. Blaming the refs for that is an absolute cop out. We lost to Brisbane in Round 8 and I could've blamed the refs for one to two things but I realised we just did not tackle well enough.

In our game back in Round 5 I thought GI was taken without the ball and then Dufty got away with it and went the field. I thought it should've been a penalty to us. Plus other dodgy calls. It was our home game today and once again a mixture of calls. This is the first time I have mentioned it on the whole of LU though in regards to Round 5. Like I didn't cry over it as you guys were just that bit better that night and the better team won. I had to accept that! @ouryears
Let me start by saying the better side won & if you look at one of my posts early in the week i said that i thought your boys would win. You reckon only 1 thing went your way?
The 1st try was a metre forward from cook. Reynolds knocks on a metre from both touchy & pocket ref & lo & behold a penalty 3 tackles later in front 2 points. Kick hits upright & goes straight back to Reynolds(have you ever seen this before) who knocks on,3 tackles later a nothing kick ricochets & goes to where a souths player is minding his own business.Last try needs no explaining. Like i said the better team certainly won & deservedly so but you had one of those days when you could do no wrong,even Tom or was it George plucked a chip kick out of the air when they have been known to drop a few lol.
Good luck for the rest of the year for your fellas.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You guys deserved your win buddy.
Only gripe i had with the refs today was when u guys were 10 nill up and we had all the ball on your line, we got 5 penalties and you guys didn't even get a warning. Have they changed the sin bin rule in a week?
The guy in front of me had his sports ears in and told me next one we gave was going to the bin!
We played Dogs earlier this year and they gave away 6.

jeffdragon

Bench

You must have missed nene in a headlock tackle and Reynolds in every tackle all over them.
But not many penalties for that.
Souths have to be more consistent

giboz71

First Grade
We’ve been rarely behind this season.

This is where someone like Mann would have added value as an extra attacking ball player. Given Hunt was busted, we really needed him if we were to stage a comeback.

As soon as he went off, I knew we were no hope.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree with your comments Gareth but mate can you find a better word for Mary than the Maestro....we may be leading the comp at this stage but hes hardly a Maestro.....sort of belittles the true meaning of the word

Lol - I have always had this image ( imaginary of course ) of our beloved Mary getting right into the pycho's of the players and conducting them as one would do with an orchestra . But undoubtably yes - I do have a rather vivid imagination .:blush:

Lol - I have always had this image ( imaginary of course ) of our beloved Mary getting right into the pycho's of the players and conducting them as one would do with an orchestra . But undoubtably yes - I do have a rather vivid imagination .:blush:

Strange. I have visions of Mary in the dressing rooms standing in front of a big whiteboard with the message “JUST GO OUT THERE AND PLAY FOOTBALL” written on it in permanent marker.

Old Timer

Coach
Just a quick question?

A very good observation right there
JDB went back to his old fairy ways of prancing around like he had a carrot up his backside and pretending to be a ball player
He was like that 2 years ago and then suddenly last year the penny dropped “just run hard Jack” and he excelled but yesterday he was like JDB of old
Graham also became a ball hog like he was at the Dogs and making his usual 6 metres and getting a slow play the ball
The forwards did run the game much more than previous games and we looked the poorer for it

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor keeps things in perspective after 24-10 loss to South Sydney
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_0_4333_2975_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Ouch: Dragons halfback Ben Hunt battled on with a badly corked leg in his side's loss to South Sydney on Sunday. Picture: AAP Images
    When you’re top of the NRL table you can afford to keep your sense of humour in defeat.

“They’re the benchmark,” Dragons coach Paul McGregor quipped after his side were beaten 24-10 by South Sydney on Sunday.

A week after Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy had labelled his side the NRL’s best team, McGregor saw the Dragons turn in a poor performance against the resurgent Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium.

The Dragons were flat and lacked their usual bite in defence. They were punished for a sleepy start and were behind 12-0 inside six minutes.

The red V battled back and enjoyed decent stretches of possession and field position but were unable to get back within striking distance.

“They’re a good side. We knew before the game we were playing some quality opposition. They’ve got some big powerful forwards and speed out wide and experience through their whole side,” McGregor said.

“They’ve won six of their last eight games now. For us we knew what was coming. We played them four weeks ago and certainly took something out of that game. We thought we could do better today but we just didn’t manage. Statistically we probably looked alright but as I said to the boys there’s no statistic for intent or effort. They out enthused us a touch.”

McGregor said the lack of intensity was a blip rather than a concern given his side’s outstanding start to the season.

The Dragons remain top of the NRL table after 10 rounds and make the trip to Mudgee to face Canberra on Sunday. They then travel to Penrith before they enjoy their only bye of the season the weekend before State of Origin I in Melbourne on June 6.

“If [a lack of intensity] consistently happens it will [concern me] but it hasn’t happened before so not right now, no,” McGregor said.

“And we weren’t down that much we were just down a touch. And they scored a couple of quick tries on us and I thought we wrestled it back at different stages too. It wasn’t the full 80 minutes, I thought we won the fightback but we didn’t score that try that we needed.”

Dragons captain Gareth Widdop said the loss was a lesson his side needed to learn.

“It’s obviously a big challenge to be up each and every week,” he said.

“We got out enthused and [lacked] energy. They were more physical than us from the get go. It’s a big learning curve for us each and every week.

“We need to be switched on week to week and playing with energy and intent. So we’ll obviously review that but we’ll certainly move on.”

Ben Hunt is expected to play against Canberra despite suffering a bad cork to his leg, while Jack de Belin could be a doubt after failing to train last week.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5399480/dragons-keep-perspective-after-loss/?cs=3833

Galeforce

Bench
the loss SHOULD do Saints some good for balance of the season , assuming the coach learns from it.

As for those saying Souths had luck on their side to win , well I would suggest Souths should have won by 50 except for some loose passes , including the one that resulted in a Saints first try.Angus butchered a try as well with his kick when he had AJ steaming on the outside.

Both sides have plenty of room for improvement from that game.......Souths played a poor pressure game which almost allowed Saints back into the game.

ouryears

Bench
The commentators are still too busy going on about Nene's put down against the Roosters and poor Addo Carr's no try to mention the Bunnies blatant forward pass try.

At least they can't go on about the fact we have no injuries now.

They are so predictable.
We lost fair and square.
We need to suck it up and move on.
We have had our share of refs calls, I can't complain.
On the day, rabbits were a fair bit better.