What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifita chooses Tonga over NSW

OldPanther

Coach
NSW have decided to go in a new direction is all. They want to try going straight up the field this year.

gUt

Coach
Good

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fi...rrier-20180516-p4zfnc.html?platform=hootsuite

Fifita's Origin Blues dream alive, with Tonga allegiance no barrier

Cameron Smith's representative retirement caught everybody by surprise, but what will come as an even bigger shock is the revelation Andrew Fifita remains eligible to play for NSW in games one and three of this year's Origin series.

Most assumed Fifita had ditched the Blues entirely this year when he elected to play for Tonga in the Pacific Test. The Test against Samoa will be played just 24 hours before game two of the Origin series against Queensland in Sydney.

But Fairfax Media can reveal the eligibility rules allow Fifita to still make himself available for the MCG and Suncorp Stadium games – on June 6 and July 11 – provided Brad Fittler and the Blues want him.

Tonga remain a tier-two nation, despite their success at the World Cup where they got within a whisker of a dream final appearance, which means their players can also play for tier-one nations such as England, New Zealand and Australia, and are also eligible for NSW or Queensland.

While Fittler and the Blues may have reservations about a player who opted to pick Tonga in the first place, plenty of NSW fans will be thinking otherwise.

When asked in the press conference after Sunday's win over Canberra if he would contemplate a return to the NSW Origin side, Fifita said: “If they let me play [game] one and three.”

The front row Blues debate will only intensify should Fifita embarrass Blues contenders Aaron Woods and David Klemmer when Cronulla host Canterbury on Sunday afternoon. Fittler will have one of the best views from the sideline as part of Channel Nine's coverage.

You have to wonder what the Blues will do with Fifita should Woods, Klemmer or a player such as Penrith's Reagan Campbell-Gillard break down with injury.

The man himself half-jokingly said he was available for games one and three after Cronulla's win in Canberra on Sunday.

Fifita is arguably the form prop in the game, and at least one former Blues great believes it makes perfect sense to utilise the powerhouse for two games, rather than none.

Jason Stevens played eight games for NSW and was the starting prop alongside Fifita in Cronulla's team of the half century, and he told Fairfax Media on Wednesday night: "If Andrew plays that would send a shiver down Queensand's spine.''

"I'd pick him, 100 per cent, I'd have him in there in a heartbeat,'' Stevens said.

"He's the best prop in the game, and I think he has been for a while. Every time he carries the ball he needs three forwards to bring him down.

"He's got the agility of a winger, can pass before or through the line and has got that speed when playing the ball.''

Even former Maroons big bopper Sam Backo agreed Fifita should be considered by the Blues.

Backo, who played seven Origins for Queensland and scored three tries in the late 1980s, said: "He's proud of where he's come from and he's representing his country, but if he also qualifies for NSW, let him play for NSW.

"Front-rowers take time to mature. He's starting to mature. He's a big strapping lad who always looks awkward on the field, but he's strong and plays well.''

Fifita was on his way to a training camp in Rooty Hill with the Tongan team last year when he was diverted to Canberra at the last minute to link with Mal Meninga's Kangaroos for the Anzac Test.

Tongan coach Kristian Woolf said it up to Fifita if he also wanted to play for the Blues, but conceded: ''I don't think it would be a terrific look''.

"I do know Andrew is always welcome to play for Tonga,'' Woolf said. "He's come for the right reasons and you tend to play well when you play for the right reasons.

"Andrew has been outstanding. Without being around Cronulla, his coach [Shane Flanagan] deserves a lot of credit for the way Andrew has developed as a person and player and certainly as a leader.''

Former NSW hitman Mark Geyer was not a fan of Fifita being picked if he was unavailable for all three games.

"If you're in, you're in, and if you're out, you're out, otherewise you're taking a spot off someone like Campbell-Gillard or [Trent] Merrin, Paul Vaughan or Jack de Belin,'' Geyer said. "No one player is bigger than the game."

The Queensland pack has lost Matt Gillett and possibly Josh McGuire to injury, Matt Scott is one of several players out of form, while Smith was their heart and soul.

Good

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fi...rrier-20180516-p4zfnc.html?platform=hootsuite

Fifita's Origin Blues dream alive, with Tonga allegiance no barrier

Cameron Smith's representative retirement caught everybody by surprise, but what will come as an even bigger shock is the revelation Andrew Fifita remains eligible to play for NSW in games one and three of this year's Origin series.

Most assumed Fifita had ditched the Blues entirely this year when he elected to play for Tonga in the Pacific Test. The Test against Samoa will be played just 24 hours before game two of the Origin series against Queensland in Sydney.

But Fairfax Media can reveal the eligibility rules allow Fifita to still make himself available for the MCG and Suncorp Stadium games – on June 6 and July 11 – provided Brad Fittler and the Blues want him.

Tonga remain a tier-two nation, despite their success at the World Cup where they got within a whisker of a dream final appearance, which means their players can also play for tier-one nations such as England, New Zealand and Australia, and are also eligible for NSW or Queensland.

While Fittler and the Blues may have reservations about a player who opted to pick Tonga in the first place, plenty of NSW fans will be thinking otherwise.

When asked in the press conference after Sunday's win over Canberra if he would contemplate a return to the NSW Origin side, Fifita said: “If they let me play [game] one and three.”

The front row Blues debate will only intensify should Fifita embarrass Blues contenders Aaron Woods and David Klemmer when Cronulla host Canterbury on Sunday afternoon. Fittler will have one of the best views from the sideline as part of Channel Nine's coverage.

You have to wonder what the Blues will do with Fifita should Woods, Klemmer or a player such as Penrith's Reagan Campbell-Gillard break down with injury.

The man himself half-jokingly said he was available for games one and three after Cronulla's win in Canberra on Sunday.

Fifita is arguably the form prop in the game, and at least one former Blues great believes it makes perfect sense to utilise the powerhouse for two games, rather than none.

Jason Stevens played eight games for NSW and was the starting prop alongside Fifita in Cronulla's team of the half century, and he told Fairfax Media on Wednesday night: "If Andrew plays that would send a shiver down Queensand's spine.''

"I'd pick him, 100 per cent, I'd have him in there in a heartbeat,'' Stevens said.

"He's the best prop in the game, and I think he has been for a while. Every time he carries the ball he needs three forwards to bring him down.

"He's got the agility of a winger, can pass before or through the line and has got that speed when playing the ball.''

Even former Maroons big bopper Sam Backo agreed Fifita should be considered by the Blues.

Backo, who played seven Origins for Queensland and scored three tries in the late 1980s, said: "He's proud of where he's come from and he's representing his country, but if he also qualifies for NSW, let him play for NSW.

"Front-rowers take time to mature. He's starting to mature. He's a big strapping lad who always looks awkward on the field, but he's strong and plays well.''

Fifita was on his way to a training camp in Rooty Hill with the Tongan team last year when he was diverted to Canberra at the last minute to link with Mal Meninga's Kangaroos for the Anzac Test.

Tongan coach Kristian Woolf said it up to Fifita if he also wanted to play for the Blues, but conceded: ''I don't think it would be a terrific look''.

"I do know Andrew is always welcome to play for Tonga,'' Woolf said. "He's come for the right reasons and you tend to play well when you play for the right reasons.

"Andrew has been outstanding. Without being around Cronulla, his coach [Shane Flanagan] deserves a lot of credit for the way Andrew has developed as a person and player and certainly as a leader.''

Former NSW hitman Mark Geyer was not a fan of Fifita being picked if he was unavailable for all three games.

"If you're in, you're in, and if you're out, you're out, otherewise you're taking a spot off someone like Campbell-Gillard or [Trent] Merrin, Paul Vaughan or Jack de Belin,'' Geyer said. "No one player is bigger than the game."

The Queensland pack has lost Matt Gillett and possibly Josh McGuire to injury, Matt Scott is one of several players out of form, while Smith was their heart and soul.
Fitler shot that down a few hours ago.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Two reasons;

Probably thinks he has a chance to win now w half of the Queensland side has retired

Forgot about the $10,000 pay day

Eion

First Grade
Haha I love how this is now on Freddy’s shoulders. If the lose a game the pressure will build. Mind you, the Queensland forwards are pretty rubbish this year....even woods could look competent.

King hit

Coach
I wouldn't have Fifita in the side. Obvious his heart is with Tonga as he has pledged his allegiance to them.

Andrew Fifita is earning about 800k a year, if he played 2 games for NSW that's 20k. Something tells me he doesn't really give a f**k about earning an extra 2.5% more and is rather interested in helping the state he loves to achieve victory. Just because he pledged allegiance to Tonga and picked them over NSW doesn't mean he doesn't give a f**k about NSW.

OldPanther

Coach
Andrew Fifita is earning about 800k a year, if he played 2 games for NSW that's 20k. Something tells me he doesn't really give a f**k about earning an extra 2.5% more and is rather interested in helping the state he loves to achieve victory. Just because he pledged allegiance to Tonga and picked them over NSW doesn't mean he doesn't give a f**k about NSW.

Origin players get $40,000 a game. I think he does give a f**k about that.

Origin players get $40,000 a game. I think he does give a f**k about that.
Damn that's a lot. 40k per game, will be 80k for 2 games which is 10% of his annual salary and he's willing to donate all that to charity just to represent NSW. How can anyone question his passion and love for his state?

AJB1102

First Grade
Damn that's a lot. 40k per game, will be 80k for 2 games which is 10% of his annual salary and he's willing to donate all that to charity just to represent NSW. How can anyone question his passion and love for his state?

Because the media said he's a bad guy

OldPanther

Coach
80k to charity. That's a pretty f**king good gesture - just wonder how many of us on here that are questioning the guy has ever done that much for charity or would ever do something like this.

How many of us earn that much. Just on origin alone they get more than I do in an entire year.

I don't want him there because they're suppose to be doing a clean out. If Maloney isn't good enough and is one of the best halves in the comp right now Fifita shouldn't be there either.

AJB1102

First Grade
80k to charity. That's a pretty f**king good gesture - just wonder how many of us on here that are questioning the guy has ever done that much for charity or would ever do something like this.

I doubt Paul Kent rocks up on NRL360 out of the goodness of his heart. I equally doubt you'll see that merkin donating his earnings to anyone else.

Andrew has made some hefty mistakes. He is trying to atone for them. He's got a bad boy image from the media because he prefers to actually do good rather than tell a sob story to the media and let them make money off it. Seriously Packer and Lodge committed criminal acts but yapped to the media and gave them the redemption story to sell.

I seen Packer getting his dick kissed on League Life the other week. How he'd struggled his way back to making 7x what the average bloke does. What about the poor f**k who got his head stomped in?

Fifita gobs off to a ref and writes something on his wrist band that no one knows the meaning of until the DT go digging. Kent said it himself a couple years ago something like "until Andrew comes and tells us the whole story" blah blah - until he helps me sell papers f**k the merkin - in other words.

How many of us earn that much. Just on origin alone they get more than I do in an entire year.

I don't want him there because they're suppose to be doing a clean out. If Maloney isn't good enough and is one of the best halves in the comp right now Fifita shouldn't be there either.
Say you earned 80k and was given a 8k bonus at the end of the year, would you give that to charity?

The point about Maloney is of no relevance, he should be there full stop and I'm not arguing against that.

I doubt Paul Kent rocks up on NRL360 out of the goodness of his heart. I equally doubt you'll see that merkin donating his earnings to anyone else.

Andrew has made some hefty mistakes. He is trying to atone for them. He's got a bad boy image from the media because he prefers to actually do good rather than tell a sob story to the media and let them make money off it. Seriously Packer and Lodge committed criminal acts but yapped to the media and gave them the redemption story to sell.

I seen Packer getting his dick kissed on League Life the other week. How he'd struggled his way back to making 7x what the average bloke does. What about the poor f**k who got his head stomped in?

Fifita gobs off to a ref and writes something on his wrist band that no one knows the meaning of until the DT go digging. Kent said it himself a couple years ago something like "until Andrew comes and tells us the whole story" blah blah - until he helps me sell papers f**k the merkin - in other words.
Last name Kent - all you really need to know about the guy.

OldPanther

Coach
Say you earned 80k and was given a 8k bonus at the end of the year, would you give that to charity?

The point about Maloney is of no relevance, he should be there full stop and I'm not arguing against that.

If I earned that much maybe. I'm still doubtful Fifi will do it. Don't particularly hate him or anything just think people like money.

Last name Kent - all you really need to know about the guy.

I like him sometimes but the media have unjustly f**ked Fifita.

Latest posts