What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ireland's first ever test v Pakistan Dublin, May 11-15 2018

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Well done to Pakistan too for playing them.

Will Australia play Ireland at home prior to the ashes? Probably not, Sutherland has probably got a 12 match one day series against India in India lined up.

Front-Rower

First Grade
A lot of support for Ireland, I'd like to see them play out here maybe next winter but that would be too f**king hard for Sutherland to organise.

Congrats to them on their first test match.

I doubt we will be playing them anytime soon unfortunately in test cricket.

They will be shunned to the likes of Windies, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan for a while. Unless India need to get their averages up, at home..

JJ

Immortal
Pretty good first test for Ireland - they have a lot of talent, but they're all nearing retirement - should have happened years ago

My guess is they'll now be ignored, unfortunately - but good on the Pakis for adding a test at the start of their tour - don't see why other countries touring the UK couldn't do same

Timbo

Staff member
Another 50 runs and who knows - they really paid for that first innings collapse.

Well done to Ireland, I agree with others on here - it'd be fantastic to see them out here for a series, but there's no way the genius that is James Sutherland will organise that when he could play an ODI series against India or a T20 series in Burundi.

I think their lot in life for the next little while will be the odd home test as a warm-up match when countries tour England, with the occasional tour to places like the Windies and New Zealand who keep getting screwed by the bigger countries.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think they did pretty good tbh

Obviously not every country is Australia where we win our first test match.

We are supposed to actually play Ireland and Afghanistan in the next test program. So Ireland will probably be in the ashes series not in 2019 but the English ashes after that so 2023 ???

Timbo

Staff member
I think they did pretty good tbh

Obviously not every country is Australia where we win our first test match.

We are supposed to actually play Ireland and Afghanistan in the next test program. So Ireland will probably be in the ashes series not in 2019 but the English ashes after that so 2023 ???

Whilst I hope it goes ahead, we were also supposed to play tests against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh this year which were both replaced by mickey mouse T20 series.

Bazal

Post Whore
Another 50 runs and who knows - they really paid for that first innings collapse.

Well done to Ireland, I agree with others on here - it'd be fantastic to see them out here for a series, but there's no way the genius that is James Sutherland will organise that when he could play an ODI series against India or a T20 series in Burundi.

I think their lot in life for the next little while will be the odd home test as a warm-up match when countries tour England, with the occasional tour to places like the Windies and New Zealand who keep getting screwed by the bigger countries.

I do think, in a way, they are in a great position be able to be that warm up test, though. Sides like Bangladesh never had that for security and other reasons, where Ireland can just be like "hop over to Dublin for a few days and have a hit". Any test cricket helps and they'll be able to develop and challenge sides at home in swinging conditions.

I think they played well. There were clearly nerves and experience issues but that will go away with a few more matches.

Valheru

Coach
I'm optimistic that Australia (amongst others) will play Ireland in one off tests prior to series' against England. Is it really any less of a warm up then playing a county side?

The problem will be Ireland getting more than a one test series at home against decent opposition and getting a test anywhere away from home against decent opposition.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Whilst I hope it goes ahead, we were also supposed to play tests against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh this year which were both replaced by mickey mouse T20 series.
To be fair, the Zimbabwe tests in Zimbabwe were changed on their urging, both because they're uncompetitive in the longest format and financially playing tests will cripple them.