What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 Vs Newcastle

Kilkenny

Coach
I have absolutely no idea what money James Tamou is on but it is certainly no where near the figure of $750K per season as someone suggested on here some time back. My feeling is he would be earning in the vicinity of $500K per season over his four year contract.

Tamou is certainly playing a lot better in 2018 that he did last year, but probably not as well as he did when he was an automatic selection for NSW & Australia.

He is making a solid contribution along with all members of our forwards roster.

OldPanther

Coach
I have absolutely no idea what money James Tamou is on

it is certainly no where near the figure of $750K per season.

I have no idea followed by a statement of fact. :thinking:

None of us know really. It's all guesses. We can make an educated guess based on these facts:

1. Multiple clubs trying to sign him automatically increases value.

2. Automatic selection for NSW and Aus at the time.

3. GF winner after the GF year.

James Tamou doesn't come cheap at the time regardless how you think he's performed since.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have no idea followed by a statement of fact. :thinking:

As the media do, they pluck figures out of the air and there were suggestions Tamou was being paid 750K. As I recollect this was been refuted by Phil Gould sometime back who said we were not paying him anywhere near the reported amounts. So yes I have no idea, but I believe Phil Gould in that it is no where near the reported 750K.

I then said, quote, 'my feeling', only me, is his deal would be in the vicinity of 500K.

Kilkenny

Coach
LOL. Kilkenny will never concede that Gus made a bad signing.

Tamou is definitely close to 750k, he was an origin and kangaroo starter when he signed that deal.

Off the top of my head I think the worst signing made by Gus was Sika Manu. I am sure there are a few others I'll have a think about it and let you know.

Pomoz

Bench
As opposed to the difference at Panthers between 2016 and 2017? Our culture last year was terrible.
The real force behind our shift in culture was the club not taking shit from our players. Just like Ivan has done with Fonua. Griffin did last year by dropping guys who broke his rules. Hook/Gould pushed out or allowed alot of the guys who required extra attention to leave. Maloney and Tamou didnt change the culture. Moylan. Carty. Tmm. Hiku. Segeyaro. Etc. Leaving did. I aldo think the media attacking the team and our culture in the off season played its part in strengthening us.
Like most things in life, it is never that simple. It takes more than one thing to influence culture. Culture is the behaviours and accepted norms for a social group. The club not accepting shit certainly lets players know that they must follow the rules or expect to be dropped, no exceptions. But following rules is only one aspect of culture.

Game preparation and how hard you train are other aspects of culture that will help a sports teams succeed. Hayne is famous for being lazy at training, young players look up at him, that attitude is a cultural value that shouldn't be accepted. I am sure Hayne's lack of putting in at training will shorten his career, if it hasn't already. The Roosters credit SBW with improving their culture so much they won a premiership and not because of what he did on the field, but what he taught them off the field.

We cannot prove that Tamou has been a positive influence, but we can say that punishing players for breaking the rules is not the only aspect of culture. I accept those with better judgement than me thought Tamou was worth signing and his teammates talk highly of him. His arrival has coincided with our young forwards improving. Statistically there is probably no proof of correlation, but that doesn't mean there isn't some.

As for Petero, I never said he didn't play well. Indeed, he continued to belt out the metres and rack up the tackles. Did he influence the players and make them better players? I don't know, I just don't think his time at the club was a good period, full stop. It could all be down to the coach, we will never know. When he left I don't think the club missed him and during his time here the club didn't perform well. Most of the good players from his time here, left the club not long after. That is the most damning fact. He certainly didn't help Jennings and Lewis develop a professional attitude.

Pomoz

Bench
Which could also be very easily taught by a forwards coach
No it can't. That's the point. Tamou is in the trenches with them, showing them how its done. Showing them what to do to prepare for games. A forwards coach know's the theory and indeed, might be an ex-player themselves, but nothing beats rubbing shoulders with a guy who has been there, done that and is stood next to you every day at training, putting in the hard yards.

mxlegend99

Referee
No it can't. That's the point. Tamou is in the trenches with them, showing them how its done. Showing them what to do to prepare for games. A forwards coach know's the theory and indeed, might be an ex-player themselves, but nothing beats rubbing shoulders with a guy who has been there, done that and is stood next to you every day at training, putting in the hard yards.
He isnt in our top 5 forwards on the field. RCG. Mez. Kikau. Yeo and JFH all more crucial to our pack. Bringing something others don't. Tamou sits in the same category as CHN, Leota, Mckendry etc. as solid players who are interchangeable.

If you want to believe Gus went out and targeted a premiership winning representative forward on huge money to play a minor role on the field then thats fine. But do you really believe that he's performing the way Gus wanted him to? Cutting through sll the bullshit. Do you think he's performing as expected?

For me theres simply no way he has delivered on what Gus and Hook thought he would. For all the things he brings to the club. He's not bringing the most important thing a star player should bring. The form he was signed for. We expected an elite forward

Merrin has done so for the most part. But he did have a largely forgettable 2017 season where he was well down on his standards. Maloney is currently being the ultimate example of what those sorts of players should bring to a team.

If the clubs in a bidding war for him could see what he delivered. I think he would be lucky to get half of what he did. But each to his own. Hopefully he finds peak form for us and makes everyone happy.

Brent Kite was everything you just said. You can get those sorts of players for f**k all money. If form on the field is secondary to all that.

Last edited:

Abacus

Juniors
L

He isnt in our top 5 forwards on the field. RCG. Mez. Kikau. Yeo and JFH all more crucial to our pack. Bringing something others don't. Tamou sits in the same category as CHN, Leota, Mckendry etc. as solid players who are interchangeable.

If you want to believe Gus went out and targeted a premiership winning representative forward on huge money to play such a small part in our pack on the field simply because he has the same experience Merrin does then you can believe that. But do you really believe that he's performing the way Gus wanted him to?

For me theres simply no way he has delivered on what Gus and Hook thought he would. For all the things he brings to the club. He's not bringing the most important thing a star player should bring. The form he was signed for. We expected an elite forward

Merrin has done so for the most part. But he did have a largely forgettable 2017 season where he was well down on his standards. Maloney is currently being the ultimate example of what those sorts of players should bring to a team.

If we needed an experienced guy off the field who can simply play with them we can add another Brent Kite style signing. Has the runs on the board. The experience etc. Aswell as being on the field in the trenches with them.

If the clubs in a bidding war for him could see what he delivered. I think he would be lucky to get half of what he did. But each to his own. Hopefully he finds peak form for us and makes everyone happy.

Gus and Hook would be over the moon with Tamou - both performance on the field and his influence off the field.

Your one dimensional assessment of players is becoming laughable - almost bunniesman-esque.

mxlegend99

Referee
Gus and Hook would be over the moon with Tamou - both performance on the field and his influence off the field.

Your one dimensional assessment of players is becoming laughable - almost bunniesman-esque.
So over the moon he has been demoted to the bench and gets less minutes? You think we signed him for that?

Now that's laughable.

He's our highest paid forward. He was near his peak when we signed him. You dont sign a player like that for the role he currently has.

Its not to say his current role isnt important. But you can find far cheaper players with experience to do it. He got top dollar because we wanted a bloke leading our pack. A dominant front rower laying the platform for a premiership.

Abacus

Juniors
So over the moon he has been demoted to the bench and gets less minutes? You think we signed him for that?

Now that's laughable.

He's our highest paid forward. He was near his peak when we signed him. You dont sign a player like that for the role he currently has.

Its not to say his current role isnt important. But you can find far cheaper players sith experience to do it. He got top dollar because we wanted a bloke leading our pack. A dominant front rower laying the platform for a premiership.
OK, this is just getting sad now.

mxlegend99

Referee
You can have your opinion. I'll have mine.

What's sad is the desperation people have to attack any opinion that isnt all glowing praise for our club or its current players. Youre not even offering up a discussion. You're just attacking an opposing opinion where I have atleast explained myself.

But the second Tamou is not a Panther he will be the worst player in the history of the game. Hiku was equally defended while here and everyone finally agreed he was a dud once he left.

OldPanther

Coach

Why is that opinion sad? The club bought a premiership winning prop who slowly degraded to a minor bench role in 2 years. If that's on purpose as he helps our developing props why out bid other clubs for him? Seems a waste of money when we have Merrin and could buy another prop cheaper and He's 29. He should be still at a high standard for a prop demanding a starting role.

Abacus

Juniors
You can have your opinion. I'll have mine.

What's sad is the desperation people have to attack any opinion that isnt all glowing praise for our club or its current players. Youre not even offering up a discussion. You're just attacking an opposing opinion where I have atleast explained myself.

But the second Tamou is not a Panther he will be the worst player in the history of the game. Hiku was equally defended while here and everyone finally agreed he was a dud once he left.
I've provided my opinion and reasoning in depth in previous posts.

Your refusal to assess anything other than on-field stats or his jersey number is mind-numbing.

If you can't see that a leaders role goes beyond their own performance and stats, then that is when it becomes sad - or excellent trolling.

mxlegend99

Referee
I never said a leaders role didnt go beyond that. Im saying that if on field form doesn't matter you can get that from far cheaper players who can still do exactly what he does off the bench.

We had that in Brent Kite. Each to his own. I think in paying top dollar for a player we should expect him to play near or at his best for us on the field.

Maloney is doing what I expect Tamou to do. Leading our team around like a f**king boss on and off the field.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I never said a leaders role didnt go beyond that. Im saying that if on field form doesn't matter you can get that from far cheaper players who can still do exactly what he does off the bench.

We had that in Brent Kite. Each to his own. I think in paying top dollar for a player we should expect him to play near or at his best for us on the field.

Maloney is doing what I expect Tamou to do. Leading our team around like a f**king boss on and off the field.

In reality Kite played very few games for the Panthers as he had a career ending injury and retired soon after, so using Kite as an analogy works. Use Petro if you must, and Tamou's record against him stacks up quite well. Petro was part of the group attempting to undermine the board when Gus 1st came on board, (and left soon after)

As others had said (including some commentators) Tamou when he comes on from the bench helps stiffen everything up and straighten both attack and defence.

I get the fact you don't like Tamou (for whatever reason) but continually saying he's not doing his job description (and yes possibly that has changed as the local forwards have matured) is just not true.

Kilkenny

Coach
Good bloke Brent Kite. Use to see him at golf every Wednesday but haven't seen him for a while. I think he is coaching in the country somewhere.

superpanther

Juniors
In reality Kite played very few games for the Panthers as he had a career ending injury and retired soon after, so using Kite as an analogy works. Use Petro if you must, and Tamou's record against him stacks up quite well. Petro was part of the group attempting to undermine the board when Gus 1st came on board, (and left soon after)

As others had said (including some commentators) Tamou when he comes on from the bench helps stiffen everything up and straighten both attack and defence.

I get the fact you don't like Tamou (for whatever reason) but continually saying he's not doing his job description (and yes possibly that has changed as the local forwards have matured) is just not true.

Good point!!

I don't really know what people expect from Tamou or perhaps 1000m per game, 100 Hitups, 100 tackles and 3 tries!!!! There will always be someone that the fans will pick on!!!

Latest posts