What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Are Now Contenders (As of Round 11)

Fangs

Coach
Yes.

Part of me still doubted whether we could take it out in 2018 (One-eyed fans take a hike - Yes you). Now everyone will cross the floor.

Not the biggest test we will face, but we easily accounted for the Tigers. And they aren't dogshit like they were last year.

Tooting my horn before the Dragons game next week and I will toot it louder tomorrow. We have arrived.

mxlegend99

Referee
Lowest standard of NRL in some time for mine. No team looks a class above. We sit equal first having not come close to reaching our potential and having a huge injury toll

Fangs

Coach
Lowest standard of NRL in some time for mine. No team looks a class above. We dit equal firsy having not comr vlise yorezchinh our potential and having a huge injury toll

Yes it is. It has been getting lower every year for a while.

However we can only play whats in front of us. And this year we are ready to take it.

Toot thou horn.

Munky

Coach
How the f**k did we go 8 and 3 in 2003, weren't we 1 and 3 at the beginning of the season?

The Teach

Juniors
You are correct Munky, but we won our next 8 games after losing to Canberra in round 4 of 2003.

tripster

Juniors
I’d love it to be the case but don’t want to get too far ahead of myself. I think we will have a better idea once we play the Dragons next week.

However, if we are to win the GF, we need to be able to beat the Storm. Not because the Storm will necessarily be in the GF itself but because there is a really good chance that they are one of the teams we have to beat in the finals to make it there.

There is a real risk that both the Storm and us finish in the top 4 and we have to play them in the first game. In typical bullshit NRL fashion we will also lose any home ground advantage for that final - if we finish 2nd and Storm 3rd for example, we won’t be playing them at Penrith but at ANZ.

Storm seem to be our kryptonite. They still get away with murder in the ruck and slow things down in a way that has a habit of completely stifling our attack. It is also always hard to score points against them, and all it will take is half a break from Josh Addo Car and they score. I seriously hope, because I loathe them so much, that they get a few season ending injuries, but they always seem blessed in the injury department as well.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Speaking of facing the Storm. If we both make the top 4 as it looks like now. There's a 33% chance we face them 2 weeks in a row.

That would suck.

Last edited:

tripster

Juniors
Speaking of facing the Stotm. If we both make the top 4 as it looks like now. There's a 33% chance we face them 2 weeks in a row.

That would suck.

Exactly. What a great way to finish a (hopefully great year) by losing in the final round of the regular season, then losing the first final, to then have to play 2 sudden death games to make the grand final, and possibly meet the Storm again in the GF.

Hopefully they get busted for some absolutely massive cheating this year that is such a blight on the game that they are booted out of the comp completely mid season.

mxlegend99

Referee
Exactly. What a great way to finish a (hopefully great year) by losing in the final round of the regular season, then losing the first final, to then have to play 2 sudden death games to make the grand final, and possibly meet the Storm again in the GF.

Hopefully they get discovered for some more absolutely massive cheating this year and booted out of the comp completely.
I just hope if it happens we can manage atleast one win. Week 1 of finals.

Bit like last year against Manly

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes.

Part of me still doubted whether we could take it out in 2018 (One-eyed fans take a hike - Yes you). Now everyone will cross the floor.

Not the biggest test we will face, but we easily accounted for the Tigers. And they aren't dogshit like they were last year.

Tooting my horn before the Dragons game next week and I will toot it louder tomorrow. We have arrived.

For me we still have the same same problem can't keep the same squad on the field for long period. I said all along if we had Blake the last 2 semis we make PF.

This year we can go further assuming we stay fit

age.s

First Grade
I've been as scarred as anyone by our repeated folding against the Storm over the last decade. But there's every chance that they'll be dreading facing us two weeks in a row at the end of the year far more than the reverse.

Exsilium

First Grade
I’m not convinced yet but we’re definitely making the right noises.

Next week will be the real test. If we can beat the Dragons then we will be the benchmark.

Abacus

Juniors
I've been as scarred as anyone by our repeated folding against the Storm over the last decade. But there's every chance that they'll be dreading facing us two weeks in a row at the end of the year far more than the reverse.
Wasn't there a stat earlier in the year that teams (except lol@souffs) predominantly lost the week after playing us? That'd be a nice stat to throw up at the end of the year if qe were facing Storm back-to-back.

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m not convinced yet but we’re definitely making the right noises.

Next week will be the real test. If we can beat the Dragons then we will be the benchmark.
Need to see more games with the halves together before we will see where we sit though a win next week will put us into favourism I say

Exsilium

First Grade
Need to see more games with the halves together before we will see where we sit though a win next week will put us into favourism I say

I think it will be a bruising battle.

Merrin against his old team.

Origin hopefuls in Vaughan, Frizz, RCG etc.

I think JFH and Tariq Sims will go hammer and tongs at one another.

snickers007

Juniors
Wasn't there a stat earlier in the year that teams (except lol@souffs) predominantly lost the week after playing us? That'd be a nice stat to throw up at the end of the year if qe were facing Storm back-to-back.

Yep 7 from 9 teams have lost the week after they played us. Souths and Sharks are the only ones to win on the rebound.

Not sure how much I believe that it's a hangover from playing us - probably more an indictment on the quality and form of the teams we've played thus far. Sharks and Rabbits are probably the only teams that will be playing in September (we'll see how the Knights go this week against Gold Coast).

Across the 25 rounds, the big winners are Manly, Cronulla, Tigers and Raiders who follow us 3 times each.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it will be a bruising battle.

Merrin against his old team.

Origin hopefuls in Vaughan, Frizz, RCG etc.

I think JFH and Tariq Sims will go hammer and tongs at one another.

Being at home gives us a lift worth probably 10 points. halves get another few sessions together too should be a great game

OldPanther

Coach
Being at home gives us a lift worth probably 10 points. halves get another few sessions together too should be a great game

It's a Saturday game right? Long turnaround will be good for Cleary/Maloney.

Are we allowed to think we are contenders now? I'm so cautious of being optimistic as a Panthers fan haha. I'll wait till next week but it's looking good.

Latest posts