What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Do we actually have the money to sign Klemmer?

Yes, we have plenty of contract, but none of them are on such big coin as to open up a sizeable hole in our cap that Klemmer would require.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Yes, we have plenty of contract, but none of them are on such big coin as to open up a sizeable hole in our cap that Klemmer would require.

I say yes, first Edwards will probably be sacked so that frees up $300k or so.

So we would have to bring in an edge to replace him, we have potential cheap options in T. rex / stone / NK and maybe Salmon.

Plus with salmon signing for a few years, he wouldn’t affect our cap. Plus has Stone signed for 1 or 2 years? If more then one he probably has already been budgeted for.

We could potentially just not sign Hayne and replace him with DA on a small contract.

Jennings could be resigned for a small contract to.

Peni / Scott / Matagi / vave / Gower are all middle forwards off contract, so surely BA and his brains trust has at least budgeted a minimum $500k to replace them (probably more). Additionally Stone / Kaufusi could be cheap options to provide cover in the middle.

Maloney / Pritchard wouldn’t cost much as hooker cover.

Additionally BA has also said they were looking for another prop signing (for this year), so we could potentially front load a contract.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

I reckon Beau Scott would be on a fair bit, like 500-600k. But also looking at our cap for next year who would be our highest paid players? Moses, Norman, Ma'u, Paulo, Jennings? Would any of them be over 850k?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It's only a small part of your reply but I reckon we'll re-sign Hayne to a similar amount and bring Aukafolau in for Auva'a. Dane has really impressed me this season after a lacklustre ending to 2017.

I would keep all three for the right price with DA moving into the top 30 replacing Davis. That gives us three players to cover wing / centre.

Also if GL can get onto the field and at least show some form that indicates he could play NRL, I would seriously consider telling Hoffman he is free to leave, that would also free up some cash (even if we chip in some money for his contract at another club). Jennings has jumped Hoffman as a starting winger now so it’s a waste having him play NSW cup.

Glenneel

Bench
FFS!! You really think BA has put the cheque book away? We have several players off contract (matagi , Hayne, T. rex , Peni, king, Pritchard, vave, gower, Jennings, KA, Davis, hayne .......) so he has to go shopping or do you think we are going to have a squad of 20?
As I've said earlier I think we should build a good squad of at least 17 players and fill the rest with journeymen and juniors.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
As I've said earlier I think we should build a good squad of at least 17 players and fill the rest with journeymen and juniors.

Like BA has done, our back ups are:

Journey man (apart from Peni they have all played for a few clubs)

Gower
Smith (is never a definite selection)
Peni
Matagi
Vave
T. rex (was a back up)
Jennings (was a back up)
Davis
King
KA

And apart from smith they are all off contract.

Juniors
NK (yes not our junior but is a rookie)
GL
Stone
DA
Maloney
Salmon
GL

Glenneel

Bench
Boyds been ok but nothing exceptional. I would of thought 600- 750k get the best props in game. But only guessing.
Id say 600k for Boyd is ok if gets back to form is a decent price. Paulo has more upsode and more damaging.
Everyone is saying how Boyd isn't much chop, but this is the way players go after being under RS for some time. I'm sure any other coach will get him playing much better

Glenneel

Bench
He does seem driven by an agenda for coach replacement at any cost.
If your mentioning me my agenda only started driving after we lost to the Dogs. Thought they'd be specials for the spoon but currently we have one hand firmly on the handle whilst they have almost let go. FFS how could the Dogs beat us? They have the most pedestrian attack in the league but we made them look good. FFS again, this season is a death by a thousand cuts!

Glenneel

Bench
Really, the squad assembled under BA has been bits and pieces left over from other teams and built on a shoe string. He assembled a pack of small forwards with virtually no offloading. I want a top 17 of first grade players (not reserve grade standard) capable of challenging for a title and we've never had that. If you think we have you have rocks in your head.

hindy111

Post Whore
I reckon Beau Scott would be on a fair bit, like 500-600k. But also looking at our cap for next year who would be our highest paid players? Moses, Norman, Ma'u, Paulo, Jennings? Would any of them be over 850k?

Most people on here when signed said 400k. And we got cheap. You may even of been one of them but that figures been thrown around heaps.
Funny when leaving and it suits the discussion 200k gets added.

emjaycee

Coach
For 2019 and beyond i would be looking at releasing Norman if possible and relying on Moses, Salmon, Gutho and Hayne and even W. Smith to cover our halves needs until Dylan Brown is ready for FG.

Assuming Scott isn't re-signed and Edwards is sacked, our edge can be made up of Tepai, Marata, TRex, Taka, Manu with one astute buy from outside.

Middle forwards Mannah, Alvaro, Evans, Junior, Brownie, Stone, Terepo, Gower and one more buy (Klemmer maybe).

Fullback options are French, Gutho, Hayne and Smith.

Wingers GL, Gennings, Hoffman and we buy another.

Centres Mennings, DA, Kirisome with Gutho, Taka and Salmon as backups.

Hooker I reckon we keep Kaysa and King but give Reed Mahoney first crack.

TOP 30 SQUAD with 17 forwards and 13 backs:
Gutho
Hayne
French
Hoffman
Gennings
Mennings
DA
Kirisome
GL
Moses
Salmon
Smith
Kritchard
King
Evans
Mannah
Alvaro
Mau
Brown
Williams
Niukore
Stone
Gower
Taka
Paulo
Moeroa
Mahoney
New Middle Forward
New Edge Forward
New Winger

My Round 1 Top 17 from that list:

1. Gutho
2. French
3. Hayne
4. Mennings
5. Gennings
6. Salmon
7. Moses
8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. Alvaro
11. Mau
12. Moeroa
13. Brown
14. Klemmer (we wish)
15. Niukore
16. Williams
17. Mannah

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
For 2019 and beyond i would be looking at releasing Norman if possible and relying on Moses, Salmon, Gutho and Hayne and even W. Smith to cover our halves needs until Dylan Brown is ready for FG.

Assuming Scott isn't re-signed and Edwards is sacked, our edge can be made up of Tepai, Marata, TRex, Taka, Manu with one astute buy from outside.

Middle forwards Mannah, Alvaro, Evans, Junior, Brownie, Stone, Terepo, Gower and one more buy (Klemmer maybe).

Gutho
Hayne
French
Hoffman
Gennings
Mennings
DA
Kirisome
GL
Moses
Salmon
Smith
Kritchard
King
Evans
Mannah
Alvaro
Mau
Brown
Williams
Niukore
Stone
Gower
Taka
Paulo
Moeroa
Mahoney
New Middle Forward
New Edge Forward
New Winger

1. Gutho
2. French
3. Hayne
4. Mennings
5. Gennings
6. Salmon
7. Moses
8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. Alvaro
11. Mau
12. Moeroa
13. Brown
14. Klemmer (we wish)
15. Niukore
16. Williams
17. Mannah

Looks good.

With that squad why waste money on another winger, KA / Hayne / DA / French also provide cover there.

Don’t reckon we will keep King. BA only went with 2 hookers this year, so with Maloney / Pritchard I don’t think he would go with a third. Plus smith provides cover and there is that young dude with huge potential apparently but is injured now - I think it was mentioned he may be training with nrl squad during the offseason.

I wouldn’t be letting Norman go.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I would keep all three for the right price with DA moving into the top 30 replacing Davis. That gives us three players to cover wing / centre.

Also if GL can get onto the field and at least show some form that indicates he could play NRL, I would seriously consider telling Hoffman he is free to leave, that would also free up some cash (even if we chip in some money for his contract at another club). Jennings has jumped Hoffman as a starting winger now so it’s a waste having him play NSW cup.

If he's willing to sign on for a similar amount then possibly. I'm not a fan of him. For his size I think he does little to ruck the ball out, he should be making 120m a game but is only averaging 98m in his 6 first grade games this year, making 100m or more in only 3 of them. George Jennings on the other hand is averaging 115m making 100m or more in 4 games out of 7 and 3 of those making over 150m. Of course there're other indicators to a good winger but for someone his size that's really poor from Auva'a.

84 Baby

Referee

Gutho
Hayne
French
Hoffman
Gennings
Mennings
DA
Kirisome
GL
Moses
Salmon
Smith
Kritchard
King
Evans
Mannah
Alvaro
Mau
Brown
Williams
Niukore
Stone
Gower
Taka
Paulo
Moeroa
Mahoney
New Middle Forward
New Edge Forward
New Winger

1. Gutho
2. French
3. Hayne
4. Mennings
5. Gennings
6. Salmon
7. Moses
8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. Alvaro
11. Mau
12. Moeroa
13. Brown
14. Klemmer (we wish)
15. Niukore
16. Williams
17. Mannah
Why would you release Norman only to wait longer for Brown, especially since Norman only has a year left on contract? If it was because Salmon was more a genuine 1st grade 5/8th is one thing or if you could swap Norman for a better player in another position, but even then if the new player plus replacement 5/8th doesn't cover you for the loss of Norman's output then why bother?

84 Baby

Referee
Jack Hethrington we should look at. Has size and runs hard.
Let me guess, you've seen him play at most 4 times?

Fun fact though, his dad is former Raider/Cowboy Brett Hetherington, which means his uncles are former Charger/Dog/Canetoad/Kangaroo Jason Hetherington & former Raider/Rooster/Cockroach/Kangaroo Brett Mullins, which means his grandfather is former Rooster Bill Mullins

Latest posts