What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

hutch

First Grade
Parra v warriors at 6pm on a Friday night at anz is just bad scheduling. They should be targeting nz passport holders or letting kids in free to boost the crowd, or have taken it to a rural venue.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Parra v warriors at 6pm on a Friday night at anz is just bad scheduling. They should be targeting nz passport holders or letting kids in free to boost the crowd, or have taken it to a rural venue.
The eels are already taking a game to Darwin. I think the warriors would be a good club to take rural but I wouldn’t know where.

Also great crowd at Penrith last night hopefully they can pack the joint out against the dragons next week

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I’m sure you are bright enough to work this out... The ANZAC round had two games played on the public holiday Wednesday..,doubt you will see that happen the Wednesday before Mother’s Day...
No shit.

I've already described previously how it could work - put a Warriors game on at 3pm NZT Saturday which is 1pm AEST.

1pm - 3pm - 5:30pm - 7:35pm Saturday. That takes away the Sunday 2pm game and leaves just the Sunday 4:10pm which is a statutory requirement for Ch 9.

BuffaloRules

Coach
No shit.

I've already described previously how it could work - put a Warriors game on at 3pm NZT Saturday which is 1pm AEST.

1pm - 3pm - 5:30pm - 7:35pm Saturday. That takes away the Sunday 2pm game and leaves just the Sunday 4:10pm which is a statutory requirement for Ch 9.

It aint just about Channel 9.... Fox go without the 2pm game on the Sunday for the Anzac Day and Easter rounds because they get to show other games on public holiday weekdays..

The ratings for Sat 1pm time (AEST) would be appalling... and for what ... to get another 5K people through the gate?

Timmah

Staff member
It aint just about Channel 9.... Fox go without the 2pm game on the Sunday for the Anzac Day and Easter rounds because they get to show other games on public holiday weekdays..

The ratings for Sat 1pm time (AEST) would be appalling... and for what ... to get another 5K people through the gate?
....then we put two shit games on Mother's Day and accept the result.

I think we're on the same page about this and you're arguing semantics. Either way, we agree Mother's Day is a shit attendance day, no?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Is it safe to say that the NRL are (kind of) doing something right with Thursday night lately? Suburban Sydney grounds and Newcastle seem to be drawing good crowds in that timeslot. I accept that there have been some shockers but it seems that they may be starting to get the formula right.

Springs09

Juniors
Is it safe to say that the NRL are (kind of) doing something right with Thursday night lately? Suburban Sydney grounds and Newcastle seem to be drawing good crowds in that timeslot. I accept that there have been some shockers but it seems that they may be starting to get the formula right.

Newcastle haven't had any, they fill the Friday 6pm slot well though.

I would say the last 2 Friday nights have been good, but we've had clashes like Roosters/Rabbitohs, Sharks/Dragons and Dogs/Roosters drawing far below what they should.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Newcastle haven't had any, they fill the Friday 6pm slot well though.

I would say the last 2 Friday nights have been good, but we've had clashes like Roosters/Rabbitohs, Sharks/Dragons and Dogs/Roosters drawing far below what they should.

Yes, true sorry, my mistake - Newy have done a couple of 6pm Friday shifts

Perth Red

Post Whore

Not really, form and opponent is covering for the sht spot to some degree. Team with form or opponent boost 13-15k, the norm 11-12k seems to be a pattern emerging this year.

This years Thursdays so far (AS = All sydney clash)
Rd1 Dragons 14,457
Rd2 Sharks (AS) 13,517
Rd3 Melbourne 12,866
Rd4 NQ 11,907
Rd5 Canberra 11,800
Rd6 Roosters (AS) 15,242
Rd7 Bulldogs (AS) 11,309
Rd8 Souths 11,123
Rd9 Broncos 22,225
Rd10 Wests 13,127
Rd11 Panthers (AS) 15,081
Rd 12 Broncos
Rd 13 Manly
Rd 14 (Monday night) Bulldogs (AS)
Rd15 Eels (AS)

At least the pain is being spread around evenly! The impact could be negated better with better scheduling but looks like the NRL control thing was a complete furphy. eg Broncos losing at least 10k when they play on a Thursday, SHarks v Dragons losing 6k compared to a better slot, Bulldogs losing 5k etc. We have to accept this slot is costing crowds but harm minimisation would be a good thing!

Timmah

Staff member
The NRL gaining control wasn't ever going to result in scheduling perfection, and the key things they've been able achieve relate to things like minimising turnaround and not having things like Brisbane on *every* Friday night and themselves more input into the draw rather than Fox/9 choosing everything.

The problem remains the timeslots themselves which the NRL can't do much about without risking the value of the broadcast deal.

Billythekid

First Grade
That defeats the purpose of the 6pm Friday game.

Assuming that even works. The Friday 8pm game doesn't have anymore higher of a share for fox than the other FTA matches. Essentially anyone who has access to fox sports is going to watch it there anyway.

Plus they could easily just have more pre game content to entice people in.

Friday 6pm on Fox could be easily flipped to a 6pm Sunday game and IMO would rate better and get better attendances.

We just need more Sunday content whatever the timeslot. I'm convinced that the ratings would be good if we really make a push.