What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Islands

hutch

First Grade
It was always going to happen, our sport is too slow and has no vision for growing the game. It has always been clubs first, the sport second. We’ve been talking about the Fijian nsw Cup team for over 3 years with still no confirmation, it took a decade to get one rep weekend for Pacific nations which is still being played in western Sydney instead of the islands (or Auckland to build on the rlwc) and will take a decade or more to get more mid season games for these countries.

And union will beat us to the USA as well if they already havnt.
Sorry for the negativity but it’s hard being a rugby league fan with an international vision, things move way too slowly!

latingringo101

Juniors
The NRL has implemented the NRL Pacific Strategy since 2014 with the help from the Australian government. Plus they've run the Pacific Test since 2013 so you can't exactly say they've done nothing.

Also isn't the Fiji NSWRL team ready for the 2019 season?

adamkungl

Immortal
The lack of a Pacific Cup tournament this year and the seeming lack of Pacific WC qualifying series is incompetence bordering on sabotage.

Springs09

Juniors
Really by January there should have been plans for a Tonga v NZ rematch in Auckland and a full Pacific Cup with at least 1 game in each country.

If NZ denied Tonga's request for a test match then that's really quite shortsighted and selfish of NZ. If Tonga didn't approach NZ and just waited for someone to approach them then that's just stupid from Tonga.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
NZ should have played Tonga and Samoa/Cook Islands leading into the England Test.

Playing Pacific Tests in the west of Sydney is BS and just a money grab....we need internationals in the Pacific.

Fiji have a good stadium as does PNG and Tonga have had their stadium redeveloped into a top line ground to host tier one union internationals.

But we'd rather play in Qatar because big Mal reckons it's a good idea.

clarency

Juniors
There is no chance of this happening. Super Rugby is barely paying for itself and NZRU have admitted a few days ago they are about to go broke as it looks more and more likely that South Africa will be moving tho the European Leagues.

Case in point, the Pacific Island region has no future in the professional sport business unless a philanthropist comes forward to burn money on it. There are plenty of PI's traveling to Aus/NZ to follow their professional sporting ambitions already so there is little motivation to explore the region.

This has and always will be a news story, and a news story alone.

Te Kaha

First Grade
There is no chance of this happening. Super Rugby is barely paying for itself and NZRU have admitted a few days ago they are about to go broke as it looks more and more likely that South Africa will be moving tho the European Leagues.

Case in point, the Pacific Island region has no future in the professional sport business unless a philanthropist comes forward to burn money on it. There are plenty of PI's traveling to Aus/NZ to follow their professional sporting ambitions already so there is little motivation to explore the region.

This has and always will be a news story, and a news story alone.

There is nothing in that post that is actually true or factual. I am amazed that you managed to get every single statement wrong.

Parra

Referee
Simple issue is that there are not enough televison sets in these countries for either code to do anything seriously. Now that $$$ are more important than sport this will not change. It is grossly unfair given the contribution these countries make.

Pommy

Coach
True...that's why the league should cover costs.

Isn't St.George playing in Fiji next year?

News to me but I hope so.

The league is also a buisness though, any money they lose in the islands is money they can’t invest here. I’m not saying i’m against it but the clubs will be.
The NRL aren’t bothered about developing the international game so what do they stand to benefit from it?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
News to me but I hope so.

The league is also a buisness though, any money they lose in the islands is money they can’t invest here. I’m not saying i’m against it but the clubs will be.
The NRL aren’t bothered about developing the international game so what do they stand to benefit from it?

Nothing....but until the IRLF is making big bucks which they are trying to the NRL needs to step up. League isn't structured like soccer with FIFA or other sports.

How about the NRL get imaginative and get a deal with local governments or TV broadcasters etc. Even bloody AFL put money into their international programmes and they have no chance. It's about the game first not a f'n profit for goodness sake.

Latest posts