What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Napa sin bin

What should the refs have done?

• Send-off

Votes: 39 36.4%
  • Sin-bin

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • On report and penalty

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Scrum to roosters

Votes: 33 30.8%

• Total voters
Was he binned for the tackle or for carrying on like a bellend when the ref put him on report? The tackle was reckless, clearly lead with the head (whether it was intentional or not I don't know), and had a sickening result. If he was binned for dissent I don't have a problem with it, but if it was for foul play I wish we could get some consistency with the use of the bin.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Here's another angle of the incident

hPd4wwJ.gif

aqua_duck

Coach
So let me get this right, just in the past 12 months we've had players get done for grade 2 and 3 shoulder charges, grade 2 reckless high tackles, and a reckless high tackle so bad it was referred straight to the judiciary without charge and yet not one of those players was sin binned (nor sent off). The tackle itself you can argue about intent or not but it's the use of the sin bin in this manner which absolutely makes no sense to me and has not been used in this way for well over a decade.

mave

Coach
The only consistent thing about the NRL is it's own complete lack of consistency.

And that, seemingly, will never change.

Dangerous tackle, yes.
Reportable offence, yes let the MRC sort it out.
Sin bin, well from May 2018 onwards, apparently yes as well. I look foward fo all reportable offence being binned for 10 going foward.

carcharias

Immortal
I wonder if it had been Thaiday on Cronk
Would roosters fans still be calling an injustice?

Ref was probably correct this time and wrong most other times if you were to play by the rules.

Card Shark

Immortal
The tackle itself you can argue about intent or not but it's the use of the sin bin in this manner which absolutely makes no sense to me and has not been used in this way for well over a decade.

No player ever gets sin binned for high shots, ever!!!

They go on & get a week’s suspension but the team he offended against gets no benefit, sometimes being worse off if their player is injured.

If this is the norm now, I guess I’m ok with it but could’ve chosen a different scenario to start the enforcement of the rule.

Sutton just doing something obscure to benefit the flailing Broncos.

Fangs

Coach
Disgraceful call.

Lodge made a near identical tackle 5 minutes later. No head clash? No worries mate here's a meat pie for you.

Nerd

Bench
No player ever gets sin binned for high shots, ever!!!

They go on & get a week’s suspension but the team he offended against gets no benefit, sometimes being worse off if their player is injured.

If this is the norm now, I guess I’m ok with it but could’ve chosen a different scenario to start the enforcement of the rule.

Sutton just doing something obscure to benefit the flailing Broncos.
Like giving the penalty count to the Roosters 11-6...

Valheru

Coach
I wonder if it had been Thaiday on Cronk
Would roosters fans still be calling an injustice?

Ref was probably correct this time and wrong most other times if you were to play by the rules.

There wouldn't have been a sin bin if it was the other way around.

Nerd

Bench
The slowmo's and still shots are absolutely pointless - Sims changes his angle and compacts his frame just before contact - without doing this Napa's head is to the right of his upper body and he gets tackled across the top of his chest. Whilst Napa's technique at times can let him down there was nothing wrong here, just Sims saw Napa bolt at him and tried to avoid it but ended up making it worse, accidents happen.

The refereeing was your typical overreaction, but they'll never give up a chance to blow their whistle in this league so good for them.
Whether Sims steps him or not makes no difference. You can't as a tackler make contact with an attackers head accident or not. To those calling it a head clash it appears that Napa was intent on jamming his head into Sims melon and probably should have been sent off.

Reactions: siv

butchmcdick

Immortal
SECTION 15
PLAYERS MISCONDUCT

1. A player is guilty of misconduct if he:
(b) when effecting or attempting to effect a tackle makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly.

Discuss...

So any head clash when making a tackle and it’s a send off

I look forward to the refs continuing this interpretation for the remainder of the season

Latest posts