What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECB chairman, young people “not attracted to cricket”

Eelectrica

Referee
With the video game analogy though whilst games such as Cod, Overwatch etc have the popularity, strategy gaming still exists such as CK2, EU4, X-com etc still has a sizeable audiences in niche markets.
Can test cricket survive as a niche sport while T-20 keeps the general interest up?

Sure test cricket has its slow spots where not much is happening, and I doubt any of us watch every ball being bowled, but that's where radio comes in. Listen to the game in background whilst doing something else.
If test cricket dies, the world will have lost something very unique and that would be a shame.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
What test cricket also really needs is for people within the sport to stop claiming its "dying" or people dont want to watch it. Can you imagine Greenberg coming out claiming the NRL is dying or young people arent interested. It's insanity

DC80

Juniors
Kids want something instant that's why they sit and play playstation for hours on end.
Instant, as in instant gratification.

A video game is a constant stream of gratification.

I wasn’t brought up on cricket - only really took an interest in it during the 2005 Ashes series when for two months it was part of the UK mainstream - so I don’t appreciate the nuances such as blocking shots for half a day, or more, to get a draw. To me, from the outside, I see cricket as a throwback, a Victorian era pastime from a more sedate time that is somehow going in the 21st century, and it’s the older generation that is keeping it alive. I noticed a cricket advert on Sky this week which only has kids involved - no adults, no current players, just kids playing cricket - so there’s a clear attempt to appeal to young people. Twenty twenty I can see being the future for the game. There will always be an interest in a bat and ball game, and that looks the most likely to last.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Instant, as in instant gratification.

A video game is a constant stream of gratification.

I wasn’t brought up on cricket - only really took an interest in it during the 2005 Ashes series when for two months it was part of the UK mainstream - so I don’t appreciate the nuances such as blocking shots for half a day, or more, to get a draw. To me, from the outside, I see cricket as a throwback, a Victorian era pastime from a more sedate time that is somehow going in the 21st century, and it’s the older generation that is keeping it alive. I noticed a cricket advert on Sky this week which only has kids involved - no adults, no current players, just kids playing cricket - so there’s a clear attempt to appeal to young people. Twenty twenty I can see being the future for the game. There will always be an interest in a bat and ball game, and that looks the most likely to last.
Good luck to you watching the IPL then.

Test cricket on death watch has been talked about since it first started 141 years ago.

In that time 10 more teams have been added. 20/20 will die before test cricket.

DC80

Juniors
What test cricket also really needs is for people within the sport to stop claiming its "dying" or people dont want to watch it. Can you imagine Greenberg coming out claiming the NRL is dying or young people arent interested. It's insanity
While I was surprised that the ECB chairman came out and said it, It’s only been said after years of decline. Not exactly something you can hide forever. Low participation numbers - seen it close to home with our local team folding due to lack of numbers - sparse crowds often a feature at stadiums - bar the Ashes and the odd decisive test match. It’s tradition definitely keeps it in the public eye though. It’s part of the fabric of British society, especially the middle/upper classes, but then again so was Morris dancing and that no longer has much of a profile.

Eelectrica

Referee
T-20 is a short sugar rush, sure you get tight exciting finishes.
Test cricket is where epic stories come from. A broken Ryan Harris bowling Australia to a series victory in the closing moments of a South African series.
Peter Siddle trying to bowl Australia to victory with a weakened bowling attack and Faf hanging on for the draw.
That's some real tension and drama right there.

Our recent test series in India where we had them on the ropes but couldn't quite deliver the knock out punch, we had the match saving innings from Sean Marsh and I think Peter Neville in the third test and almost had them in the forth test in a series we did much better than expected.

Test cricket at its best is full of plot twists, heroes and villains depending on perspective.

DC80

Juniors
Good luck to you watching the IPL then.

Test cricket on death watch has been talked about since it first started 141 years ago.

In that time 10 more teams have been added. 20/20 will die before test cricket.
I like the Ashes, it’s the only cricket I watch, so I’m no supporter of limited overs. But the kids who do have a real interest in cricket have gravitated to the shorter form of the game. If a trend is going one way that’s very hard to stop.

DC80

Juniors
I noticed a cricket advert on Sky this week which only has kids involved - no adults, no current players, just kids playing cricket - so there’s a clear attempt to appeal to young people. Twenty twenty I can see being the future for the game. There will always be an interest in a bat and ball game, and that looks the most likely to last.

This is the advert in question.

Test cricket isn't to blame nor are the other formats

It's shit like AFL wanting to use our big ground for regional sports and wanting us to use drop in pitches

If I had my way any ground using a drop in would become ineligible for test matches

That shit in Melbourne was a T20 pitch