What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Napa sin bin

What should the refs have done?

• Send-off

Votes: 39 36.4%
  • Sin-bin

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • On report and penalty

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Scrum to roosters

Votes: 33 30.8%

• Total voters

Valheru

Coach
Or they decided he had been punished for his actions so no need to punish further.

The point was that on field punishment does in fact affect off field punishment which Unscrupulous wanted to pretend doesn't happen.

He would have to be cited to be punished and/or shown leniancy due to on field punishment but he wasnt cited because they don't believe he did anything reckless which was the reason for the sin bin.

What don't you understand about that?

This Year?

Immortal
If a player from my club did what Napa did I would be furious and be screaming for him to be sent off. Napa walks a very fine line with his tackling action and this one went very wrong. I'm with Skeepe and a few others in here, I think it's a send off.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
No we are saying it was reckless, if it was intentional it should have been a red card. In no way shape or form is Napas technique in that tackle normal hence why it was classed reckless and he was quite rightfully sinbinned for it. You seem very much in the minority in thinking it was purely accidental and no case to answer. Like cam smith’s leg pull, you see a leg grab in every game but what he did was take it to the next level which was reckless, he should have been binned as well. Very happy to see the refs use the bin in this way.

Re where should his head be, it’s more where his arms and body position should be. Tell you what hold your arms out right and push them Back 5degrees, bend at the waist and run at the wall, tell me which part of you hits the wall first. Yep leading with the head is going to cause you to hit your head first, shocker!

So having established that his technique meant he led with his head we now come to first point of Impact, which is very clearly high. Combined you have a pretty bad high tackle due to a reckless tackle technique. Off to the bin with you.
Just f**k off with your "red card" shit.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Who said you have to attack the head of an opponent with your body to be sin binned?

Kody Nikorima could have went for carelessly kicking the ball into Matterson's melon resulting in an HIA.

So there.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Looking at the still, the tackling style is completely unorthodox and is inconsistent with his normal style.

Probably wanted to put on a big hit and inspire the team, was reckless and broke an opposing players jaw, correct decision to send him.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Tough call but correct decision. Careless and dangerous tackling action that put an opposing player out for the rest of the match.

Clifferd

Coach
Looking at the still, the tackling style is completely unorthodox and is inconsistent with his normal style.

Probably wanted to put on a big hit and inspire the team, was reckless and broke an opposing players jaw, correct decision to send him.

Inconsistent with his normal style? He literally made a tackle on lodge with the exact same tackle technique. Only difference is lodge wasn’t falling

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Either leading and making first contact with your head is inherently dangerous and reckless or it isn't. If so, Opacic should have been penalised and binned too.

If not inherently dangerous and reckless then it comes down to the point of contact which, in the case of Napa, was the opponent's head and a penalty would have been sufficient in line with other high tackles.

You can't have it both ways.
This is next level ignorance.

Wizardman

First Grade
The idiot certainly treads a fine line and tripped over it this time, Agree with the ref here....send off would be okay as well. My first reaction when I saw it live was that it looked very deliberate.

Frailty

First Grade
I think it was an accidental head clash. I'm fine with the penalty and sin bin - IF the same is applied to all collisions with the head in an attempt to tackle.

Unfortunately, we have had years of evidence that this isn't penalised until this game. I'm fine with that standard being kept up in attempt to minimise head injuries (but I suspect it won't be)