What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fun Game: Pick Your 17

Bazal

Post Whore
And there lies our issue as a club.
His stats are good so he is our best prop... when’s the last time he bent the line? Popped an offload? Looked to run to the line then pass?
Way too one dimensional and doesn’t put any fear into opposition forward packs.
Stats aren’t everything, they often put players in a false patch of form.
Of course he will have 30 odd tackles a game, all we do is defend.
Like most of our pack, often left on the ground around the ruck no real urgency.
I’m tired of having blokes who “do the job” we need more then just smaller working forwards in this team.

I don't disagree, which is why I've advocated such signings (on top of Paulo) as Klemmer, Taupau, TPJ, Ah Mau, NAS in several other threads. But you also need a certain number of workers.

I rate players on their all round game, not just their attack. Looking beyond stats, there was a period after like 6 or 7 weeks where we had only conceded 5 or 6 tries with Alvaro on the field. I haven't bothered to work it out since because that stat served it's purpose in my fantasy league, but I'd bet it's still a fair difference between him being on and him not. You only have to watch what happened when he went off injured vs the Dogs to see a demonstration of it.

The idea that guys like him just "do their job" because they are better in defence than attack is downright silly. Beau Scott this season is an example of a guy just barely doing the job. He would, IMO, be our best prop even with Paulo here and second only to Klemmer if we signed those two (for eg) because of what he allows a guy like Paulo to do.

Anyway, if I say much more I'll get idiots like Glenneel in here hurting my brain with his ridiculousness.

hybrideel

Bench
Personally I would get rid of a 31 year old Mannah who is declining before a 25 year old Alvaro who is on the way up as a front rower and IMO already better than Mannah

emjaycee

Coach
And there lies our issue as a club.
His stats are good so he is our best prop... when’s the last time he bent the line? Popped an offload? Looked to run to the line then pass?
Way too one dimensional and doesn’t put any fear into opposition forward packs.
Stats aren’t everything, they often put players in a false patch of form.
Of course he will have 30 odd tackles a game, all we do is defend.
Like most of our pack, often left on the ground around the ruck no real urgency.
I’m tired of having blokes who “do the job” we need more then just smaller working forwards in this team.
Not disagreeing with your logic Joely, but Alvaro popped the pass against the Bulldogs that got us the French try I think it was.

Joely01

Bench
I would get rid of Mannah as well. I would only keep probably 3-4 of our current forwards.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Hayne
French
The King
Mennings
Gennings
Normy
Moses
Alvaro
King
Gower