What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Listening to the podcast that someone linked here a few weeks ago where Gus discusses cap management, it seems he does this a lot. He uses is as a gauge to see a players true market value. It also would create loyalty with the players knowing that Gus wont stand in their way if they can get a serious pay rise. It seems that most of them stay, so not a bad thing.

When he was asked on Thurs night about Peachey leaving. He said it was all cap and you need to plan ahead but you can't always rebuild. Tells me that what we have now will be the side going forward aside from the retirements to come

Surely Browne was not on anything close to $300k a season. It was claimed he was on minimum wage at the time we signed him. Which seems more likely than being on a healthy $300k contract.

Hopefully his money does free up a chunk of cap space. $300k for Browne. $500k for Carty. Whatever Peachey is on... thats alot of cap space we didnt expect to have 6 months ago.

Also... how could we not get cap relief for this year for the injury? Eels got it on Watmough for an existing injury. Ours is a freak accident and its only maybe happening next year? That's bullshit.

I first saw the article and thought maybe the $300k was for both years. The remainder of this year and next.
If a player retires on medical grounds from a non pre existing injury he usually gets paid out and the remainder of his salary doesn't count towards the cap.
I would have thought the day after he got his injury the remainder of his 2018 salary would come off this years cap (assuming we get the dispensation) which was a good 7 months worth left of salary remaining after his injury date.
I don't what the guy is on but I know some players get paid fortnightly and some monthly once contracts start. Contacts start from November 1 the previous year for the ensuing season.
So as an example, and I could be wrong the salary cap is a be of a maze and some players are paid differently.
On a basic deal without bonuses. Not necessarily Brown's deal but if could something like it.

Player salary is $150K. Gets paid monthly. By the end of March player could be paid $62,500 of his $150K deal. Leaving $87,500 left to be paid. Player gets injured. Player retires on medical grounds and gets paid out after the NRL approval. Left over payment for 2018 of $87,500 is freed up.
Club possibly uses it to upgrade a 2nd tier player like Ellis to promote to first grade squad.
Maybe that is why we won't get much of a salary cap relief this year from Browne's contract.
Just my thoughts I don't know all the in's and out's of the salary cap.

Kilkenny

Coach
I don’t claim to know much if anything about the finer details of how the salary cap works but I suspect any money freed up this season by the early retirement of Tim Browne is only likely to assist in covering the incentive payments to the younger players who have debuted this season.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the retention of Nathan Cleary is a priority for the club but not on stupid money which would result in us being unable to retain other key members of our squad such as RCG, Blake, Kikau, Hethrington and a host of others who are off contract this season and next. We also have to forward plan to allow for the next generation of future stars who are within our successful junior sides.

At the end of the day we have to fill 30 spots on our roster and as we have seen this season it is looking increasingly likely we may well end up using almost members of our squad.

It is a testement to Gould's roster management that he has been able to assemble a squad with so much depth of junior talent to add value to the marquee players in the squad which has made us so competitive.

I hope we can retain Nathan Cleary on a long term deal but not if it means losing half a dozen or more quality first graders which are critical to our longer term success.

Nathan Cleary joining up with his father Ivan Cleary has become a great media story and milked for all it is worth but I don't think it will ever happen. If he does chose to leave, in my opinion his most likely destination will be the Roosters who have Cronk off contract at the same time as Nathan and as we know money is not an issue when the Roosters want someone.

I don't agree with the views that it will be a disaster for the club if Nathan leaves and that management have let us down yet again if and when it happens.

maple_69

Bench
I don’t think he’ll leave for money. We’ll table a long deal north of a mill a season and TPAs will be easy to come by. Other clubs chasing him might offer more but I don’t think that alone would prompt a move. He’ll play at the club he wants to. I think our best pitch is winning and him getting rep jumpers.

GongPanther

Referee
I think the retention of Nathan Cleary is a priority for the club but not on stupid money which would result in us being unable to retain other key members of our squad such as RCG, Blake, Kikau, Hethrington and a host of others who are off contract this season and next. We also have to forward plan to allow for the next generation of future stars who are within our successful junior sides.

At the end of the day we have to fill 30 spots on our roster and as we have seen this season it is looking increasingly likely we may well end up using almost members of our squad.

It is a testement to Gould's roster management that he has been able to assemble a squad with so much depth of junior talent to add value to the marquee players in the squad which has made us so competitive.

I hope we can retain Nathan Cleary on a long term deal but not if it means losing half a dozen or more quality first graders which are critical to our longer term success.

Nathan Cleary joining up with his father Ivan Cleary has become a great media story and milked for all it is worth but I don't think it will ever happen. If he does chose to leave, in my opinion his most likely destination will be the Roosters who have Cronk off contract at the same time as Nathan and as we know money is not an issue when the Roosters want someone.

I don't agree with the views that it will be a disaster for the club if Nathan leaves and that management have let us down yet again if and when it happens.
Because coaches salaries are exempt from the cap,which creates a huge loophole in the system. So hypothetically,if a club wanted both Clearys,they simply pay Ivan over what his son's market price is,so he can pass on the difference to his son. He can pay his son the difference when they both retire,or invest it for him.

Kilkenny

Coach
Roosters will make a big play for Nathan no doubt. They have unlimited resources and Cronk off contract who will obviously retire at end of next season. Roosters rarely develop there own they simply buy what they require and they will need a half back.

tripster

Juniors
Roosters will make a big play for Nathan no doubt. They have unlimited resources and Cronk off contract who will obviously retire at end of next season. Roosters rarely develop there own they simply buy what they require and they will need a half back.

I see the Roosters as the only realistic threat for Nathan’s signature.

No way Broncos will sign him. They have Milford on a huge deal, as well as Jack Bird, and it would require Cleary to move cities and leave all of his family and friends behind.

Roosters are much more of a risk for all the reasons you mention. Cleary might not need to move house at all (although might like the idea of moving to Bondi) , will still be close to family and friends, and the Roosters will presumably be able to make the same arguments we will make about being able to play in a side that is a contender and all the benefits that come with that.

I suspect Cleary may be willing to stay with us if we are going very well (much better than the Roosters) and the gap in money isn’t ridiculous.

No doubt he is going to be hot property come early next year when the offers start coming in.

OldPanther

Coach
I see the Roosters as the only realistic threat for Nathan’s signature.

No way Broncos will sign him. They have Milford on a huge deal, as well as Jack Bird, and it would require Cleary to move cities and leave all of his family and friends behind.

Roosters are much more of a risk for all the reasons you mention. Cleary might not need to move house at all (although might like the idea of moving to Bondi) , will still be close to family and friends, and the Roosters will presumably be able to make the same arguments we will make about being able to play in a side that is a contender and all the benefits that come with that.

I suspect Cleary may be willing to stay with us if we are going very well (much better than the Roosters) and the gap in money isn’t ridiculous.

No doubt he is going to be hot property come early next year when the offers start coming in.

November this year is when he can get offers.

Abacus

Juniors
I think we'll see something happen quite quickly after Origin is over. If Cleary is picked (as we all think he should) and we continue in the Top 4, I think his value will have been established (i.e. he can't do much more to increase his value - other than win the comp :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Gus also won't want to disrupt Nath if he's playing Origin.

From a club view, at that point Gus may be able to put the club's best offer on the table without anyone worrying whether its overs or unders as Cleary wil be a (hopefully winning) Origin halfback. Cleary re-signing heading into finals would be a good morale boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.