What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Touch

Vee

First Grade
I watched it and enjoyed it but I'm into Touch.

Wondering if those who aren't into Touch bothered watching it and, if so, thoughts?

Saint Doc

Coach

Interestingly I came across this tweet by Riddell last night. Looking at his page, most of his tweets get zero to five comments/retweets/likes.

This one so far has 136 comments (mostly agreeing), 78 retweets and 622 likes.

Personally I think NRL touch is massive for the game, and should be supported at all costs. But like everything in rugby league, it falls victim to short sighted “back in my day” dinosaurs.

DlEHARD

Juniors
I think the variety of forms of the game is great for rugby league.

But we need to be careful not to over do it. I want to see QCUP before matches, not necessarily Touch footy.

Barkley

Bench
Touch should not be played before NRL games. What sport is the NRL trying to promote anyway?

Curtain raises should either be for the kids or lower grades.

Clifferd

Coach
I’m a fan of the concept but yeah like others have said don’t agree it should be curtain raisers. Leave that to the blokes trying to crack nrl

Perth Red

Post Whore
In rather see a full nrl women’s nines league played before games than touch. Touch is just a kick about laugh with mates down the park not rugby league.

mave

Coach
The way it is reffed, and the speed that the ruck is, the NRL isn't that far off being touch or tag these days anyway.

blaza88z

Coach
Why are the logos different for some of the teams?

nrl-touch-premiership-draw-2018-003.jpg

and by the way, it's about time we started a new comp..

Vee

First Grade
Why are the logos different for some of the teams?
I think they are the emblems of the so-called Elite 8 teams that play at the National Touch League (NTLs) each year. This is a level above the regional comp that is contested in various age and gender categories at the same carnival.

Not sure of the relationship, if any, btw the NRL clubs and the Qld Elite 8 teams of the same names. I think NSW also field 3 teams but none are NRL aligned or named.

thorson1987

Coach
Touch should not be played before NRL games. What sport is the NRL trying to promote anyway?

Curtain raises should either be for the kids or lower grades.

And that is up to the NSWRL and QRL to organize as they have control over the fixtures.

siv

First Grade
With no play the ball in touch and all of the forward passes from dummy half its a novelty

Wasnt interested in watching mens variation

If you get rid of the 45 min grass growing sessiins

Then you have a basic issue on what to put on before FG

WE have today
- 3 grades option
- W-NSWRL
- QLD or NSW Cup only
- and coming soon W-NRL

Not sure what they are planning for GF day

Crowd who used to watch RG and/or NYC have been lost to the game

Love to hear how big the crowd was at the U20s day at Leichhardt

The NRL and NSWRL are competing for the same fan base

And any true QLD/NSW Cup or Touch football fans arnt going to pay NRL prices to attend games

As a fan I will attend one game not two a weekend and will buy one set of merchandise. Otherwise its a TV product for everything else and then your competiting with a huge amount of other TV content or family or non RL events

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I keep hearing "three grades is an option" but in reality, stadiums don't want it and in 95% of cases will flat out refuse. Case in point this weekend, Newcastle's Flegg side plays at Cessnock on Saturday while ISP is before the Sharks game on Sunday at MJS.

I have no problem with touch footy being the curtain raiser to a match that doesn't have an existing option for a curtain raiser - Eels v Warriors is a prime example of that given ISP and Flegg had 'Magic weekend' on Sat-Sun.

@Saint Doc with Piggy's tweet, he probably got a lot of traction because both NRLMedia and LU's twitter accounts highlighted his tweet thereby promoting it to thousands more who wouldn't have otherwise seen it.